Which Linux for Noobs?

T3rmite

Reaction score
I am interested in testing out Linux using my laptop (ASUS M5200 - 1.6GHZ 768MB ram).
I did a search on the internet on which is suitable for noobs like me and which has higher distribution (thinking will have better support) and free :p

I narrow down to Mandriva One 2009 KDE and PCLinuxOS.

As I said, I am very new to Linux and hope to be able to user friendly interface. Will be mainly used for surfing net, Open Office and GIMP etc.

I hope that advise can be given to me whether is the above mentioned two will be suitable for me and if not any other recommendations.

Thanx in advance

Edit: Seems that a lot of people are using UBUNTU and describing how easy it is to use. I may try this out first.

Last edited:

T3rmite

Reaction score
I have tried out Linux Mint. However, when I tried to download programs like VLC player etc there isnt any version specifically made for Linux Mint.

Will I be able to use the UBUNTU version since Linux Mint is base on that?

T3rmite

Reaction score
My first post using UBUNTU!!! The installations was simple and the interface is easy to understand.
Love the updates and listing of programs available for downloads :)

Thanx again for all of your inputs in helping making the first move to LINUX :)

ov2rey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sorry for hi-jack this thread

i looking for a os, i also looking at windows 7

my main point is using Atom desktop N330 = 2cores + HT..

using for Home File server and torrent download

which os is the most easy way to setup file server? other then windows 7

benghacks

Reaction score
+1 for ubuntu. As default apps for BT and u can install samba if u want for ur filesharing later.

ipevery

Reaction score
If u are running it as file server only (no gui stuff), freenas is your friend.

http://www.freenas.org/

For running torrent, u can try the command line version of rtorrent on the same box. Low resources and u can just screen it to run multipile instances.

http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/

sorry for hi-jack this thread

i looking for a os, i also looking at windows 7

my main point is using Atom desktop N330 = 2cores + HT..

using for Home File server and torrent download

which os is the most easy way to setup file server? other then windows 7

233mmx

Reaction score
I've been using Ubuntu for abt a year, it's pretty user friendly as compared to the others I've tried over the years (e.g. Caldera, Mandrake)

Here's a short video I made showing some cool compiz fusion add-ons:

Last edited:

faruk55

Master Member
Reaction score
I am also a noob and using getting to play with ubuntu by WUBI installation..

asuna88

Reaction score
ubuntu, its relatively user friendly and comes with essential programmes like firefox, openoffice, pidgin etc so u can start using immediately.. been using it for a over a year now, pretty satisfied with it since it breathes new life into my aging laptop. the ubuntu forums are also extremely friendly and helpful

pcteo

Reaction score
I am interested in testing out Linux using my laptop (ASUS M5200 - 1.6GHZ 768MB ram).
I did a search on the internet on which is suitable for noobs like me and which has higher distribution (thinking will have better support) and free :p

I narrow down to Mandriva One 2009 KDE and PCLinuxOS.

As I said, I am very new to Linux and hope to be able to user friendly interface. Will be mainly used for surfing net, Open Office and GIMP etc.

I hope that advise can be given to me whether is the above mentioned two will be suitable for me and if not any other recommendations.

Thanx in advance

Edit: Seems that a lot of people are using UBUNTU and describing how easy it is to use. I may try this out first.
In fact any distro can be for noobs.
u may try Linux mint 7, it is by far instant usable, no tweaking require for most use.

When using linux, u need to learn 1 thing - 'command line'. this is one of the most difficult part for newbies, but that is linux, u will need it in 1 way or other.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.