How much you will need to bring for a trip to Japan

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
"How much $$ should I bring for a Xdays trip to tokyo?"
"Is $XXX enough if I going Japan for Xdays?"

Seems like these questions always pop up every now and then.

While there is no definite answers to these questions, we can nevertheless break down the daily expenditures to get a rough feel on how much to bring. Our daily expenses can be broken down to the following categories: food, shopping, transport, admission ticket. So by listing out the cost of these items, buddies here can total up and estimate how much to bring.

Thus, I hope the veterans here can contribute to this list by stating the price of items they spent on. An estimate is also ok. Also state the total amount spent on expenses during previous trips, with maybe a brief description. Do let me know if there are other categories that contributes to the total expenses.

Thanks all for contributing :)

How to budget for a Japan trip
This is a short write-up on how I usually budget for my trip.
The total cost of a trip can be broken down into these few components:
- Airfare
- Accommodation
- Transportation
- Admission Ticket
- Food and Snacks
- Shopping

Airfare and Accommodations
The cost for airfare and accommodation are already known, as you would have already book these before you travel there. If you are planning to pay your accommodation by cash, then budget the amount in.

Transportation and Admission tickets
Transportation cost can be worked out using hyperdia. Admission tickets to various attractions can also be found from websites or japan-guide, so these can be easily calculated once you have fixed your itinerary.

Example – Staying in Shinjuku and going Disneyland:
Transport – 380yen x 2 for the train from Shinjuku to Maihama and back
Admission Tickets – 6200yen for ticket to Disneyland
Total for the day – 6960yen

Example – Staying in Hiroshima and going Miyajima:
Transport – 2000yen for 2-day pass which covers tram from Hiroshima to Miyajima-guchi, ferry to Miyajima, and the cable car ride up Mount Misen
Admission Tickets – 300yen for admission to Itsukushima shrine
Total for the day – 2300yen

Food and Snacks
For food, it really depends on what you want to eat. You can get cheap meals from Yoshinoya or Matsuya for less than 500yen, or dine at Michelin star restaurants. For me, I usually budget 500yen for breakfast and 1000yen each for lunch and dinner, and another 500yen for snacks/supper. This amount is enough for a decent meal at ramen joints or small restaurants in train stations. Breakfast I usually go for buns/bread from bakery or origini from convenient stores. Supper will be cup noodles and maybe some discounted stuff from supermarket.

Shopping
Shopping is a bit tricky. From souvenirs to toys to branded bags… you wouldn’t know what catches your eye along the way. Fortunately, most big ticket items can be paid for my credit cards, so you don’t need to budget them in when calculating how much yen to change. I usually give myself a budget 10,000yen for shopping for stuff such as toys and clothes, as I try not to use credit card. This amount will of course depend on how much you like to shop, and whether you want to use credit card for these purchase.

For souvenirs, a small keychain or magnet is about 300-500yen. Personally, I do not budget anything for souvenirs. I just spend whatever leftover from the previous day’s food budget.

One last thing to note. It is always better to over cater than to end up searching for atm or charging to credit cards. Leftover yen can always be kept for the next trip, an believe me, there will be a next trip :)

Tips for buffering:
I usually pay for all my accommodations in cash. If for whatever reason I overspend my budget during the trip, I can always pay for the remaining accommodations with credit card and use the cash for other things. of course this only works for longer trips where you are not based in just one location.
So far I haven't have the need to use credit card yet. But one of my travel mates did coz he shopped too much early in the trip. He paid for all our remaining accommodations with credit cards and we paid him back in cash so he has extra cash to spend.

Note: all prices are in Yen.
Yen Exchange Rate Thread:- http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/japan-271/yen-exchange-rate-watch-2118409.html

Food
Small restaurants: 500 onwards for lunch, 800 onwards for dinner
Ramen joints: 290 for chuka soba 中華そば at 幸楽園, other ramen, 390 onward
Restaurants: 3000-28000
Bento from supermarket: 400-2000
Bento: 290 (Roppongi hills, beside tv asahi, there is a supermarket call FOOD MAGAZINE)
Bento from 7-11 7-11: 400-700
Yoshinoya: 300-400 (for cheapest meal)
Tokyo Banana: http://www.tokyobanana.jp/
Fast food: 600-800
Macdonald's meal: 600 on average
Mcpork: 100
Tenya: 500 http://www.tenya.co.jp/index.htm
Jap pasta restaurant (NOT sakae pasta): 1000-1500
Tabako: 300
Drinks from vending machine: 100-150
Live Karaba crab: 7800-15000
Live scallop: 1500
Kobe beef AA grade: 8000 (200g)
Potato Farm fries: 840
Royce: 660 (additional 100 for cooler bag)
Shiroi Kobito: 600-2000+

