[Official cycling thread]

kopite11

Reaction score
interested in getting a giant bicycle...
my budget is around $700..
any models fall into this price range?
thanks

ilovesashimi

Reaction score
guys.. i also have another question.. for road bikes ..

can you ride them on pavements ?( will it damage the tyres?) not those uneven ones la

if there's a pothole at the road, and your traving around 30km, and you happen not to see it. then run over it. pothole around the plam size. about 2 cm deep. will you fall off?
thanksss:yawn::yawn:

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
i find it quite hard to do. cuz bike weight quite heavy.

practise makes perfect.. can do one..

haha, cuz tyres never pok before. so didn't know anything about tubes. :s13::s13:

i just went to get my tyres fixed, it costs 10 bucks for one tyre. is the price quite steep? but he also help me put in... am i paying for the manpower? :yawn: how to bring the tubes along with me sia, so thick -____-

get a saddle bag or something and put 1 tube in, tgt with ur tire levers and tool set..

IMG_1519-.jpg

better be safe then sorry.. :)

YoYo1881

Reaction score
Hello,

I just ordered below SAFRA event bicycle:

- S$320 for front suspension Polygon mountain bike
- Paya Lebar Air Base Runway for cycling & roller blading on 21 Jun (Sun)

Look see spec & picture:

http://www.safra.sg/page.aspx?pageid=448

Guess I'll need to spare some $ for lock, side stand, mud flap or mayb even thinking of a "uncle" type basket :p

Looking @ day to day leisure cycling zero off road... shld I change the tyres?

Any comments on "must have" accessories/ "good to upgrade" spare parts & pricing info much appreciated.

zenotic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Giant Anthem X.1 won What Mountain Bike mag's Bike of The Year award! :love: :love:

Maybe I got my bike one year too early. :crazy: :s13:

Chief, I check with you. Where do you usually ride your Anthem huh ? PCN or trail ? How's the climb ? Whats the weight ? You feel full sus viable for long distance or not ?

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i find it quite hard to do. cuz bike weight quite heavy.

haha, cuz tyres never pok before. so didn't know anything about tubes. :s13::s13:

i just went to get my tyres fixed, it costs 10 bucks for one tyre. is the price quite steep? but he also help me put in... am i paying for the manpower? :yawn: how to bring the tubes along with me sia, so thick -____-

will consider.. Thanks :look:

Not asking u to jump or lift the bike off, just shift your body weight only.

tubes can fold until quite small, just carry 1 in your saddle bag or tie to your frame, just in case burst, anytime can change.

WuSangui

Master Member
Reaction score
ii just went to get my tyres fixed, it costs 10 bucks for one tyre. is the price quite steep? but he also help me put in... am i paying for the manpower?

10 bucks is expensive liao. Even presta one with long tubes plus manpower will not cost u 10 bucks.

If u wanted go for long distance cum nite cycling. It is better to know how to change tube and bring the neccessary equipment.

TheoDR

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Chief, I check with you. Where do you usually ride your Anthem huh ? PCN or trail ? How's the climb ? Whats the weight ? You feel full sus viable for long distance or not ?

Yoz :s34: I usually ride it to east coast or trails like Ubin or BT/T15. Climb is actually addictive as I swear I can feel the bike squirt its way up with each pedal stroke. (No innuendoes intended :s13: )

Current weight of my '08 Anthem is 26lbs without the saddlepack and loaded water bottle.

Below are its specs:

17052008980.jpg

17052008982.jpg

- Large sized frame with Fox Pro Pedal RP20 shock.
- "Stock" Fox F100RLC fork. (upgraded on shop floor from F100RL)
- Stock Race Face Evolve XC stem.
- Stock Race Face Evolve XC low riser bar.
- Stock full XT drivetrain and hydraulic brakes + rotors.
- Crank Bros Eggbeaters SL (stainless steel) pedals.
- Stock Michelin XCR Dry[2] tubeless tyres.
- XTR hubs + Stan's Olympic ZTR + doublebutted spokes wheelset.
- Thomson Elite setback seatpost, uncut at 440mm.
- Fizik Gobi XM saddle.

Long distance will be especially viable and comfortable since a full susp bike will transmit lesser shocks to you as compared to a unsuspended bike, therefore the rider feels less fatique.

Pogo-ing effect is negligible or non-existent, haha, pew can testify to that as he's tried my bike before. :o I leave the shock's lockout feature on "off" at all times. :o

If you're planning to get an Anthem, test ride one and see if you like its quick handling, since not everyone may like it.

To compare the '08 and '09 Anthem:

- '08 has slightly more aggressive geometry and therefore slightly faster handling than the '09 Anthem.
- '09 Anthem is even lighter than the '08 one, on top of that, even longer rear travel at 4". The '08 one has 3.5" of travel.

