Master Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Bear family :D

3434431716_666b42b345_o.jpg

3434431808_832c617a17_o.jpg

3433623445_679bb6d9e6_o.jpg

and... just changed to 120mm travel for my fork :love:
3472790802_25bb8c38e4_b.jpg

still patiently awaiting my Syncros DS23 rims and XT Hubs, and white WTB Rocket V saddle to come in... :sad:

speedstream

Reaction score
marin nail trail... can take 120mm travel leh

post full setup leh :o

Just back from PCN trip to changi coast road.
Stuffs are all transferred from old bike except the seatpost due to different diameter and LX rear v -brake to second hand LX rear hydraulic with XT rotor.

Hardtail owners should seriously consider this frame if planning for frame replacement.
Low Centre of Gravity.

speedstream

Reaction score
Year 2000 Mongoose with broken rear susp linkage

mt0dbq.jpg

transferred to Marin.

oppac6.jpg

LX group set.
mavic 317 disc XT front hub, mavic 211 (v-brake) rear Formula hub
ABR stem and handlebar. Front is Rockshox Judy (still going strong)

upgrades:
FD change to XT due to different seat tube diameter/layout
rear v-brake to second hand LX front and rear Hydro brake with XT rotor.
Thomson elite seat post 30.9mm

Agent Shoots

Master Member
Reaction score
more than decent. next upgrade should definitely be your fork to enjoy more :)

hup leong selling 2009 SID Race at $650, Reba Race $550..
and there's a 2nd hand 2008 SID going at $450 also... cough buy leh cough :D

speedstream

Reaction score
more than decent. next upgrade should definitely be your fork to enjoy more :)

hup leong selling 2009 SID Race at $650, Reba Race $550..
and there's a 2nd hand 2008 SID going at $450 also... cough buy leh cough :D

Hup leong very far leh, how to cycle there from TPY?

Agent Shoots

Master Member
Reaction score
Hup leong very far leh, how to cycle there from TPY?
closer than you think. i just went there and back from amk yesterday. less than 45 mins to get there at relaxed pace (25km/h)

from TPY just head towards Newton, go past KK Hospital, Little India/Bugis, Clarke Quay, Chinatown.

some more u stay at TPY, very near one la :yawn:

azimon

Reaction score
Just back from PCN trip to changi coast road.
Stuffs are all transferred from old bike except the seatpost due to different diameter and LX rear v -brake to second hand LX rear hydraulic with XT rotor.

Hardtail owners should seriously consider this frame if planning for frame replacement.
Low Centre of Gravity.
Thinking of getting this frame too. What's the sizing like? I'm about 1.7m

azimon

Reaction score
Hmm but I think you guys are using it more off road right? I'm planning to use it more on road I guess, is a longer or shorter reach better for that?

Agent Shoots

Master Member
Reaction score
i was in btw the 15" and 17". i took the 15" one for better control offroad.

i'm guessing you shd fit the 17" frame better anyway with ur height. just go down to C2C and ask. not sure if Rodalink brings in the Nail Trail frame also though.

azimon

Reaction score
i was in btw the 15" and 17". i took the 15" one for better control offroad.

i'm guessing you shd fit the 17" frame better anyway with ur height. just go down to C2C and ask. not sure if Rodalink brings in the Nail Trail frame also though.
Ah ok thanks. I was thinking that the 15" frame has a shorter top tube which means I can be more upright, which I think should be better for long distances? Although I read that bigger frames are better for on road so I'm just a little confused.

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buy fox shox, expensive one time only then no need upgrade anymore, u won't even think about changing after you use a fox.

Agent Shoots

Master Member
Reaction score
just get whichever feels more comfortable to you. your own fit cannot be determined by mine.

for many people, cycling on the road more often means you prefer speed on straights, thus a larger frame would mean a longer reach, therefore your geometry will be more racy, and thus you will be in a position to generate more power and speed into your pedalling. an alternative would be getting a smaller frame and changing to a longer no-rise stem with a straight handlebar. this usually also sets ur geometry into a more racy position. the OTHER alternative is to get a more comfy ride like you said, then train your legs lor. :wobble:

i can always go down to C2C in the evenings and let u try my 15" frame, u can also try asking speedstream if he can let you try his 17" frame.

i duno. the Nail Trail frame is really good for technical trail usage, but on road i just don't feel the oomph. budget-wise, you could get this, but for speed, i'm not sure if this is what you want, or need.

Last edited:

azimon

Reaction score
just get whichever feels more comfortable to you. your own fit cannot be determined by mine.

for many people, cycling on the road more often means you prefer speed on straights, thus a larger frame would mean a longer reach, therefore your geometry will be more racy, and thus you will be in a position to generate more power and speed into your pedalling. an alternative would be getting a smaller frame and changing to a longer no-rise stem with a straight handlebar. this usually also sets ur geometry into a more racy position. the OTHER alternative is to get a more comfy ride like you said, then train your legs lor. :wobble:

i can always go down to C2C in the evenings and let u try my 15" frame, u can also try asking speedstream if he can let you try his 17" frame.

i duno. the Nail Trail frame is really good for technical trail usage, but on road i just don't feel the oomph. budget-wise, you could get this, but for speed, i'm not sure if this is what you want, or need.
I understand what you mean, it explains a lot to me. I'm not going for speed though, so maybe the reach for 15" might be ok for me. Nevertheless, I'll go down to C2C and talk to Ben and see what he recommends. Thanks!

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Year 2000 Mongoose with broken rear susp linkage

mt0dbq.jpg

transferred to Marin.

oppac6.jpg

LX group set.
mavic 317 disc XT front hub, mavic 211 (v-brake) rear Formula hub
ABR stem and handlebar. Front is Rockshox Judy (still going strong)

upgrades:
FD change to XT due to different seat tube diameter/layout
rear v-brake to second hand LX front and rear Hydro brake with XT rotor.
Thomson elite seat post 30.9mm
hydraulics are good~ :o

Agent Shoots

Master Member
Reaction score
no worries. if you do want to try my bike out and have a feel of it, let me know, u can contact me at 97373514. i can always ride down in the evenings after work and let you have a feel of it cos sometimes, numbers and recommendations of a frame don't do as much justice as compared to actually riding a built-up bike :)

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
no worries. if you do want to try my bike out and have a feel of it, let me know, u can contact me at 97373514. i can always ride down in the evenings after work and let you have a feel of it cos sometimes, numbers and recommendations of a frame don't do as much justice as compared to actually riding a built-up bike :)
thanx :s34:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.