[Official cycling thread]

goaheadbingostan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody read strait times today regarding redesigning singapore transport system. They ask an expert for advice.

He claim for bicycle to be included part of Sg transport system, more protection shall be given to cyclist.

But he claim government does have a clue what to do with bicycle for Sg transport system :s13:

I fully agree with what he mention!

My suggestion: Government to built air pump and quick charger for bicycle and electric bicycle on gas stations. Ezlink card can be used to make payment for usage. If there is no space constraint, a small cafe can be incorporated (some gas stations have that) while cyclists can wind down. It can be a source for revenue too. More connectors can be built too.

TheoDR

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Simple. Bring industrial chain lock :D then any1 else wanna share with u charge them 1 dollar per week :D
LOL, I bought two Abus Granit X-Plus U-locks back when I was in Aussie with my NRS, even then, I didn't dare leave the bike out of my sight. :crazy:
i dun use lock, my way is to BE BESIDE UR BIKE! :s22:
LOL true :s34: But when you go for classes then how?

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
LOL, I bought two Abus Granit X-Plus U-locks back when I was in Aussie with my NRS, even then, I didn't dare leave the bike out of my sight. :crazy:

LOL true :s34: But when you go for classes then how?
seat on the bike and be attentive in class :s34:

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody read strait times today regarding redesigning singapore transport system. They ask an expert for advice.

He claim for bicycle to be included part of Sg transport system, more protection shall be given to cyclist.

But he claim government does have a clue what to do with bicycle for Sg transport system :s13:

I fully agree with what he mention!

Don't think it will be as popular as in holland or other countries due to our climate. You wouldn't want to step into office in the morning stinking and sweating.

WuSangui

Master Member
Reaction score
Don't think it will be as popular as in holland or other countries due to our climate. You wouldn't want to step into office in the morning stinking and sweating.
If u really want to cycle to work. Most logic things to do is to bring spare clothes and towel. Those guys in Holland do that too. U think they really wear suit and tie and cycle in Holland? Very short distance, they may but bulk of them wear cycling attire. I used to have a Dutch boss. Even he came to Singapore and encounter the hot weather does not deter him from cycling to work. In fact, he claim Singapore weather is best for cycling. Cos no snowing. Almost everyday, u can cycle!

Last edited:

WuSangui

Master Member
Reaction score
My suggestion: Government to built air pump and quick charger for bicycle and electric bicycle on gas stations. Ezlink card can be used to make payment for usage. If there is no space constraint, a small cafe can be incorporated (some gas stations have that) while cyclists can wind down. It can be a source for revenue too. More connectors can be built too.

Air pump u can get it at any petrol kiosk.

Electric bike? Presently no interested , Maybe when I am older then consider. :D

WuSangui

Master Member
Reaction score
Wah bro, then how you secure your bike? Maybe share tips so that other people who want to cycle to school/work but are afraid of bike theft can find out how to protect their bikes too. :D

Secure yr bike at very crowded and populated areas. That is the best way to deter thief.

Even u used those strong chain lock but lock it at a secluded. Bike thief will have a way to open it.

Only a huge presence of passerby will deter them.

Of cos, yr lock cannot be too shabby too :D

goaheadbingostan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Air pump u can get it at any petrol kiosk.

Electric bike? Presently no interested , Maybe when I am older then consider. :D

Motorists do not like it when bicylists hog the pump. No, electric bicycle is popular with young and old in the West. It is even common in PRC. We're just a dot. There are markets for all. :)

fireduke86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi,just learnt cycling and inherited the bike in the attached pictures from my cousin.It's a Trek Mt 800 from about a decade ago.

As I am new to cycling,I don't think I would want to commit a large sum at one go to upgrade the said bike.However,I have identified the wheels and the brakes as the priority items to upgrade as the the spokes are rusty and the brakes doesn't look too good as well.Moreover,I'm not exactly like some yea....

Having read through the thread and done some googling on my own,I have come up with some items to purchase and I would appreciate if any of you would be so kind as to give me some guidance.

I am basically looking at replacing the wheels with DT Comp Spokes and Mavic 717 rims. I am looking at V brakes for the moment but would of course be considering getting disc brakes in the near future.In the premises thereof,I would appreciate recommendations for now a affordable ($100+?) pair of V brakes for now and of course for other parts to futureproof my wheelset when I do decide to go for disc brake. That is of course based on the premise that this frame can accomdate disc brake (please advise)

I hope I have not exhausted your patience and goodwill with my noobish questions and I thank you in anticipation of your reply(ies)

set-72157617992139634

set-72157617992139634

The rear wheel

set-72157617992139634

Rusty wheel

ludacris10

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mavic 717 are very good :D. If u dont do offroading and dont fly down stairs then get those thick(forgot whats the thickness) slick tyres.
Vee brakes ar. Tektro? Although i'm using shimanos for my hybrid.

Welcome to cycling :)

fireduke86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
mavic 717 are very good :D. If u dont do offroading and dont fly down stairs then get those thick(forgot whats the thickness) slick tyres.
Vee brakes ar. Tektro? Although i'm using shimanos for my hybrid.

Welcome to cycling :)

Thank you for the reply,I suppose I need to get a new hub as well?Anything other items I should need to get?Thank you.

ludacris10

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm for now i guess ur still new so can get grips,seat?
Hub i think ask for reccomendations from the people manning the shop ur going too.

Try to source for 2nd hand parts for things like handlebar/stem/seatposts if your on a budget. Of coz check b4 viewing :).

Maybe can get deore groupset if you go extra cash to burn to make shifting slightly better than stock.

fireduke86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hmm for now i guess ur still new so can get grips,seat?
Hub i think ask for reccomendations from the people manning the shop ur going too.

Try to source for 2nd hand parts for things like handlebar/stem/seatposts if your on a budget. Of coz check b4 viewing :).

Maybe can get deore groupset if you go extra cash to burn to make shifting slightly better than stock.

Thanks for the prompt reply,you've been a great help!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.