Shopping
Gundam: 30% off the listed price at Yodobashi camera
PSP: http://kakaku.com/game/game-console/se_3/
NDS: http://kakaku.com/game/game-console/se_6/
100 Yen store/ Daiso: 105
Burberry black label t-shirt: approx. 8000
Burberry blue label: ??
Agnes B bag: approx. 5000

Transport
Train: refer to http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi, min 130 on Yamanote Line
Bus from Shinjuku to Lake Kawaguchi: 1700 (one way), 3200? (return)
Domestic flight from Hanade to New Chitose: 11000 (ANA), 9800 (Skymark), 7800 (??)
Bus in Yokohama (akai kutsu): 100 (single trip), 500 (unlimited bus + train)
Sendai Loople bus: 250 (single trip), 600 (1 day pass)
Daypass to various places: http://www.odakyu.jp/english/freepass/index.html
Kyoto city bus: 500 (1 day pass) http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html
Tram (Hiroshima): 150
Tram (Kumamto): 150
Tram (Nagasaki): 120
Tateyama Alpine Route: 10560 (from Shinano-Omachi to Toyama)
Kamikochi: 4400 (round trip from Matsumoto)

Admission Tickets/ Entertainment
Onsen: 300-500
UFO Catcher (small): 100 (1 try), 500 (6 tries)
UFO Catcher (large): 200 (1 try), 500 (3 tries)

Tokyo
Disneyland/ Disneysea: 5800
Roppongi Hills Observatory: 1500
Tokyo Tower: 820 for main observatory floor and extra 600 to go up the other top special floor
Ghlibi Museum: 1000 (must buy tickets in advance)

Osaka
Universal Studio: 6100
Osaka Aquarium: 2000
Osaka Bay Cruise: 1600
Osaka Castle: 600
Umeda Sky Building: 700

Kyoto
Kiyomizudera: 300
Kinkakuji: 400
Nijo Castle: 600

Chubu
Matsumoto Castle: 600 (300 if you purchase the tickets from Toyoko-Inn)
Matsumoto City Museum or Art: 400
Matsumoto Timepiece Museum: 300
Nagoya Castle: 500

Chugoku
Hiroshima Castle: 360
Iwakuni Castle: 930 (include Kintaikyo, ropeway and castle admission)

Kyushu
Fukuoka Tower: 800 (640 using discount coupon)
Kumamoto Castle: 500
Suizenji Jojuen park: 400
Beppu Hells: 2000

Hokkaido
transport

from shin chitose airport
JR train ~1100 yen
Bus ~ 1000 yen

from hakodate airport to hakodate JR station : 330 yen

mt usuzan tramway 1,200 return, 800 or 700 yen down (i.e u hike up the volcanic mountain <-- not a good idea if it erupts) (I GOT DISCOUNT COUPONS IN CASE ANYONE WANTS !)

hakodate yama tramway 1400 yen return, 800 yen one-way. (i recommend the one way and take the bus back down. the view from the bus at night is EVEN better than the top because it goes down a long an winding road. can see all the city lights at night and most of hakodae. really a pretty sight)

train from sapporo to asahikawa: 4,000+ yen each way
bus from sapporo to asahikawa : 2000 yen each way (my el cheapo favourite)

train from sapporo to otaru:550 yen (i remembered this one because i lost my ticket while on the way there, had to pay for the fare AGAIN at the train counter)

1 day street tram pass in hakodate: 500 yen i think, single ride, vary by distance

accommodation ** will vary dramatically depending on location and season

sapporo hotel 3-4 star off season
twin room : 7000-8000 yen
// high season (lavender, hokkaido summer, snow festival)
//: 11000-12000 yen i think

yunokawa prince hotel with private onsen in room facing the tsuruhagi straits (13,000 or 19,000 yen per pax or per room, likely the higher of the two) <-- can see fireworks from room when they have them in summer (august i think)

attractions:

yunokawa foot onsen: FREE ~! (just foot onsen only, at yunokawa onsen)
foot bath at kohantei hotel, lake toya ~ free
lake toya nightly fireworks show (from april to september i think depending on wind conditions): FREE
view from hakodate yama, freezing wind and the laughter of friends: priceless

average day trip to yunokawa onsen hotels: 700-900 yen

asahikawa zoo tickets: adult 2,000 yen ++ (cant remember but definitely not free) kids half of that i think.

