The Leather Thread

scasi

Reaction score
Hi, can't seems to find a thread regarding custom made leather product.

Let me start some

69383_443883994596_565224596_5414992_5917068_n.jpg

p8280861.jpg

dsc_0489.jpg

66572_443883894596_565224596_5414987_3104915_n.jpg

Leather Care Contribute by Viix

Use oil sparingly. Leather's property is in its ability to maintain it's stiffness and rigidity over nylon. For a belt, use it when the belt seems dry and hard or after exposure to water.
Leather when drying after being soak, will because hard and stiff.. let it dry slowly then apply..

For footwear, apply on crease areas so the oil can help the leather to stretch. Repetitive bending of the leather cause the fibre to break down and tear/crack

Mink oil is design to replenish the natural oils in leather after the leather gets wet, or under prolonged exposure to heat, which cause the porous leather to lose it's natural oil and stiffen up.

Obenauf LP can also be used, and is something I prefer over any oil. The wax & propolis based penetrates the leather, and gives it a nice soft finish without the floppiness of oil alone. It was designed for firemen boots due to the wet and hot environment which wears down leather fast..

Be aware though, obernauf darkens the color.

As a note, there really isn't a need to apply anything to leather belts or wallet. Most of the oil from our hands and daily usage will allow the leather to age naturally, and enjoy the natural leather. Unless it's for something that will be expose to the elements, then use obernauf LP. These give alot more protection than oil.

I recommend applying it for footwear, especially at the seams. A generous coat makes any footwear water proof yet not lose it porousness and allows the leather to breathe.. Much better than goretex!

Thick belt, no need to apply anything. Maybe after prolong use, a little oil every few months on the crease so the leather wrinkles instead of crack, or wax periodically since wax doesn't soften leather like oil do.

Avoid petroleum based wax.

Last edited:

scasi

Reaction score
the 3rd pics card holder with the conchos is red moon.....
No time to post the pics, will do some over the weekday!

Do show some of your leather products!!!

scasi

Reaction score
Biker Wallet

DSC02070.jpg

Veg Tan Cowhide Leather

DSC02091.jpg

White Crocs Leather with Big Horn Back

DSC02092.jpg

Veg Tan Hand Carve Leather

scasi

Reaction score
BBCurveMechanismCase1.jpg

BBCurveMechanismCase2.jpg

BBCurveMechanismCase3.jpg

gickrcom_7daa0cff-03c1-29b4-7120-d4.gif

Build with Black Cowhide Soft leather, I have combine to use the covering flap as a mechanism to operates as a lifter to the phone.

Simply open flaps, pull the flap, the Curve will automatically lift up. (See GIF pics)

kelvinpooh

Reaction score
Hi where did you get all your leather stuff customized?

Not too common in Sg, or at least I have not seen any myself = )

scasi

Reaction score
Hi where did you get all your leather stuff customized?

Not too common in Sg, or at least I have not seen any myself = )

Got lah, at Heeren 4th floor. What do you want to make??

Recently, I saw a craze for Olympus E-P1 Pen camera, did a retro classic camera straps, damn classic, will take a pics when come across one!!

kelvinpooh

Reaction score
Really? Will go check it out. Currently do not have any idea what to make yet.

Wanted to make a pair of leather shoes, but just bought a number recently so not making in near future (not in sg)

But HP holder and key chain looks pretty good to me.

kelvinpooh

Reaction score
Shoes are possible.

But perhaps not in sg. Hand made shoes/Bespoke shoes in europe is common but super expensive.

Might try one in Shanghai, cost I think about 150 - 250 sgd, depends on leather and design, leather or rubber soles is an option as well.

But of course leather shoes the design more classic, dun dare to make a funky looking one with lotsa details and end up not wearing it =p

scasi

Reaction score
Never tried custom made shoe before yet, do drop by there, they have really good leather craft, but you have to spend more time exploring there

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.