EDMW Knife Collectors

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
from dealextreme right?

if yes, can import

dealextremes one ish never declare on postage label.. so see heng suay if ICA xray your package anots.. but mostly will go through cos they will label camping items.

BlackWing1977

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have disappeared to seek the mystical arts of sharpening my own Rift 950... I couldn't say my knife is as sharp as before, but slicing papers is no problem. Though newspaper are abit hard to cut as Rift is abit thick at the primary bevel.

Ok.. there are also comestic scratches on the black paint work due to my first timer learning on how to sharpen knives. I have slightly reprofile the edge to 15 degrees, I think so the cutting edge is slimmer.

Any experienced pros can tell me where to get Japanese Water stones for sharpening?

Daimaru? Takshimaya?

Come to my showroom lar.... we sell so many water stones!!!!!!!!! :o

We sell mainly Kasumi Whetstones and Naniwa whetstones.

Last edited:

i_got_a_question_to_ask

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i will be doing it via vpost together with my other hoots. vpost no longer than 6"

"Thank you for your email.

Please note that the mentioned item must not be more than 6 inches long in total and item can be ship via our Portland,address only.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely

MAriani
vPOST Customer Service Officer
vPOST"

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
i will be doing it via vpost together with my other hoots. vpost no longer than 6"

"Thank you for your email.

Please note that the mentioned item must not be more than 6 inches long in total and item can be ship via our Portland,address only.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely

MAriani
vPOST Customer Service Officer
vPOST"

:eek::s31::eek::s31: Did I see correctly? Now vpost accept knives! :s7: Song!

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Come to my showroom lar.... we sell so many water stones!!!!!!!!! :o

We sell mainly Kasumi Whetstones and Naniwa whetstones.

Do You sell in sets?

I'm looking for a set like this: http://www.bladegallery.com/shopexd.asp?id=80085

I am not very interested in Kasumi or Naniwa Whetstones as litle to non reviews have been posted during my search yesterday.

How much will your company offer in a set, or exact set as above?

Please state here so that the other bros who are interested can know. If the pricing is competitive, you will have some customers :)

I will be ordering at the end of this month should I fail to hear from you.

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I ordered liao:

About 323 SGD Total with Delivery to my place.

[FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]Standard Sharpening Set[/FONT] [FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]1[/FONT] [FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]$149.95[/FONT] [FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]$149.95[/FONT]
Product Cost[FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]$149.95[/FONT]
Shipping & Handling[FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]$66.00[/FONT]
Total[FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]$215.95[/FONT]

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So expensive... if you buy from my showroom, can get immediately... for the 2 stones.

$129 + $199 = $328 (Before less 30%)

After less 30%, $229 nia.... you can save $94 dollars..... :o but you only get 2 stones, but still the same, 4 type of grit. But you can get a free lesson on sharpening if my boss is in.... and this week he is in.... :o

But you really dun need a whole stone for sharpening, if you are just doing it for your knives, it take years of sharpening to wear them out. And we do it very often over here, because we provide professional sharpening service on whetstones.
First, I would like to thank you for your kind offer.

But I made the purchase, on the following reasons:

1. Delivery to my house.
2. I get a good 8000 grit Kitayama water stone that has been tried and tested.
3. I get one stone holder
4. Why should I spend money on a brand that has not been reviewed before?
5. The Naniwa stones stated are good, but there are cheaper ones that do almost a good job as them.

That is why King and Kitayama are better choices for me. Being my Rift able to pop hairs and slice newspaper, all done on 1500 grit emery, I think I simply need tried and tested stones to further hone my knife.

Though some reviews may be slanted, but it does gives you a general idea on the product and it's differetn methods of usage.

BlackWing1977

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First, I would like to thank you for your kind offer.

But I made the purchase, on the following reasons:

1. Delivery to my house.
2. I get a good 8000 grit Kitayama water stone that has been tried and tested.
3. I get one stone holder
4. Why should I spend money on a brand that has not been reviewed before?
5. The Naniwa stones stated are good, but there are cheaper ones that do almost a good job as them.

That is why King and Kitayama are better choices for me. Being my Rift able to pop hairs and slice newspaper, all done on 1500 grit emery, I think I simply need tried and tested stones to further hone my knife.

Though some reviews may be slanted, but it does gives you a general idea on the product and it's differetn methods of usage.

