Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveYourAirCon

Reaction score
I am looking of non- inverter system2 aircon unit. any recommendation and if possible the pricing as well.
Thanks

I saw Courts advertised Panasonic inverter system 2 at $2399 w/installation + extra warranty or bar fridge. Usually we can expect to get cheaper and better deals at neighbourhood shops, so I'd usually prefer to deal with them most of the time. Non-inverters should be much cheaper, somewhere a few hundreds less.

Last edited:

LoveYourAirCon

Reaction score
sometimes all those features are gimmicks...do you really feel the effect of ions, cross-flow fan means powerful air flow? how do we define powerful air flow?

I see your point. However, I think that whatever the features any products that are advertised and launched in the market (especially reputable companies), they are strongly backed by their resources and capabilities to produce and sell what they proclaim. I believe in 'you pay for what you get', you want the good stuffs, pay better money for them.

E.g. try the difference of a john little's $20 business shirt offer compared to those over $50s. One clear result is the pricier shirts need less or even no effort to iron them, whereas the $20 shirts get crumpled easily and needs lots of ironing.

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dont mind sharing more what you know about inverter systems? Cuz what I learnt about inverters is that the compressor operates full load until desired temperature is achieved before reducing power to run at optimal output enough to cool and maintain desired temperature. And that it doesnt turn off and on the compressor frequently like non-inverters just to maintain the same cooling temperature. So what we can expect to get is usage cost savings over long term, as well as less risks of premature compressor malfunction.

compressor malfunction? i don't think so. Do you know my Fujitsu inverter outdoor unit up lorry after only a short span of 4yrs? Replacement + repair cost me a $900...

IMHO non-inverter is still good to go for if ur usage is not tat high.. if u r not using ur aircon for more than 10hrs.. the inverter doesn't save u much.. its juz help u save a little.

Anyway i just started to use my Daikin non-inverter system.. nxt month my bill should reflect how much electricity i had use..

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dont mind sharing more what you know about inverter systems? Cuz what I learnt about inverters is that the compressor operates full load until desired temperature is achieved before reducing power to run at optimal output enough to cool and maintain desired temperature. And that it doesnt turn off and on the compressor frequently like non-inverters just to maintain the same cooling temperature. So what we can expect to get is usage cost savings over long term, as well as less risks of premature compressor malfunction.

although inverter system can help u save some money every month. but when it does hav problem, u wil be headache. the components inside is 2X more compare to non-inverter. n if tat person wasnt sure about repairing inverter system, it wil gets bigger. n the savings for inverter r very small only.

ziggyy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Considering a system 4, probably non-inverter system for 3 bedrooms + one large living & dining room. Shortlisted 3 brands, Toshiba (MIJ compressor), ME (Bcos of Jack Neo’s irritating face, actually cos of 22db noise and easy clean function) and Daikin. Probably going for 9+9+9+18 or more.

Usage pattern is probably one aircon at a time, maybe 2-3 hours on weekdays evenings, 5-6 hours during the night (have a tendency to get up and switch off near morning when it gets colder). Weekends maybe abit longer but not by much. Wife scares cold but I need the aircon to sleep or work comfortably.

Any recommendations/comments. Popping by a Gain City to get some quotes this evening or Thursday night but like to go in a little more prepared.

Thanks.

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Considering a system 4, probably non-inverter system for 3 bedrooms + one large living & dining room. Shortlisted 3 brands, Toshiba (MIJ compressor), ME (Bcos of Jack Neo’s irritating face, actually cos of 22db noise and easy clean function) and Daikin. Probably going for 9+9+9+18 or more.

Usage pattern is probably one aircon at a time, maybe 2-3 hours on weekdays evenings, 5-6 hours during the night (have a tendency to get up and switch off near morning when it gets colder). Weekends maybe abit longer but not by much. Wife scares cold but I need the aircon to sleep or work comfortably.

Any recommendations/comments. Popping by a Gain City to get some quotes this evening or Thursday night but like to go in a little more prepared.

