Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLLKeV

Reaction score
hey mypj_88, which gain city did you go to? i went to 2 different ones, 1 at amk and the other at marina. can't stand the attittude of the guy at amk. had a more pleasant experience at marina. spent 1.5hr there bombarding the guy with questions and asking for quotes.

mypj_88

Reaction score
hey mypj_88, which gain city did you go to? i went to 2 different ones, 1 at amk and the other at marina. can't stand the attittude of the guy at amk. had a more pleasant experience at marina. spent 1.5hr there bombarding the guy with questions and asking for quotes.

causeway pt. i was asking for pros & cons for inverter & non-inverter. he asked me how much budget i have.

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
hee... i wanna state that i'm not recommending any company per se, just relating GC does a better job than my previous free-lance contractor. Who knows? Maybe most air/con companies do a better job than him. =:p

however i would like to say something about Inverter aircon here...

The inverter actually refers to an inverter circuitry in the compressor unit that inverts the 50Hz A/C into a D/C. By doing that the rotational speed of the compressor can thus be regulated.

The inverter air/con is like having a 5-spd ceiling fan. During initial power up, it goes to spd-5 to cool the room to a designated temperature than it goes to a lower speed, say spd-1~2 to maintain the temperature.

for a non-inverter air/con, it only has one spd which is the max spd, so when the designated temperature is reached, it will switch off and when the room needs cooling again, it'll go spd-5.

The following is my own speculation: ;)

i think the inverter circuitry is some sort of power electronics and as such may not have such a long lifetime. So although theoretically inverter air/cons should save energy cost, the extra cash put in plus the 'speculated' shorter life-span may or may not be worth while. :s8:

Me? I got inverter! :D

There's also the issue of R22 gas versus R410a gas. Again supposedly R410a is more efficient, but it runs at 1~2x the pressure of R22 so installation costs increases with the need of thicker Cu pipes. Many inverter air/con uses R410a, while i have yet to come across non-inverter air/con using R410a. :look:

also if you wanna use R410a but your previous air/con uses R22 gas, you would need to replace all the Cu pipes. Although some contractors may say it's okay... i'd suggest you read up a bit before buying their story. :s8:

Last edited:

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hee... i wanna state that i'm not recommending any company per se, just relating GC does a better job than my previous free-lance contractor. Who knows? Maybe most air/con companies do a better job than him. =:p

The inverter actually refers to an inverter circuitry in the compressor unit that inverts the 50Hz A/C into a D/C. By doing that the rotational speed of the compressor can thus be regulated.

The inverter air/con is like having a 5-spd ceiling fan. During initial power up, it goes to spd-5 to cool the room to a designated temperature than it goes to a lower speed, say spd-1~2 to maintain the temperature.

for a non-inverter air/con, it only has one spd which is the max spd, so when the designated temperature is reached, it will switch off and when the room needs cooling again, it'll go spd-5.

i think the inverter circuitry is some sort of power electronics and as such may not have such a long lifetime. So although theoretically inverter air/cons should save energy cost, the extra cash put in plus the 'speculated' shorter life-span may or may not be worth while. :s8:

There's also the issue of R22 gas versus R410a gas. Again supposedly R410a is more efficient, but it runs at 1~2x the pressure of R22 so installation costs increases with the need of thicker Cu pipes. Many inverter air/con uses R410a, while i have yet to come across non-inverter air/con using R410a. :look:

also if you wanna use R410a but your previous air/con uses R22 gas, you would need to replace all the Cu pipes. Although some contractors may say it's okay... i'd suggest you read up a bit before buying their story. :s8:
agree wit your post!

oh...haha. than gd luck to your inverter! :D

ahh...there is actually, non-inverter using R410A. Mitsubishi Electric hav lots of it.:s13:

but for inverter using R22, than Daikin hav lots of it.

mikezuper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Great post, very easy to understand!

agree wit your post!

oh...haha. than gd luck to your inverter! :D

ahh...there is actually, non-inverter using R410A. Mitsubishi Electric hav lots of it.:s13:

but for inverter using R22, than Daikin hav lots of it.
Daikin strategy is interesting.. hmm..

mypj_88

Reaction score
Thanks thesingingbard for the post of inverter.

Hi All,

i called coolserve in the afternoon. spent 15min to talk about my need & their product & service. Gave them my email, and they had forward me a quotation.

