Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
yes. It is much quieter, no motor noise at all and the bedroom is a nice temperature. Overall I am very happy with it now. 25-26 degrees is all I need to set it to in the bedroom for comfortable temp.

Wasn't yours a Fujitsu Inverter? (same brand as my current one...)

can they just change the Compressor Unit (i take it you mean the entire outdoor unit, right?), and keep the Fujitsu FCUs (Indoor Units); or did they change the entire system?

And did you have to pay for it?

ziggyy

Reaction score
hi all,

yesterday i went ahead and paid for a new system-4.

Got Toshiba Inverter System-4 (10-10-10-16), upgrade to thicker insulation and copper pipes and a 5-year extended warranty for ~$4400!

Too exp? It was ~$3600 before the various upgrades: ~$400 for thicker insulation and copper pipes; and ~$400 for 4 more years of warranty.

Ouch!

Got Toshiba coz their Compressor Unit is made in japan, and then i found out the staffs themselves are using Toshiba in their homes.

Hi, where did you get your aircon from? Will 16 btu be sufficient to cool a 5rm flat's living room?

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, where did you get your aircon from? Will 16 btu be sufficient to cool a 5rm flat's living room?

I bought it from GainCity. Too exp? :s8:

I built a sliding door so that my living rm can be enclosed, after which the floor area is no bigger than the master bedrm. In fact, I thought 16k BTU would be too much... but err on the safe side. =:p

ziggyy

Reaction score
Thanks. I haven't really started looking for aircons yet, not sure the pricing. Good idea abt the sliding door, may see if I can do one for my new place too;)

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I haven't really started looking for aircons yet, not sure the pricing. Good idea abt the sliding door, may see if I can do one for my new place too;)

It's not velly expensive, use the hanging ones so that there'll not be threads on the floor.

If possible let it slide towards the corridor leading to the rooms so it'll not look weird when fully opened.

Set up a mini home theatre in the living room and close up the sliding door and windows, and you have your very own Movie Screening room (hehe...)

Oh ya... this is Air-Con thread... anyhow, do spend some effort on your Air-Con installation unlike me, less than 5 years gotta change liao! Waste more $$$ like this!

And if you forsee using it frequently (like daily), try to pay a bit of attention on energy consumation. http://els.nea.gov.sg/mels/aircon.asp

Last edited:

ziggyy

Reaction score
I already planned to build a partition at the living room, can just install a door from the partition. You have false ceilings? Can the tracks/threads be placed on a false ceiling?

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
I already planned to build a partition at the living room, can just install a door from the partition. You have false ceilings? Can the tracks/threads be placed on a false ceiling?

hm... i didn't install false ceilings coz mine is HDB, dun wanna make ceiling even shorter.

But the hanging threads did not start from the ceiling, contractors installed a short false wall from the ceiling and mount the threads (hidden) on it. Not sure if i'm making myself clear... =:p

ziggyy

Reaction score
Understand what you mean, now that you mention it, my uncle also did something similar in the past. Will take a look at his. Thanks.

Meanwhile, still sourcing for a system 4 aircon. 3 bedrooms, 1 living, anyone with recommendations?

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
Understand what you mean, now that you mention it, my uncle also did something similar in the past. Will take a look at his. Thanks.

Meanwhile, still sourcing for a system 4 aircon. 3 bedrooms, 1 living, anyone with recommendations?

i think installation is very important for A/C.

INSULATION. If done badly, can result in condensation (sweating), cooling inefficiency. Apparently AMAFLEX is the choice insulation brand. And thicker is better, but also means larger trunkings (ugly). Should get at least 1/2" thick, or 3/4"if it is going to run inside false ceiling. 1"? :s22: Singapore is very humid leh!

COPPER PIPES. Again, thicker is better. More resistent to gas leaks. New refridgerant R410a (common in Inverters) uses higher pressure than the older R22. Apparently local standard is Gauge-23 (lower number means thickness walls) for R410a, but i read some European Manuals that says at least 0.8mm thickness for Copper Pipe walls (which is Gauge-21!). :eek:

PLACEMENT of FCU (Fan Coil Unit). When deciding on this, think of maintenance. Is it easily to access it? And if it leaks or water drips from it, would it be disasterous?

poseidongal

Reaction score
air con limitation

I got one question.

