UniSIM GPA grading system

slsquare

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey

wanna if anyone know what does the GPA system mean??

just got my result and 1 got a F for one subject.. :(

wanna check

1. the GPA is over how much? some told me is 4.0 some told me is 5.0
2. in order to proceed to the next level. how much is need?
3. how to remedy the overall GPA in order to graduate?

now

Semester GPA : 2.25
Cumulative GPA to date : 2.86

bigfatman

Reaction score
total GPA is 5. to progress average GPA must be 2 and above.
and if fail 1 subject next term if u repeat that subject again it will be total GPA for the subject divide by 2
eg. subject A u get F which is 0 for this term. next term u get 5 so it 0 + 5 /2 = 2.5 (for repeating)
are you entile to resit? if yes, normal calaculation will do.

to advance to honour program, average GPA must be 3 and above.

to graduate with normal degree average 2 is enough.. anyone can comment or add on?

Last edited:

toffees

Reaction score
yr CGPA 2.86 which are mostly Bs & Cs are good enough to proceed to nxt sem. if ure taking biz/fin/mkt degree (which dnt hv honours at all no mattter how well u do), u just need to pass all yr modules till grad can liao. and u will hv yr basic degree. :)

Skyeagle

Reaction score
1) The GPA is over 5.

2) You need a min of 2.0 to proceed to next level.

3) Pls download and read page 45 to 46 of the student handbook inside your student portal.

There is an illustration of the calculation. Basically, the no. of credit units plays an important part in affecting your GPA. So if you have a 10cu course and you do badly for it, your GPA will be pulled lower compared to a same grade at 5cu.

The damage has already been done. If your course is a normal degree without any honours classification, then not so bad. Otherwise, it affects your honours classfication and you need to work harder to push your grade up.

iabyss

Reaction score
Sorry off track a bit... any idea which class of honors would one receive for GPA 4.25/5 with UniSim.

slsquare

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
asking for friend, if a CORE subject failed twice (include resiting) does it mean he is going not able to grad??

slsquare

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
total GPA is 5. to progress average GPA must be 2 and above.
and if fail 1 subject next term if u repeat that subject again it will be total GPA for the subject divide by 2
eg. subject A u get F which is 0 for this term. next term u get 5 so it 0 + 5 /2 = 2.5 (for repeating)
are you entile to resit? if yes, normal calaculation will do.

to advance to honour program, average GPA must be 3 and above.

to graduate with normal degree average 2 is enough.. anyone can comment or add on?

just to clarify, the definition for resit and repeat is it the same? normal calculation, mean (whatever my resit result + 0) /2 right?? Yes. i am entitle for re-sit. so i don't need to go thought the whole course and just need to submit my ECA? how about the quiz and misc test??

Last edited:

slsquare

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) The GPA is over 5.

2) You need a min of 2.0 to proceed to next level.

3) Pls download and read page 45 to 46 of the student handbook inside your student portal.

There is an illustration of the calculation. Basically, the no. of credit units plays an important part in affecting your GPA. So if you have a 10cu course and you do badly for it, your GPA will be pulled lower compared to a same grade at 5cu.

The damage has already been done. If your course is a normal degree without any honours classification, then not so bad. Otherwise, it affects your honours classfication and you need to work harder to push your grade up.

thanks for the explanation, at this point it is a normal degree, if the result is good enuf for a honours, UniSim will offer me to proceed to Honours.

also if it is possible to re choose other Elective? the course which i fail is Elective Course and i am entitle to resit. can i opt to drop this module and take up another elective course. if pass that elective.. will it pull up my GPA instead of retake that will divide by 2.

zeroex

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most of this info can be found in the student handbook pdf.
Just log in and read the student handbook to see the section on gpa and scoring.

slsquare

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
saw liao. dun understand especially on the resit part. any kind soul and explain this in lay man terms?

subject to any relevant award regulations) be permitted to take up the option to re-sit the
examination or to re-submit assessment work that counts in place of or in addition to an end-of-course
assessment, if you fail a course and:
(a) Have achieved, for that course, an overall assessment score of at least 40 in continuous
assessment and where applicable, have met the threshold requirement on the continuous
assessment component and
(b) Have attended the examination and have achieved the minimum threshold level specified by the
Examinations and Awards Committee (for courses that have an end-of-course assessment) and
(c) You will be subject to the conditions set out in paragraph SA 2.9.2.

Skyeagle

Reaction score
1) Yes, you can choose a new elective to replace.

2) Your failed elective will be taken into consideration into your overall GPA.

3) If you choose to resit, you will only need to take the exams only. Your quiz and test will use back the old results.