Hi Chunliang,

coolserve ppl mentioned that i may need to check with hdb, to place outdoor condenser at service balcony or must install bracket. But they offer a site visit to show me how the piping run.

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hi All,

i called coolserve in the afternoon. spent 15min to talk about my need & their product & service. Gave them my email, and they had forward me a quotation.

Hi Chunliang,

coolserve ppl mentioned that i may need to check with hdb, to place outdoor condenser at service balcony or must install bracket. But they offer a site visit to show me how the piping run.
no need check, its already stated on the website tat it is approved to place it at service balcony.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10205p...tions and Method of Installation?OpenDocument

coolserve nv do homework arh? LOL..

controller

Reaction score
yup.. under "compressor type", if there got "TWIN" word, means is 2 compressor inside. if didnt, than it is one.

having 1 or 2 compressor inside, it depends on yr usage n also hav advantage n disadvantage too.. but than getting one wit 2 compressor inside consumes more electricity.

Thanks chunliang... understand abit further...

My usage will be mostly only 1 bedroom ON for night (7hours) and another bedroom On once in a while for night.. (maybe once a week).

If I got a TWIN compressor type, for my usage of most 1 room on at night, will it only switch on 1 compressor of the TWIN?

I want to get s non inverter sys3.

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks chunliang... understand abit further...

My usage will be mostly only 1 bedroom ON for night (7hours) and another bedroom On once in a while for night.. (maybe once a week).

If I got a TWIN compressor type, for my usage of most 1 room on at night, will it only switch on 1 compressor of the TWIN?

I want to get s non inverter sys3.
in this case, daikin wouldnt suits u as daikin non-inverter is 1 big compressor. so only other brand non-inverter wil use 2 compressor inside.

terumo

Reaction score
To: Controller,
You shld get Twin compressor brands like Panasonic or Toshiba. These 2 are quite reliable brands.

mikezuper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hi All,

Hi Chunliang,

Bro mypj_88,

Is coolserve using Armaflex as well as better copper pipe?
I went to ask GC and they give G-flex and if want to top-up to Armaflex and better copper pipe, it will cost me another $180, so overall is $80 more ex than coolserve.

Did you checkout Hong Tar?

Who did better job of installation: Hong Tar, Gain City or CoolServe?
So it wont leak and less problem for next cool 5-7years? :D

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
some say gain city giv armaflex.. but well, since they wan u to top up to get armaflex, might as well go coolserve liao..haha.

mypj_88

Reaction score
Bro mypj_88,

Is coolserve using Armaflex as well as better copper pipe?
I went to ask GC and they give G-flex and if want to top-up to Armaflex and better copper pipe, it will cost me another $180, so overall is $80 more ex than coolserve.

Did you checkout Hong Tar?

Who did better job of installation: Hong Tar, Gain City or CoolServe?
So it wont leak and less problem for next cool 5-7years? :D

Hi Bro. Mike,

In the quotation, it stated standard installation. Additional charges for copper pipe more than 15mtrs per FCU, and thicker insulation will charge $80 per FCU. I had replied coolserve's email to ask for the materials used.

By the way, the price from 3.6k+ - 3.7k+ quoted for system 4 inverter-Mitsubishi electric - Daikin - Toshiba.

I dont know about Hong Tar. Maybe you could give me their contact, I will call them.

Hi Chunliang,

Thanks for the HDB link. I had check before, but dont understand. Because my service balcony is beside 2 toilets. No direct link to rooms. Not sure how the pipe run. Will arrange coolserve to have a site survey, if confirm to use their service.

siriusb

Reaction score
Hi, would like to check with 'old bird' here. Is there any limitation or i can install any multi spilt air cons that i want.
eg: AMPS not enough to power the air con

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Bro. Mike,

In the quotation, it stated standard installation. Additional charges for copper pipe more than 15mtrs per FCU, and thicker insulation will charge $80 per FCU. I had replied coolserve's email to ask for the materials used.

By the way, the price from 3.6k+ - 3.7k+ quoted for system 4 inverter-Mitsubishi electric - Daikin - Toshiba.

I dont know about Hong Tar. Maybe you could give me their contact, I will call them.

Hi Chunliang,

Thanks for the HDB link. I had check before, but dont understand. Because my service balcony is beside 2 toilets. No direct link to rooms. Not sure how the pipe run. Will arrange coolserve to have a site survey, if confirm to use their service.
u got any floor plan? or to draw out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.