I guesstimate that an '09 Anthem with my bike's specs could probably squeeze the weight down to 25lbs or less. :eek:

Its probably noteworthy to say that my '04 NRS with roughly the same parts spec comes in at 28lbs, and also that the alu '09 Anthem already weighs less than the carbon frame Anthem Advanced. :crazy:

TheoDR

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
By the way, those who want to blow like maybe 700-800 bucks on a wheelset can look at one of these:

1) XTR hubs + white or black ZTR Olympic + doublebutted spokes
2) red Hope Pro II hubs + white ZTR Olympic rims + doublebutted spokes

Wah, I think whiterat will love the white wheelset. Saw those bling blings at HL earlier today. :love: Some more both about the same price!

Oh ya, I also saw the new Crank Bros super bling bling wheelset. Costs about twice the wheelsets mentioned above though. :crazy:

TheoDR

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just ordered below SAFRA event bicycle:

- S$320 for front suspension Polygon mountain bike
- Paya Lebar Air Base Runway for cycling & roller blading on 21 Jun (Sun)

Look see spec & picture:

http://www.safra.sg/page.aspx?pageid=448

Guess I'll need to spare some $ for lock, side stand, mud flap or mayb even thinking of a "uncle" type basket :p

Looking @ day to day leisure cycling zero off road... shld I change the tyres?

Any comments on "must have" accessories/ "good to upgrade" spare parts & pricing info much appreciated.

Yo, looks not bad. Tyres wise, you can consider changing to WTB Slickasaurus or Panaracer T-Serv if you're mostly on road. Iirc, its about $35 or more per tyre.

Must have accessories would be:

- helmet ($65 and above for Bell/Giro brand)
- gloves (price depends on brand and whether half/full-finger gloves)
- x2 spare tubes ($5 and above for Cheng Shin brand tubes or others)
- floor pump ($20 and above)
- hand pump ($20 and above)
- "Cold Patch" patch kit (for punctures, should be less than $10 for the orange boxed one)
- good tyre levers (less than $10)

Hope this helps. :)

alrasvee

Reaction score
Hey guys woodlander here.. Not sure if i introduced myself before.. hehe..

Anywaiz here's my humble ride.. Left with a few more upgrades... :s22:

SDC16396.jpg

lonestar86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tube cost 6 bux each.

When u mounting kerb, lean back, let the front wheel clear keeping ur weight to the rear, once the front wheel clear, lean forward and let the rear wheel roll up.

great idea. thks..

zenotic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yoz :s34: I usually ride it to east coast or trails like Ubin or BT/T15. Climb is actually addictive as I swear I can feel the bike squirt its way up with each pedal stroke. (No innuendoes intended :s13: )

Current weight of my '08 Anthem is 26lbs without the saddlepack and loaded water bottle.

Below are its specs:

17052008980.jpg

17052008982.jpg

- Large sized frame with Fox Pro Pedal RP20 shock.
- "Stock" Fox F100RLC fork. (upgraded on shop floor from F100RL)
- Stock Race Face Evolve XC stem.
- Stock Race Face Evolve XC low riser bar.
- Stock full XT drivetrain and hydraulic brakes + rotors.
- Crank Bros Eggbeaters SL (stainless steel) pedals.
- Stock Michelin XCR Dry[2] tubeless tyres.
- XTR hubs + Stan's Olympic ZTR + doublebutted spokes wheelset.
- Thomson Elite setback seatpost, uncut at 440mm.
- Fizik Gobi XM saddle.

Long distance will be especially viable and comfortable since a full susp bike will transmit lesser shocks to you as compared to a unsuspended bike, therefore the rider feels less fatique.

Pogo-ing effect is negligible or non-existent, haha, pew can testify to that as he's tried my bike before. :o I leave the shock's lockout feature on "off" at all times. :o

If you're planning to get an Anthem, test ride one and see if you like its quick handling, since not everyone may like it.

To compare the '08 and '09 Anthem:

- '08 has slightly more aggressive geometry and therefore slightly faster handling than the '09 Anthem.
- '09 Anthem is even lighter than the '08 one, on top of that, even longer rear travel at 4". The '08 one has 3.5" of travel.

I guesstimate that an '09 Anthem with my bike's specs could probably squeeze the weight down to 25lbs or less. :eek:

Its probably noteworthy to say that my '04 NRS with roughly the same parts spec comes in at 28lbs, and also that the alu '09 Anthem already weighs less than the carbon frame Anthem Advanced. :crazy:

Thanks alot for the comprehensive coverage. Actually I dig the Maestro technology but dont really like the idea of buying from Tay. Am also contemplating dwlinks at the same time. My discipline involves XC.

TheoDR

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the comprehensive coverage. Actually I dig the Maestro technology but dont really like the idea of buying from Tay. Am also contemplating dwlinks at the same time. My discipline involves XC.

Most welcome man, I think only Tay brings in Giant? Unless you buy from other shops that get their bikes thru Tay other otherwise. :crazy:

Perhaps you can try both the Anthem and the dwlink bikes to see which you prefer?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.