Thanks.
if u wan to get system 4, than toshiba wil be out of the list. as the max for them is up to system 3.

as for ME, there is one choice for system 4, as indicate from coolserve.com.sg(go to this website is a gd guide), but look at the energy efficiency rating, its 2 ticks. it is also using R410A gas, which is very exp. plus the pressure of this gas is 2 times of R22.

lastly a gd choice to go for is Daikin(9k+9k+9k+18k). many choices. energy efficiency rating is 3 ticks. which is better.

u might wan to adjust to 26 degrees wit auto fan speed.

Last edited:

cannotliao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why R410A?
1) Environmental Friendly!!!!!!!!
R22 is a Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs), which is an Ozone Depleting Substance.

2) More Energy Efficient
Airconditioners using R410A usually have slightly better EER than those using R22.

3) More Reliable.
Airconditioners using R410A are designed for heavier duty and has a thicker compressor shell as compared to airconditioners using R22.

4) Slightly Quieter.
The parts generally smaller and sturdier thus has less vibrations.

5) 'Cleaner' Piping system
Most of the airconditioners using R410A has an additional device called “filter drier”. Its purpose is to filters, cleans, and dries the refrigerant and oil as 'moves' through the piping system.

http://singapore-aircon-r410a.blogspot.com/

Will it be very expensive to 'refill' the R410A?
YES! Currently it is about 2 times more expensive than R22. Producing R410A requires more expensive raw materials, more manufacturing processes, and are still not having a production quantity that of R22. But as the Montreal Protocol takes effect on the developed countries and on a later time the developing countries, the trend will shift.
BUT wait!!! Why should there be a need to 'refill' or charge your airconditioner with R410A? or R22??
Both the refridergants do not 'used up' over the time like petrol in cars, the only reason why you should ever refill is because there is some kind of leakage in your piping system or it was not sufficiently charged in the first place.

any one know how much we need to pay for R410A now if we need to top up the gas?
how much is the very expensive compare to R22?

should we go R410A for the environment?

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not really now for R410A. wait til a few years later when R22 is phase out, than at tat time we hav to consider R410A than..

but if were to say u install new R410A aircon, than by the time when R22 phase out, it shld be alot cheaper liao. normally the gas shld be able to last for 5 years.

unless u suay installation not gd, than leak. which causes u to top up R410A gas.

if say R410A for the environment, y not they phase out R22 earlier? so now all use R410A gas lor? like tat isnt it better? haha...so dont care abt this 1st la..

Last edited:

cannotliao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then why in this case do manufacturers want to bring in their R410A model earlier instead of keeping to R22 till 2016?
1) They ,as international companies, need to play a part in making the world a better place, in terms of environmental matters. Understand? Image issue....
2) The trend is moving towards R410A and using this refrigerant does indeed allows a more efficient air conditioner.
3) The developed countries had already started phasing out R22 therefore it is not logical (economically) for the manufactuers to produce the same model of airconditiones using both R22 and R410A for all the markets.

http://singapore-aircon-r410a.blogspot.com/

the site have detail about R410A vs R22

after reading all the plus points about R410A, if pay extra $100~$150 for R410A, it still acceptable to me.

anyone know now topping R410A how much we got to pay?

stormcontrol

Reaction score
Qn for the bros out here. Surfing coolserve to get a pricing on a ME sys 3 invertor setup i've been eyeing. Saw two options on the pricing page i'm not very sure about. What's the stainless steel bracket and the power point option for? Do i need it? (installing in my new hdb flat with aircon ledge one)

Also, interested to get quote from Hong Tar but where to go? I went to the address on their webpage (enterprise hub) and found something like a workshop. Go in never see anybody, walk around abit and still didn't run into anybody so i left already. Do they have a showroom proper i can go to and someone to talk to??

