EDMW Knife Collectors

BlackWing1977

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi i read from page 15-16-17 you guys still know where to get blunt/real katanas at reasonable prices? i looked at the shop at suntec its really expensive. :s22:

How much are those katana?? I heard it is not sharpened. :o

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
This arrived in the mail last week. My first custom knife. Blade is just slightly under 3inches. Handle is 440C SS with black linen micarta and SS (440C) bolsters. It is a manual flipper, the thumbstud is more decorative than functional. Blade steel is S30V cryo quenched and hardened to 59-60HRC. ed and it locks with a nice "thunk". Everything has been configured for a left hander. Blade stock was thicker than I expect. As a result of the materials and such the knife is a lot heavier than most knives in its size. Very sedated looks... Surprised with the fit and finish as this is the first time the maker made a left handed folder. First thing I did was to take a needle and make a small scratch on the steel-type etching. Now I'm not afraid to use it. I'll probably rotate this with my Endura 4 which is pictured here as comparison.

The next one is already in the works. This time with carbon fibre scales with silver twill G10 bolster. Other changes will be a thumbhole, lanyard hole and a different blade shape (took some pointers from Strider's blade shape design.

:eek: Nice! I like how generous he is with the steel thickness! For user, I think the weight is quite useful. How much did it set you back by? 200ish under 300?

cannotliao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nope.. best to direct an email to vpost instead of speculating..

i will be doing it via vpost together with my other hoots. vpost no longer than 6"

"Thank you for your email.

Please note that the mentioned item must not be more than 6 inches long in total and item can be ship via our Portland,address only.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely

MAriani
vPOST Customer Service Officer
vPOST"

front page someone emailed, vpost replied 6 inches can.
want know anyone tested.

Last edited:

Lonerider

Reaction score
:eek: Nice! I like how generous he is with the steel thickness! For user, I think the weight is quite useful. How much did it set you back by? 200ish under 300?

It's well below USD300 including shipping, pretty okay for a custom folder. Next knife will be in the same range too with some discount despite the CPM154 (not 154CM), CF and G10 being more expensive. PM me if you're interested in one. Great guy to work with and most times he won't ask for a downpayment unless you are making a special request in terms of design or materials.

Been fooling around with some fixed blade designs for the last few days. Came up with a few basic designs that may come to reality subject to financial ability. Was thinking of Damascus blade but abandoned the idea as it's just not practical. Fixed blades cost a lot less, a custom can be made for less than USD100. It depends on blade material, choice of scales, fittings and the sheathe material.

Anyway, for me nothing is cast in stone. Plans may change... Right now I'm just enjoying my knife. He puts a good working edge on it, requested it not to be shaving sharp. Not very practical for this knife due to it's thickness. I've other knives if I need that level of sharpness.

Lonerider

Reaction score
so he can create anything you design? thats giving me an idea.

Let's put it this way, if you have enough money... You can have any knife in any materials you want. There are a lot of good knife makers out there. The sky is the limit. In my case the depth of my pocket is my limit. Sometimes the cost is not materials but processes. Take ZDP-189 as an example... Great steel that takes a very good edge and stays sharp for a very very long time due to it's hardness. It's a japanese steel, not expensive but the hardness takes a lot of toll on grinding and shaping tools (belts and wheels). This means the maker spends less on materials but considerably more on tool maintenance.

i_got_a_question_to_ask

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hvszg6.jpg

vpost can ship knife with a gpgt proof. dun ask me what is in the box.

b7eulw.jpg

10zxw7d.jpg

can also ship sharpeners to slice hair

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Been fooling around with some fixed blade designs for the last few days. Came up with a few basic designs that may come to reality subject to financial ability. Was thinking of Damascus blade but abandoned the idea as it's just not practical. Fixed blades cost a lot less, a custom can be made for less than USD100. It depends on blade material, choice of scales, fittings and the sheathe material.

That's good to hear! I'm actually looking for a custom fix blade.. if it can be done under US100 it's good news!! Time to do adjust my budget forecast for end of the year!!

Lonerider

Reaction score
That's good to hear! I'm actually looking for a custom fix blade.. if it can be done under US100 it's good news!! Time to do adjust my budget forecast for end of the year!!

Yup, quite a sweet deal actually and he has quite a few types of steel too. Only thing is he is a part-time maker (full time police officer) so it depends on his work schedule and no. of orders he have. For a bit more he can also make a kydex sheathe for your blade. Best thing is despite all the online shops charging 20-30odd dollars for shipping he's only charging USD10-12. He just started work on my second custom. The production pics should be here in a few days. PM me if you need his contacts. I'm finishing up the design of my fixed blade and may send it to him soon.

InvestmentJunkie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

you might be interested to know that professional blade smiths are registered with the American Bladesmith Society and they have ranks within that society.

New bladesmiths charge less, master bladesmiths charge more, but the quality will of course go up the more experienced the bladesmith is.

I don't know what the ranking criteria is but i'm sure some of the criteria for rising through the ranks is to submit your knives for inspection by the master smiths and the knives are then tested to their extremes in all kinds of tests to see how well the blade is forged, heat treated and finished. They also need to show a comprehensive understanding of steel types, chemical make up, properties and the different types of steels and their proper heat treatment.

I prefer to buy custom pieces from registered smiths because at least I know what kind of quality i'm getting for my money and the piece will probably have more value later on especially if the smith becomes famous. US$100 for a fixed blade custom piece from a pro will be hard to find I think.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.