food * some are recalled prices from combini, general results may differ

ramen: 800-1000 yen per bowl (general guide)
grilled hotate (scallop) in hakodate: 100-200 yen
fresh oyster: 300 yen
hotate isoyaki (grilled scallops packed in individual small packets as snacks, 500 g pack) 2,000 yen

nissin curry cheese cup noodle regular size ~150 yen
nissin seafood milk cup noodle regular size ~ //

nissin BIG cup cup noodles ~200 yen

onigiri assorted flavors, plum, salmon, cheese etc et al 130~150 yen

baumkuchen (Small individual packets at combinis) 120~130 yen

baumkuchen (famous otaru one) 700 yen for small, 1,000 yen for medium cant remember how much for big because i only bought small and medium for gifts

ponzu (soy sauce that tastes sour because yuzu is added) ~330 yen

melon ice cream at hakodate goryokaku viewing gallery ~300 yen (but very very nice)

curry rice at famous curry rice restaurant at hakodate goryokaku viewing gallery: 1,000 ~1,200 yen

clearance box of ice-cream mochi at a combini : 500 yen (it didnt taste quite nice, lotte brand food generally dont, learnt from bad experience)

drinks ( i <3 vending machines)

sapporo BEER 330ml can : 210~230 yen
sapporo BEER 500ml can: 310-330 yen
sapporo classic : // about the same

otaru beer (right beside totoro shop) 500 yen for a glass, fresh draft

each a cup/glass cup sake: 105 ~ 115 yen

royal milk tea 250ml small can 120~150 yen (depening on which vending machine)
coke 330ml 120 yen
coke giant 500ml 130-150 yen

meiji hokkaido milk fruit punch : 110-130 yen
calipis 500ml bottle : 130~150 yen
Yakult metal bottle fizzy yakult/fizzy lemonade: 110-150 yen

random soft drink/coffee from a vending machine: 90~130 yen

souvenirs

music box (imho, stupid and ridiculously overpriced) small picture frame + your choice of tune 2,500 yen.
music box (classy one, you choose a figurine/premade design and your own tune but still ridiculously overpriced and insipidly sentimental) 3000-4500 yen
music box (CUSTOM one, your own tune and one of their designs) 6,000 yen and up i think

otaru totoro shop (beside the otaru beer shop) : expensive !

lavender postcards : 105 yen for a pack of 10
lavender biscuits : 800 for a pack of 10
lavender salts ~ 300-500 yen depending on size
pictures of lavender fields : 700~1000 yen depending on size and type of shot
stepping on the fields where the lavenders are planted: priceless scolding and seeing an angry japanese farmer

FIREWORKS ! (yes, real fireworks that fly into the air and go pop with brilliant dazzling colors rather than mere sparklers)
giant variety pack with sparklers, fliers and what have you not ~ 1,000 yen
smaller assorted fireworks ~150-300 yen

car rental

small car (kei or 1.3l car) 4000~6000 yen per day depending on model, car company, insurance and/or season

petrol 120-150 yen per liter. expensive !! takaiidesne !

random uncategorizable stuff:

ankle guard from 100 yen shop : 105 yen
stetchable flexible roll bandage (that can store in a nice roll): 700 yen
stupid drying machine at asahikawa hotel that dosent dry my clothes properly : 300 yen
stupid washing machine at same above venue that dosent have soap when it washes ( most coin laundry dispense detergent) : 150 yen per wash

Last edited:

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
please help contribute to the list. i have added a few examples of expenditures.

here is my expenses for my last trip:

i spent 70k yen during my 16 days trip to tokyo and tohoku in april 2008.
meals are around 500-1000 yen each.
transport mostly covered by 10 days JR east pass, except for the first few days in tokyo, the bus rides in tohoku, and the trip to lake kawaguchi.
spend about 10k on gundams and toys.
didnt go disney :o

James Tang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bento from supermarket can range from 800 to 2000 yen (may be more).

Restaurants can differ seriously. And they display prices outside. I would say ranging from 3000 yen to 20000 yen per person

Normal ramen joint: Around 500yen to 1800 yen (depending on what you choose)

Cheapest meal we had was at Yoshinoya for around 300-400yen per person.
Most expensive: 20000 yen for 2.

Roppongi Hills Observatory: 1500yen (i think)

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bento from supermarket can range from 800 to 2000 yen (may be more).

Restaurants can differ seriously. And they display prices outside. I would say ranging from 3000 yen to 20000 yen per person

Normal ramen joint: Around 500yen to 1800 yen (depending on what you choose)

Cheapest meal we had was at Yoshinoya for around 300-400yen per person.
Most expensive: 20000 yen for 2.

Roppongi Hills Observatory: 1500yen (i think)

thanks.. added ur info to list :)

20000 yen for 2 person at yoshinoya?? tt is about SG$100+ per person??!!

