View Single Post
Old 29-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #668
Lonerider

Cheap wet market stones can only do so much, re profiling and sharpen edge to maximize slicing. To what you have said, I agree. But if you wanna get an edge that can slice hair, then it will take more than that cheap stone and need consistent grit to do it.

The Japanese stones are more consistent in grit size and cuts all the time.

For you and many others, you may not need to excel your current achievement. But I seek improve and to achieve the sharpest edge humanly possible.

I have seen videos with knives that can literally slice hair into half or simply splicing the hair. I want to reach this stage of an edge that can push cut into anything.

But I guess it's pointless to most of you.

This is my current method. Sandpaper, But I end with 1500.

I strop on a felt cloth.
I'm curious about something though... What is it you are planning to sharpen? The type of knife and blade steel I mean... I'd love tp see some results. May even get me one of those stones too if I can see a discernible difference. If you are talking about Cutlerylover's video in which he whittled a strand of hair I think he uses an Edgepro Apex.

If you are stropping with felt cloth I think you may as well skip it totally. All you are doing is removing surface oxide (unlikely) and grease from your hand (more likely) through polishing. It's akin to using a handkerchief to polish up a knife. Cloth, cotton, microfibre or whatever has no cutting agent or abrasive. With no compund it doesn't work. An alternative you may use is cardboard. The clay content in the cardboard actually does smoothen out the micro serrations.
Lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote