What To Look Out For When Buying Mobile Phone

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For singtel customers, you can go to their new Hello branch at Golden Shoe. Deserted during saturdays. It's a small shop, but waiting time is a lot shorter than those shopping centre branches. I wsan't even issued a queue number on a saturday evening. Straight to the service counter. :s22:

hello! Golden Shoe Car Park
50 Market Street
#01-19 Golden Shoe Car Park
Singapore 048940
Mon - Fri : 10am -7.30pm
Sat : 10am - 6pm
Sun/PH : Closed
Nearest MRT Station: Raffles Place MRT

KR_CLK

Reaction score
hi..

JuZ to check wit u guys.. are there any life timer for htc? in particular htc touch cruise.. thinking of getting 1 but want to make sure then it is absolutely new!

Thanks!

ironman4672

Banned
Reaction score
best advise is to buy from those big telco shop like hello shop... or starhub shop.....safer.....;););););)

tinydot

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for nokia life timer the number looks 00xx:yy. how to interpret it? days/mths/years??

shadow_allan

Reaction score
Incompetent Sales Persons

Another thing to look out for are incompetent Sales Persons.

We went to Mobile Square at Far East Mall and asked to look at a 2nd hand phone up in the shelf. The sales person told us that he'll get the phone only if we are buying it. That is rubish! How are you buying a 2nd hand phone without checking its condition first?!

I am not singling out Mobile Square, it may happen anywhere (Sim Lim, Lucky Plaza to name a few). We just need to watch out for these kind of Sales Persons. For what it appears to me, it seems that they are hiding some defect on the phone.

You might notice that this is my first post.
Yeah, thats how infuriated I am right now.

democlh

Reaction score
Hi
Is there any specific advice for buying from 2nd hand dealers?
I just lost my phone and intend to get a used replacement (SonyE) for the first time

I am going to bring my notebook, to test the transfer of backup info from notebook to HP memory

I am concern about warranty, a few dealers quoted me 3 mths
- is this a concern? must ask for warranty in writing?
- if got problem, can we ask for money back?

Is the battery a big issue? one dealer told me battery no warranty

What is the most important HP functions to test/check for before paying?

Read about checking for stolen phones.. but is it any concern if I happen to buy one?

Thanks in advance

Pillowsweet

Reaction score
iPhone ot HTC Touch HD

I wonder is there any shop that sells 2nd hand HTC HD now... So nice... I saw one shop sell 16G iPhone for 680 dollars,,.. dunno wu hua anot..

spate_sp

Reaction score
screwed

ekkk too late to read this thread.. yesterday i bought c905 for my bro for CNY...from sim lim.

they did use those '2-3%more if u pay with nets' and 'the price said was before GST only when i was about to pay'.

and worst, they gave me no warranty card tho i bought the set with one. it's my fault that i failed to check but i asked my gf to take video of the whole process as i was aware of those ppl from sim lim tend to cheat shoppers.

is there any legal action or any solution to be taken using video???

my CNY mood is aldy ruined. :(

EthanKoh

Reaction score
Query

An overseas sellers is selling me a brand new unopened UNLOCKED Carbon Arte 8800 Nokia manufactured from Finland, with 1 year warranty for only USD 450. Anyone knows if there's any catch or problems?

tingyuan

Master Member
Reaction score
it is too dangerous to buy 3G IPhone from Sim Lim Square shop or near burtington mobile shop selling 8GB 3G IPHONE for $1200. The shop level 1 quote me $1000 exclude 7% GST + $180 Jailbreak thing for 8GB 3G IPhone. It is not that I can't afford to pay S$1200 for 8gb iphone. I feel un secure to buy from them (Ah BENG UNCLE). It could be the set is refurbished as new. Level 6 staff told me 8 out of 10 shop in sim lim square selling mobile phone will con you.

Last edited:

techmatic

Master Member
Reaction score
An overseas sellers is selling me a brand new unopened UNLOCKED Carbon Arte 8800 Nokia manufactured from Finland, with 1 year warranty for only USD 450. Anyone knows if there's any catch or problems?
When it's too good to be true, it's isn't true.. NEVER BUY FROM UNVERIFIED OVERSEA SELLERS unless you wish to throw your money into the drain

screamsoflust

Reaction score
Buy phones which can COD,earpiece if not used make sure its sealed,if used see if its dirty,hygiene is important man!data cable,original charger,MMC if available and the size of it,yah,MMCs are cheap now,but still!box imei and hp imei tally,usually i would check *#06* for imei see if it tallies with box and the imei stick at the back of the phone.unless its an iphone,check is the battery is original authentic and not bloated,dented or peeled,if its brand new or new call timer 00.00 is a must,warranty card stamped and unfilled if brand new or new,check the housing thoroughly for dents scratches and see if the white sticker for wetness is still white.check speakers,mics,flash,camera,bluetooth,wifi,calls and charging were applicable.and if i wanna get a hp,id rather buy it cash then buy it from telcos,they eat you alive with their monthly fees and the termination fees..i'd buy CASH!

screamsoflust

Reaction score
Btw,SLS,Lucky Plaza and anywhere which claims the 7%gst must be registered to claim the gst!!you can check with the GST reference number in their receipt,most of these shops are just cheats.check around ask around first,know what you want and thr actual pricing,just becos you can fork out that much money,you wanna let someone you barely know earn more than they should by claiming GST?its GOVERNMENT SERVICE TAX,they musr be registered with the government to claim payment for it,besides if export sets its meant for export,so no tax or custom charges as its not meant for Singapore use,its for overseas use,so no need to pay GST.use your brain and think..

Cheers!

screamsoflust

Reaction score
Hi
Is there any specific advice for buying from 2nd hand dealers?
I just lost my phone and intend to get a used replacement (SonyE) for the first time

I am going to bring my notebook, to test the transfer of backup info from notebook to HP memory

I am concern about warranty, a few dealers quoted me 3 mths
- is this a concern? must ask for warranty in writing?
- if got problem, can we ask for money back?

Is the battery a big issue? one dealer told me battery no warranty

What is the most important HP functions to test/check for before paying?

Read about checking for stolen phones.. but is it any concern if I happen to buy one?

Thanks in advance

why think so much?can afford?happy not happy with the phone,happy buy,not happy don't buy,got problem or basically dislike the phone,sell it off or trade in for another one lah,why bother?stolen phones?who bothers?if afraid of all these,i suggest get a 1st hand lor,but get it cash don't sign contract,waste time tied down which contract must service every month..just get a phone for your needs,used or new,and move on,don't think too much!

MRC

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Nowadays phone trade in SG is too messy too much gimmicks already. Esp for Sonyericsson phones can say almost 70% of the phones out there is export set just throw in a warranty card and claim its local set.

Just make sure when buying any phones ask the seller to write down something like this + stamp their company stamp on the invoice so its valid in the eye of law.

Sonyericsson C905 (Brand new local warranty set)
Imei: XXXXX-XX-XXXXXXXX

Without this been written they can just say sorry did you buy it from somewhere else its not mine. Then you LPPL already.

LittlePinkApple

Reaction score
Motorola, has life timer, use the following

press the green button or send

Click on options, Call times and then from there it should display lifetime which you can't reset, but all the other call logs you can reset

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.