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Qn for the bros out here. Surfing coolserve to get a pricing on a ME sys 3 invertor setup i've been eyeing. Saw two options on the pricing page i'm not very sure about. What's the stainless steel bracket and the power point option for? Do i need it? (installing in my new hdb flat with aircon ledge one)

Also, interested to get quote from Hong Tar but where to go? I went to the address on their webpage (enterprise hub) and found something like a workshop. Go in never see anybody, walk around abit and still didn't run into anybody so i left already. Do they have a showroom proper i can go to and someone to talk to??
stainless steel bracket is for those w/o ledge.

cannotliao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
79310362.jpg

http://www.daikin.com.sg/svc_charges.asp

this what i found on Daikin website of R410A gas charges.
for that price diff...i vote for R410A.

bobo07

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all, im new to air-con,

went down to gain city at cck to get some advise, salesman rec mi to get mitsu inverter 3.. for bracket cost is $150, upgrading of insulation to armflex al this plus plus is $3400. then went over to courts, they have a more transparent pricing... quoted mi at $2999 for sanyo inverter 3 with 5yrs warranty and 2 yrs installation warranty plus upgraded piping and insulation at no extra cost. as for bracket is only at $130. seek for expertise here for which aircon to get..

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all, im new to air-con,

went down to gain city at cck to get some advise, salesman rec mi to get mitsu inverter 3.. for bracket cost is $150, upgrading of insulation to armflex al this plus plus is $3400. then went over to courts, they have a more transparent pricing... quoted mi at $2999 for sanyo inverter 3 with 5yrs warranty and 2 yrs installation warranty plus upgraded piping and insulation at no extra cost. as for bracket is only at $130. seek for expertise here for which aircon to get..
mayb u would go to coolserve.com.sg to look at the spec n functions of both.. this shld help u to better compare both.

zmonstor

Reaction score
I have place an order on Hitachi Sys 3 RAM65Q8~3XRAK25N5 cost $3388. The followings are the breakdown:

Hitachi Sys 3 RAM65Q8~3XRAK25N5 from GC - $2699
additional 4 yrs warranty - $359
Bracket - $150
Upgrade to Armflex 1/2", copper 23 to 22, 16MM drainage pipe - $180

Is it expensive?

I have read through the posts. No one mention about Hitachi air con...

Is Hitachi air con? Need some advise... Thanks.

ziggyy

Reaction score
if u wan to get system 4, than toshiba wil be out of the list. as the max for them is up to system 3.

as for ME, there is one choice for system 4, as indicate from coolserve.com.sg(go to this website is a gd guide), but look at the energy efficiency rating, its 2 ticks. it is also using R410A gas, which is very exp. plus the pressure of this gas is 2 times of R22.

lastly a gd choice to go for is Daikin(9k+9k+9k+18k). many choices. energy efficiency rating is 3 ticks. which is better.

u might wan to adjust to 26 degrees wit auto fan speed.

Thanks:) Been checking coolserve website for rough idea, seems like Daikin's the one but will also check Gain City for a quote. If inverter's price is not too way off, may get one instead but still leaning towards a non-inverter cos of our usage pattern.

abba77

Reaction score
Hi, Really headache now.. need to change old air-con :(

Notice quite a number of people are changing/upgrading their air-con recently. I suppose you guys are living inside during the upgrade..

- Any experience to share?
- Any tips to minimize the mess?
- Any good company to recommend?
- Need to move to furniture out to make spare for the workers during installation?
- Is it better go for single or 2 trip installation?

Your advise is much appreciated :)

tazzi80

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, Really headache now.. need to change old air-con :(

Notice quite a number of people are changing/upgrading their air-con recently. I suppose you guys are living inside during the upgrade..

- Any experience to share?
- Any tips to minimize the mess?
- Any good company to recommend?
- Need to move to furniture out to make spare for the workers during installation?
- Is it better go for single or 2 trip installation?

Your advise is much appreciated :)

Just had my aircon changed last friday by Gaincity. Bought the Toshiba system 3 non inverter. 2 person came at around 10 and finished at around 4pm. Just try to cover your furniture as much as possible and remove all those small small items to an area where you can close the door as it would be quite dusty, especially if they are going to drill holes around the house. Don't really need to move those big items furniture, unless its right underneath the aircon then I would strongly recommend you move, cause would be very dirty beneath the aircon.

For mine I actually used back all my old trunking cause I don't want them to destroy all my false ceiling as well if they were to tear down and change the new trunking, so that might be your consideration if your trunking is not by itself currently. 1 trip should be enough, as least for me cause you only have to clean up 1 time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.