Below is one of my shortlisted aircon.

Daikin compressor MA56EV1 (20,267BTU/hr) system 3 which uses FT25DVM (9000BTU/hr).

Does that means if I only on 2 FCU i will receive 9000BTU/hr from both FCU but if i on 3 FCU then i will only receive 6000++ BTU/hr as it is being limited by my compressor?

Is my theory correct?

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
I got one question.

Below is one of my shortlisted aircon.

Daikin compressor MA56EV1 (20,267BTU/hr) system 3 which uses FT25DVM (9000BTU/hr).

Does that means if I only on 2 FCU i will receive 9000BTU/hr from both FCU but if i on 3 FCU then i will only receive 6000++ BTU/hr as it is being limited by my compressor?

Is my theory correct?

yes. at least that's what GainCity told me when i asked them in depth on this.

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi.. just got this thread when searchin from google. really a gd thread talkin about aircon as i also findin threads about aircon. started readin a few page in this thread.

recently started to knw more and researchin about aircon stuff since my hse jus installed new aircon 2 weeks ago.

jus a info to all here, mine is a daikin system 4, 3 ticks. is a non-inverter. model of compressor is same as posidongal, MA56EV1. 3 x FT25DVM, 1 x FT50FVM. i brought it from FairPrice Xtra at jurong point @ $2799. installer is TRENDS HOME ELECTRICAL. they did a very gd installation. after search many thread/forum, nobody brought it from fairprice xtra.

after 2 weeks of using, no problem at all wit the piping. even previous aircon also no problem too. previous one was fuji electric system 2. using it for 8-9years. not sure which installer. i check the circuit diagram of the old one, it is usin 2 compressor.

answerin to posidongal, the total of compressor is 20267btu/hr.(1 big compressor w/ 4 valves) so if u on all 3, it wil be divide by 3. but max fcu btu is 9000. (living rm one is 18000btu/hr)

actually from my point of view, it is best to on 2 fcu at the same time. but i dont tink both fcu wil be at the same temp at same time. so no matter at which time which fcu switch on, its stil the same ba.
At 1 time when i start on the aircon wit 2 fcu, i note down the meter outside my hse. so after i switch off, it is 8kWh. so is around $1.50 for 6 to 7hrs usage. not sure is it same as other ppl usin the same model?

Last edited:

simmo2741

Reaction score
Wasn't yours a Fujitsu Inverter? (same brand as my current one...)

can they just change the Compressor Unit (i take it you mean the entire outdoor unit, right?), and keep the Fujitsu FCUs (Indoor Units); or did they change the entire system?

And did you have to pay for it?

My previous fujitsu compressor was a different model to yours. They changed the whole system. I had to pay 800 more. Justifiable as they went from a system 3 to a system 4 compressor with bigger BTU fan coils in two rooms.

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My previous fujitsu compressor was a different model to yours. They changed the whole system. I had to pay 800 more. Justifiable as they went from a system 3 to a system 4 compressor with bigger BTU fan coils in two rooms.
gd tat they finally do something about it which change to a better one. but their advice on selection of aircon to suit your house was way too bad.

wat was the model tat they change to?

devilrazor

Master Member
Reaction score
nid comments pls

my dad juz bought MHI inverter multi split system 3 for $2850

energy saving 4 ticks

compressor is SCM60ZG-S and 3 X SKM28ZG-S @ $2520

1 X stainless steel bracket for $150

1 X power point 15amp for $180

free cover 4 plywood fov

so total is $2850

warranty - 1 yr part, 3 yrs workmanship, 5 yrs compressor

free lighting voucher worth $50 and service voucher worth $120

installer is from best tech aircon engineering pte ltd

next thurs will be coming down to install

is the price ok? is best tech good?

anyting to note when they are doing the installation?

Last edited:

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u read from the 1st page, actually there r some ppl happy n also not happy wit best tech installation.

devilrazor

Master Member
Reaction score
if u read from the 1st page, actually there r some ppl happy n also not happy wit best tech installation.

i have read from page 1 to the last page

thought many are not happy with all best?

eh all best is best tech?

and there a few disappointed with Hong Tar

devilrazor

Master Member
Reaction score
i read the replies here and found out tat MHI inverter aircons are not really cold?

anyone using MHI can comment abt tis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.