Ermmm the simple reason is that not many people actually buy all these stones, hence not much reviews, hence it would be easier to go to those Japanese restaurant and ask those Sushi chef that does cutting for a living, they would be able to tell you what stone they use for sharpening, and yes they are usually those people who actually buy those stones from us, but they dun use all those super high grit stones though. They usually use a big piece of low grit stone to quickly sharpen their sashimi slicer. Those who actually bought those higher grit whetstone are those knife enthusiat like you guys, but they are more of a kitchen knife collector though. Different type of knives.

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ermmm the simple reason is that not many people actually buy all these stones, hence not much reviews, hence it would be easier to go to those Japanese restaurant and ask those Sushi chef that does cutting for a living, they would be able to tell you what stone they use for sharpening, and yes they are usually those people who actually buy those stones from us, but they dun use all those super high grit stones though. They usually use a big piece of low grit stone to quickly sharpen their sashimi slicer. Those who actually bought those higher grit whetstone are those knife enthusiat like you guys, but they are more of a kitchen knife collector though. Different type of knives.

I think the Sushi Chefs sharpen their knives before work commences. After all, it's unsightly to hone their knives infront of their customers.

Also, Sushi knives for slicing are chisel edged. Also to note, slicing knives do not require their edges to be down right sharp as they not using the knives for push cutting. Sushi knives are meant for slicing, therefore, they wouldn't need to exceed 2000 grit as they need the micro serrations for slicing.

Last edited:

BlackWing1977

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the Sushi Chefs sharpen their knives before work commences. After all, it's unsightly to hone their knives infront of their customers.

Also, Sushi knives for slicing are chisel edged. Also to note, slicing knives do not require their edges to be down right sharp as they not using the knives for push cutting. Sushi knives are meant for slicing, therefore, they wouldn't need to exceed 2000 grit as they need the micro serrations for slicing.

But I noticed my boss who is the sharpener, always sharpen from low grit up to 10000 to give it a mirror shine finish. He does the same for sushi knives also.... :s22: but i notice he uses a sand paper for the flat side instead, as he want to keep the edge chisel edge..... :s22:

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
I ordered liao:

About 323 SGD Total with Delivery to my place.

[FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]Standard Sharpening Set[/FONT] [FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]1[/FONT] [FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]$149.95[/FONT] [FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]$149.95[/FONT]
Product Cost[FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]$149.95[/FONT]
Shipping & Handling[FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]$66.00[/FONT]
Total[FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana]$215.95[/FONT]

Gong xi gong xi on chiu hoot.. too bad I think I pass up on my order.. sho expensive..
actually for honing stone, it's not so much the brand but the type of stone that matter la~
maybe I'll pop by razorsharp one of these days when I'm free.~ :D

i_got_a_question_to_ask

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi sexperts, i am no sexperts but is a grit like ~300/400 necessary (assuming no major chip)?

should 1 stone with 1k/6k combo be enough for simple sharpening?

BlackWing1977

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi sexperts, i am no sexperts but is a grit like ~300/400 necessary (assuming no major chip)?

You are right, if no major chip, you can start with 1000 and go to 3000 and above for polishing and finishing.

Hence one of our most popular stones is Naniwa Combination Whetstone at #1000/#3000, and there are 2 size, one smaller and other bigger.

BlackWing1977

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gong xi gong xi on chiu hoot.. too bad I think I pass up on my order.. sho expensive..
actually for honing stone, it's not so much the brand but the type of stone that matter la~

The best kind of stones are natural whetstones, that is what I heard from my boss, but those are hard to come by as stones that naturally can be found in nature as whetstone and with good consistency is damn rare, so if there is one, the price is very expensive. :o

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Bro, I hate to ask you this, what if your stones bought from Razorsharp isn't what you have expected?

If these stones really perform, a lot of people will be using and reviewing these stones.

It could be anything from 'feel' (during honing) to the 'finishing' during the sharpening process. It could also be the stones being too 'hard' or too 'soft' which will have different results.

Furthermore, would you trust your knives on these 'never-heard-of' stones?

I know my answer. :o

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Just to let you know, anything above 3000 grit is considered as high-finishing, though results will vary.

3000 grit (and above) Japanese stones requires Nagura stones (chalk stones).

The purpose of a Nagura stone is to creat a 'swarf' or 'slurry' to further break down the stone particles and allow it to hone your knife to different razor-sharpness.

Hope this explains and help.

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But I noticed my boss who is the sharpener, always sharpen from low grit up to 10000 to give it a mirror shine finish. He does the same for sushi knives also.... :s22: but i notice he uses a sand paper for the flat side instead, as he want to keep the edge chisel edge..... :s22:

Mirror finishing on sushi knives? Nice.

But NPNT.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.