Skyeagle

Reaction score
asking for friend, if a CORE subject failed twice (include resiting) does it mean he is going not able to grad??

Since he fails the resit, then he will have to go through the whole cycle of taking the entire course again. He will need to submit TMA, sit for quiz again.

junhui98

Reaction score
Since he fails the resit, then he will have to go through the whole cycle of taking the entire course again. He will need to submit TMA, sit for quiz again.

So it mean fail the whole course? Or just need to retake that module?

Last edited:

xiaozhi86

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hello, i need some help..

i'm a 1st semster student that just get my 1st sem result..

i fail 1 of my module and i obtain grade F but pass all my other module..

so how can i know i qualify for a re-sit just the exam or die die i must repeat my whole course? i did pass my TMA and online quiz for the subject i fail.

lastly, if i'm able to resit for exam, how much i need to pay?

P.S: i taking the IT course and i choose 5 module (3 Uni core which i pass and 2 module of IT which i fail 1)

Melpzg

Master Member
Reaction score
hello, i need some help..

i'm a 1st semster student that just get my 1st sem result..

i fail 1 of my module and i obtain grade F but pass all my other module..

so how can i know i qualify for a re-sit just the exam or die die i must repeat my whole course? i did pass my TMA and online quiz for the subject i fail.

lastly, if i'm able to resit for exam, how much i need to pay?

P.S: i taking the IT course and i choose 5 module (3 Uni core which i pass and 2 module of IT which i fail 1)

ok i try explaining
u remember ur course registration? from ur 2nd registration, u will have the option to choose whether which current modules u want to resit if fail.
so basically, i think if u neva select u want to resit for any, next sem u wont resit unless u edit ur registration

now if u fail for the 1st time for any particular module, u can juz resit for the exams
fail the same module the 2nd time, u need to retake entire module

resit exams, i think cost 100plus (i need to check, forgotten how much)

xiaozhi86

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok i try explaining
u remember ur course registration? from ur 2nd registration, u will have the option to choose whether which current modules u want to resit if fail.
so basically, i think if u neva select u want to resit for any, next sem u wont resit unless u edit ur registration

now if u fail for the 1st time for any particular module, u can juz resit for the exams
fail the same module the 2nd time, u need to retake entire module

resit exams, i think cost 100plus (i need to check, forgotten how much)

ok, i'm really glad for your fast reply..

ya, i think i got choose resit. so when can i choose to resit? i can only choose when the payment for july sems that period is it which is on this coming wed onwards?

i read from student handbook that say got revision class is it? is the class free and dun need any extra payment?

thanks as i quite worried cos i'm a 1st sems student in unisim and i very suay happen to fail 1 module

Melpzg

Master Member
Reaction score
saw liao. dun understand especially on the resit part. any kind soul and explain this in lay man terms?

subject to any relevant award regulations) be permitted to take up the option to re-sit the
examination or to re-submit assessment work that counts in place of or in addition to an end-of-course
assessment, if you fail a course and:
(a) Have achieved, for that course, an overall assessment score of at least 40 in continuous
assessment and where applicable, have met the threshold requirement on the continuous
assessment component and
(b) Have attended the examination and have achieved the minimum threshold level specified by the
Examinations and Awards Committee (for courses that have an end-of-course assessment) and
(c) You will be subject to the conditions set out in paragraph SA 2.9.2.

a) when u fail ur module, u can resit for exams ONLY if u get minimum of 40% for CA(which is online quiz and TMA) neva get 40% = retake whole module

b) must at least attended the exam? the rest not sure
c) not sure

hope it helps in explaining part of it

Melpzg

Master Member
Reaction score
ok, i'm really glad for your fast reply..

ya, i think i got choose resit. so when can i choose to resit? i can only choose when the payment for july sems that period is it which is on this coming wed onwards?

i read from student handbook that say got revision class is it? is the class free and dun need any extra payment?

thanks as i quite worried cos i'm a 1st sems student in unisim and i very suay happen to fail 1 module

ermm i think if u want to choose to resit, either do it during course registration (during last sem, nearing exams time) or after exams results (see below)

extracted from ur student mail(check ur mail for course offer)
"We would also like you to note that the Course Choice Amendment (CCA) period runs from 24 June 2009 to 29 June 2009"

i guess u can change ur choices here

revision class shld be free,but got to ask unisim since its newly implemented.
its normally held b4 exams (i think u been to some since u started ur 1st sem)

xiaozhi86

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no, i'm a new student and this is my 1st exam result..

that why i everything dunno + i really low morale and scare..

hai..

ok, will go down to unisim once the CCA start and ask them..

really make me low morale

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.