EDMW Knife Collectors

CombatKrieg

Reaction score
What are the rules governing knifes in Singapore? Fixed blades especially... Do they have to be under a certain length?

InvestmentJunkie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What are the rules governing knifes in Singapore? Fixed blades especially... Do they have to be under a certain length?

The last time i checked, there are no such rules. They have stupid rules against certain kinds of knives portrayed in the movies which look dangerous.

Like butterfly knives (how's it more dangerous than regular folders?), switchblades or autos, tantos and now i hear they also band daggers?

There are also no rules against carry as long as you can justify why you're carrying them. E.g. you're a chef, a butcher, going to Pulau Ubin for trekking, etc.

CombatKrieg

Reaction score
For purchase of SOG SEAL Pup ELITE? Length can or not ah... Cos i heard and read foldable knives cannot be more than 4 inches. :s11:

CombatKrieg

Reaction score
SEAL Pup ELITE la... Not the regular one, it's 9.5 inches, blade length is 4.85 inches nia. Since sushi knives can, should be no problem then... sooqing I'll be getting one in the next month and will be using Paypal. If you want I'll see how I can help... :s13:

Last edited:

i_got_a_question_to_ask

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sharing: beach rd the stretch of rd selling fishing thingy got sell knives also. 2 shops side by side. 1 is a spyder shop; the other sell many kind of knives/guns. and of cuz at marked up prices...

edit: spider shop is call sports center i think

Last edited:

CombatKrieg

Reaction score
Not exactly... Some websites accept Paypal and I'm looking around, but then again if eBay got good stuff why not? :yawn:

grenharware

Reaction score
I got a 9" SOG Tigershark in... No probs but don't try anything double-edged if you're not certain. And don't bring in like so many knives at one go. Not good sia.

grenharware

Reaction score
No, ICA did not say anything. Don't assume I've brought in a lot of knives. Thanks.

Knives are classified as "offensive weapons". If you bring in a teeny weeny folder it should be ok (unless it is assisted or can flick open) but larger knives (esp. more than 6") are subject to scrutiny.

I'll be happy to discuss in PM with you. Sensitive info ah. :look: Wait mata say I encouraging people/disclosing procedures to bring in knives...

Last edited:

Lonerider

Reaction score
No, ICA did not say anything. Don't assume I've brought in a lot of knives. Thanks.

Knives are classified as "offensive weapons". If you bring in a teeny weeny folder it should be ok (unless it is assisted or can flick open) but larger knives (esp. more than 6") are subject to scrutiny.

I'll be happy to discuss in PM with you. Sensitive info ah. :look: Wait mata say I encouraging people/disclosing procedures to bring in knives...

I think you are confused... Even a teeny weeny folder can be considered an offensive weapon. By definition an "offensive weapon" includes any instrument which if used as a weapon of offence is likely to cause hurt. Which actually includes a lot of things from bottles, to chairs and those old motorola water bottle handphones. The offensive weapons act do however mention that it is only considered to be an offensive weapon if it is carried in public or gazetted area for unlawful purposes.

Are you thinking of scheduled weapons? Because at least there is a mention of knives in that section. Scheduled weapons...

1. Any knife, sometimes known as a flick knife, which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife.

2. Any knife, sometimes known as a gravity knife, which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever or other device.

3. Any whip manufactured from bicycle or motor cycle chains or from any similar kind of chainwork. (very polular in the 60s and 70s from what I've heard).

4. All kinds of knuckledusters.

5. Any blade or other instrument attached to or forming part of a bicycle pump, metal-pipe or stick, and concealed therein, which is capable of being used for cutting or stabbing.

6. Any sword, machete or parang, axe, sickle, bearing scraper, spear, bayonet, iron rod, and the nancha-ku (segments of wood or metal joined by a chain, leather strap or cord).

Part 1 and 2 covers the auto, balis, and the assisted knives. Assisted folders are considered autos in Singapore unlike in US. The US laws consider a knife an auto only if it is deployed by a button or trigger mechanism on the handle.

Part 6 is where we get into the grey area. How big does a knife has to be before it is considered a sword/machete/parang? There are no mention anywhere in any acts or statutes. There are also no mention of the 6inch rule that is often quoted as it is an ICA and SPF standing order, not a law.

I don't think there's anything wrong with collecting knives and the subject of bringing in knives is definitely not a sensitive topic. Anyone who meets the background checks and record keeping requirements can import in knives and set up another Sheares Technology. All they need is to apply through TDB and AED for the necessary permits. For individuals there are no restrictions at all as long as the knives meets the above mentioned criterias. I and I believe many others have emailed AED and they have always maintained that it is ok to bring in knives for our own lawful use or as collectibles as long as it is not for retail. The standing order at ICA is to refer any blades to SPF for clearance. Anything less you'll only need to sign a police advice on lawful use of knives and responsibility of keeping it. After signing its off you go to enjoy your blade. Being polite helps when collecting knives from ICA. If you don't go there to collect within a week or so it will be disposed by them.

If it is referred to Cantonment then you'd collect it only if the duty officer is satisfied with your explaination. Then its sign the advice and go home with the blade. If he isn't satisfied or feel it falls under the scheduled weapons category it may be disposed or rendered safe. If you're caught bringing in an auto... Good luck to you.

The procedures are not spelled out anywhere but a few emails and phonecalls will usually settle that...

Last edited:

Lonerider

Reaction score
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646909

boker Trance Drop Point just got discontinued. congrats to those who bought before chop off.

Actually talk of it maybe being discontinued came out 2months ago and Chad did mention it on Spyderco forums. Quite sad really. Told you its a good buy and prob. still available in quite a few places. For those who don't know the OP for that thread is Chad Los Banos the designer of the Subcom, Trance and M-type that Boker made. He also designed the Spyderco Lava which coincidentally got discontinued this year. Double blow for him but he still has a day job and still do some part time knife making if I'm not wrong. His Kerambit (also known as Chadrambit) design just hit the stores 3months ago. Very sweet looking knife but its been taken off the shelf because of a design flaw (not his fault, Boker used cheap materials). If you can find one grab it. Its a cheap buy that'll prob go up in value because it didn't even lat 6months on the market. He also goes by the same handle of Daywalker on Spyderco forums.

Including our order I've 2 more knives coming in next week, else I'd buy more but those 2 have hit my pockets real hard. Maybe next month if you want to do another joint buy together.

Last edited:

grenharware

Reaction score
Asked them before. Quite ridiculous. The guy didn't want to show me the catalog (which had prices). He took out calculator, punch punch punch - ta da! Selling at more than MSRP! :eek: (FYI you can buy SOGs at half the MSRP online.) :s13:

Thanks but I'll stick to the net. :s8:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.