Last edited:

SecretZone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Roppongi Hills Observatory: 1500 (to be confirmed) - Yes confirm... cool thing is has the 360degree open air skydeck.. subject to weather condition.. haven been up there even thou i got discount ahaha

Tokyo Tower: 820 yen for main observatory floor and extra 600 yen to go up the other top special floor

Ghlibi Museum: 1000yen - must buy tix in advance

Onsen at XXX: 300-500yen i think

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Roppongi Hills Observatory: 1500 (to be confirmed) - Yes confirm... cool thing is has the 360degree open air skydeck.. subject to weather condition.. haven been up there even thou i got discount ahaha

Tokyo Tower: 820 yen for main observatory floor and extra 600 yen to go up the other top special floor

Ghlibi Museum: 1000yen - must buy tix in advance

Onsen at XXX: 300-500yen i think

is 300-500 for onsen in general? any difference in prices for different place?

SecretZone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

SecretZone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is 300-500 for onsen in general? any difference in prices for different place?

it depend on the area and what facility it provide also. what kind of onsen water(recycle?), have outdoor onsen ? (露天風呂), etc

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think the few i went last year at shizuoka was around that price. Not a fan of onsen, so didnt really remember .. could be more

i also not a fan of onsen.. i prefer to relax in the privacy of my hotel bathtub :o:s13:

James Tang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks.. added ur info to list :)

20000 yen for 2 person at yoshinoya?? tt is about SG$100+ per person??!!

Nono..... Most expensive=Restaurant. (Normal Kaiseki set for around 12K yen) Sorry for confusion

Of course there are more expensive ones from 20K to 30K.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nono..... Most expensive=Restaurant. (Normal Kaiseki set for around 12K yen) Sorry for confusion

Of course there are more expensive ones from 20K to 30K.

ah icic

btw, can share share how much u spent in total for previous trip? to give others a better idea how much to bring :)

James Tang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ah icic

btw, can share share how much u spent in total for previous trip? to give others a better idea how much to bring :)

Errr... roughly we changed almost 600,000 Yen (was like 9K SGD can't remember the exact amount; I posted in one of the post before). This amount excludes JR Pass and Air Ticket.

Left with around 130,000 Yen (Estimate only hor).

Mostly spent on food.

Please don't use us as yard-stick cos it wasn't really a budget holiday haha....

EDIT to add: for 2 persons/for 10 days

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Errr... roughly we changed almost 600,000 Yen (was like 9K SGD can't remember the exact amount; I posted in one of the post before). This amount excludes JR Pass and Air Ticket.

Left with around 130,000 Yen (Estimate only hor).

Mostly spent on food.
so this amount include hotel?

Please don't use us as yard-stick cos it wasn't really a budget holiday haha....

EDIT to add: for 2 persons/for 10 days

no problem... better to have different inputs from different ppl. so readers can decide which one is closer to their style of travel

anfield22

Reaction score
this is all very subjective.

firstly it is subject to whether this is in TOKYO or another part of japan. most of the folks here have been to tokyo. but it is easy to forget that while tokyo is in japan, japan is not just tokyo.

secondly, if it is tokyo, it depends on which part of tokyo, because the variance is very great. for example, you have the yamanote (uptown) vs sh1tamachi (downtown) areas. a restaurant in shinjuku can be the same 'standard' as a restaurant in ueno, but the prices are a world of a difference.

everybody talks about their budget. but your budget is only have the story; the other half would be the expenses, which varies from place to place.

if tokyo is too big to generalise, then japan is impossible

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this list is not restricted to tokyo only. with more bros contributing their experience, hopefully we can have more specific price range for different areas. eg. ramen joints in tokyo uptown: XXX-YYY yen, ramen joints in tokyo downtown: AAA-BBB yen

the prices for the food probably needs more details. but as for now, i believe the price are not too far off, especially for most commonly visited areas.

and the price list for other categories are mostly fixed... so at least tt will be something useful :)

anfield22

Reaction score
hmm... i can only relate to my experiences, so let's say in tokyo

lunch set can cost about 500yen upwards while dinner set is 800yen upwards at those small restaurants

fast food outlets the meals will be around 600-800yen

jap pasta restaurant (NOT sakae pasta) 1000-1500

izakaya - DRUNK, OLD MEN + KARAOKE = NO GO

bento set in 7-11 etc. should be around 400-700

VENDING MACHINES... 100-150 depending on the drink

tabako - 300

BIIRU (beer)... honestly speaking i forgot :D but i remember going to an english (GAIJIN) pub and the drinks (beer, mixers) were around 400 each. please dont ask me why i was at a gaijin pub.

train/subway - minimum fare 130 or 160 yen i think. but you can check this online

can't think of much else.... except for this trick

ITEMS FROM 100 YEN STORE = 105 YEN

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
updated..
food list getting long, probably need to organize and sub-categorize before long :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.