[Official cycling thread]

timelf

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just back from PCN trip to changi coast road.
Stuffs are all transferred from old bike except the seatpost due to different diameter and LX rear v -brake to second hand LX rear hydraulic with XT rotor.

Hardtail owners should seriously consider this frame if planning for frame replacement.
Low Centre of Gravity.

wah another marin. gong xi gong xi

can go off-road with agent_shoots liao!

btw, I'm in toa payoh too and sometimes go trails/road-riding with agent_shoots. if you wanna do off-road, can find agent_shoots. road riding can pm me. i am riding mtb too! :o

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score

btw, I'm in toa payoh too and sometimes go trails/road-riding with agent_shoots. if you wanna do off-road, can find agent_shoots. road riding can pm me. i am riding mtb too! :o
long kang cycling can PM moi~ :o

Auggie

Master Member
Reaction score
hmmm check togoparts i saw damn good deal for slx gruppo including cranks for like 250 only!?

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's your bicycle type? Cross country/all-mountain or..?

Cross country usually goes with 4" (100mm) travel or slightly less at 80mm. Fox has the F-series forks in that case; F80R-RLC or F100R-RLC.

Can check out on other longer travel Fox forks if your bike is an all-mountain/downhill one.

if i am riding like 80% on road - 20% off road - consider XC??

downhill mean what ah?

my current stock fork has 100mm travel...

goaheadbingostan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some tips and techniques, will update more as I come across them :D

Covering scratches: Use nail polish, its available in almost every colour imaginable and provides good protection against rust. Personally, I use Sally Hansen cus its easier to apply and dries fast, costs about $4-6/bottle.

Theft deterrance: If you've no lock and have to leave your bike alone for a few minutes, you can do one or all of these:

1) With your chain on the largest chainring (the front gear part thingy), shift so that the front derailluer (the front shifting thingy) would move to the smallest chainring. But do this WITHOUT pedalling.

Anyone who tries to cycle off would have to kick the pedals into position first, and this would render the chain jumping off the gears and getting stuck between the bike frame and smallest chainring. This effectively makes your bike unridable.

2) If you are using V brakes, disengage the front and rear brakes. This can be done by pressing both sides of the brake arms together and unhooking the brake cable from its holder. Anyone trying to cycle off with your bike will be in for a nasty shock when he finds out that he can't brake!

3) Unscrew the knob on your brake levers just enough so that it backs out without being disengaged from the rest of the brake lever body. This tightens your brakes. Meaning, it'll only require very little finger movement to give a heckuva powerful stopping power! This should give the person a rude shock as well! :happy:

4) If you are using quick release skewers on your wheels, unscrew the front skewers out and rest the front fork ends on the skewer rod. This should give the illusion that the front wheel is still attached to the fork, but the moment the would-be thief tries to cycle off, the fork would slip off the skewers and give da fella another shock. Hurhurhur...

*Added* 04/12/05

How to lighten your bike without lightening your wallet much:

1) Change your inner tubes (the stuff that inflates your tyres) to lightweight ones. Standard tubes cost about $5 and weigh about 200g each. Lightweight ones can cost around $12 and weigh 150g each or less.

Cost: $24
Total weight savings: +/-100g

2) Change your knobbly tyres to either semi-slick/slick (botak) tyres or lighter knobbly tyres. Most knobbly tyres can weigh 600g each. Lighter weight ones weigh around 300++ g, e.g. Maxxis Flyweight. But beware, the softer and lighter rubber means that it can be prone to debris getting stuck and wearing a hole through the tyre and to the tube, resulting in a puncture.

Cost: $70 and up for a pair of tyres
Total weight savings: up to 600g or more depending on the tyres.

Lighter weight at the wheels, especially the outer edge, equals to lesser rotating mass and faster acceleration.

I hear Sally Hansen is good stuff. What about padded brassiere? :s13:

patcheon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if i am riding like 80% on road - 20% off road - consider XC??

downhill mean what ah?

my current stock fork has 100mm travel...

If you are riding a hybrid or even a mtb with slicks, you might encounter problems for that 20% off road.
I had experienced the tires dig into loose sand and I got thrown off the bike when I went into very light off road at punggol point and ECP when I was on mtb with 1.3" slicks. Can be cycling along when suddenly hit a patch of loose sand. The sudden deceleration can make me to just fly off the bike. So I have 2 sets of tires, knobbies for off road and slicks when I know the trip is strictly a road ride.

For your question on what is downhill. I found this on mtbr. See the 13th post. Just take it as a reference as some seems to have different opinions.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=511610

Last edited:

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are riding a hybrid or even a mtb with slicks, you might encounter problems for that 20% off road.
I had experienced the tires dig into loose sand and I got thrown off the bike when I went into very light off road at punggol point and ECP when I was on mtb with 1.3" slicks. Can be cycling along when suddenly hit a patch of loose sand. The sudden deceleration can make me to just fly off the bike. So I have 2 sets of tires, knobbies for off road and slicks when I know the trip is strictly a road ride.

For your question on what is downhill. I found this on mtbr. See the 13th post. Just take it as a reference as some seems to have different opinions.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=511610

thanks for the advice! :D
based on the definition... I think i am into XC... :D

Last edited:

gasgasx

Reaction score
jus a heads up,

the ulu pandan PCN, near the commonwealth side, the PCN is under construction. part of it was condoned off with the ground being dug up for insertion of new water pipe. so unless u go offroad a bit or use the rickety old bridge, u won't get across to the commonwealth side.

damn, tried cycling there then half way meet this behemoth of a excavater. NB~!

cloudbp

Reaction score
thanks for the advice! :D
based on the definition... I think i am into XC... :D

make sure u get a frame that fits a 100mm fork. if size different, e.g. 140mm fork for a 100mm frame, the headtube may crack under stress. and fox F-100 series forks are not recomanded for heavy duty jumps in trails

my 2cents

cloudbp

Reaction score
for forks, there are many brands to choose form. forx, RS, mazo, Spinner... many more.
really depends on the budget and the style of riding. got cash to spare go for fox, got service centre. RS id good too with many fine tunning options for the higher end models. service wise, not as good as fox, cause no authorized agent...

best is to lun all the money one shot get fox... u never regret

speedstream

Reaction score

ok , let me sort out my bike parts/setting first.
(Think got to do something about the old RS Judy liao.)

goaheadbingostan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What do you think of this flashlight cum mp3? Speaker watt too small? Too ex. huh?

Can play my fav. Dahler Mendi and go east coast.

p2307ex3.jpg

p2307ex7.jpg

http://www.firebox.com/product/2307/Lavod-MP3-Bike-Speaker-and-Flashlight

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
make sure u get a frame that fits a 100mm fork. if size different, e.g. 140mm fork for a 100mm frame, the headtube may crack under stress. and fox F-100 series forks are not recomanded for heavy duty jumps in trails

my 2cents

thanks for the advice...

maybe i will head down and ask whether my GT can fit Fox fork or not... :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.