Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisSaha

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Quite new to all this air-con stuffs, so wish to seek all experiece people here to guide me.

Recently, my old air-con spoiled already, so intend to change a whole new system.

Going for a Inverter system 3 air-con, looking at Panasonic, Mitsubishi Electric and Daikin.

I got read a couple of pages here regarding about the Armaflex insulation & copper pipe stuffs....

What is this actually? on the Armaflex and copper stuffs?

And what to look out for?

Gain City a better choice?

Regards.

sunht

Master Member
Reaction score
To people who are going to install aircon, this air purge will be done just before they on your aircon for the first time. They will purge the air while they are doing the final tightening of all your nut connection @ the outdoor unit.

I think that is what my installer had done.although i didn't see how he did, I heard the "chee chee" sound. the gas out sound.

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yup... but if wan system 3 and non-inverter using R410A i can only find

Mitsubishi Electric
MUX-3BD23VB / 3 X MS-B10VB

:s31::s31::s31:
hmm..ok.

but than if near to the end of R22, by tat time, all the manufacturer wil start production of new R410A non-inverter ba... cos now stil far away, so they wont make so many model. this is wat i tink la..

vsml

Reaction score
Would like to check with you guys here at what temperature settings do u set at night when u sleep?

I tried different fanspeed and temp settings for the past few nights from 24 to 27 degrees.............finally managed to find that 26 degrees is the ideal one.

The old people saying, do not let the aircon blow the cold air directly at u, cos it's not good for u, but instead adjust the lourves to blow the air in the other direction. Do you guys do that or dun care..........:s7:

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would like to check with you guys here at what temperature settings do u set at night when u sleep?

I tried different fanspeed and temp settings for the past few nights from 24 to 27 degrees.............finally managed to find that 26 degrees is the ideal one.

The old people saying, do not let the aircon blow the cold air directly at u, cos it's not good for u, but instead adjust the lourves to blow the air in the other direction. Do you guys do that or dun care..........:s7:
25 degrees, auto fan speed.

i let the lourver swing up & down...

terumo

Reaction score
R22 is still cheaper compared to R410a.
I would advise all bros/sis to install system using R22. R410 still not commonly used in hdb.

vsml

Reaction score
Armaflex is the black insulation material than wraps the copper pipe. The thicker the better.

Standard copper pipe that installer give is Gauge AWG 23 or 24, this is ok if yr aircon is using the old gas R22. But with the newer R410A gas, as it's operating at a higher pressure, installer recommend guage AWG22 thicker pipe. Some installer uses AWG23 which they say is good enough.

Hi guys!

Quite new to all this air-con stuffs, so wish to seek all experiece people here to guide me.

Recently, my old air-con spoiled already, so intend to change a whole new system.

Going for a Inverter system 3 air-con, looking at Panasonic, Mitsubishi Electric and Daikin.

I got read a couple of pages here regarding about the Armaflex insulation & copper pipe stuffs....

What is this actually? on the Armaflex and copper stuffs?

And what to look out for?

Gain City a better choice?

Regards.

LouisSaha

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Armaflex is the black insulation material than wraps the copper pipe. The thicker the better.

Standard copper pipe that installer give is Gauge AWG 23 or 24, this is ok if yr aircon is using the old gas R22. But with the newer R410A gas, as it's operating at a higher pressure, installer recommend guage AWG22 thicker pipe. Some installer uses AWG23 which they say is good enough.

ooh ok, thanks for the enlighten on the copper pipe and armaflex.

so for brand wise, which is better? in terms of saving consumption and quiet?

vsml

Reaction score
bro, DYOR la. Go browse thru' NEA website.

For myself, i choose MHI becos of the features i wanted, ME dun have.

In terms of energy saving. ME is the 1st, MHI is 2nd, Daikin and Panasonic is the same....3rd most energy saving.

It also depends on yr usage pattern......like every night u use aircon only for 1 room or 2 room or all 3 rooms all on.

ooh ok, thanks for the enlighten on the copper pipe and armaflex.

so for brand wise, which is better? in terms of saving consumption and quiet?

sunht

Master Member
Reaction score
bro, DYOR la. Go browse thru' NEA website.

For myself, i choose MHI becos of the features i wanted, ME dun have.

In terms of energy saving. ME is the 1st, MHI is 2nd, Daikin and Panasonic is the same....3rd most energy saving.

It also depends on yr usage pattern......like every night u use aircon only for 1 room or 2 room or all 3 rooms all on.

Still have to check particular model. Eg. brand A' s model A is more energy saving than Brand B's Model A, but Brand A's Model B may be less energy saving than Brand B's Model B. So just say certain brand is more energy saving is not so correct.

vsml

Reaction score
Yes agreed

Still have to check particular model. Eg. brand A' s model A is more energy saving than Brand B's Model A, but Brand A's Model B may be less energy saving than Brand B's Model B. So just say certain brand is more energy saving is not so correct.

terumo

Reaction score
R22/R410a, Gauge 23 piping is enough.
Gauge 22 is for commerical or industrial use. G22 pipe very thick, resulting in big trunking which u wouldn't want it flying around your hse.

If installation using G23 piping, no bent or cross piping. Chances of sweating occuring is very low, with Class 1 insulation.
If your piping is say G24 with bent portion, even using the thickest insulation with Class 0 grade will not help to solve the sweating/condensation problem.

So bros/sis here, if installing aircon, get G23 piping with Class 1 insulation will do, provided the installers uses benders to bend your piping @ corners and pipes are lay nicely inside the trunking.
Some might tink Class 0 insulation are better. IMO, wats the use of buying good speakers for your car when the head unit is not good enough to project such a good sound? Just stating an example.

Just my views.

Last edited:

mypj_88

Reaction score
Dear all,

Juz update status of purchase. I had purchased :

SCM80ZG-S / 3 x SKM28ZG-S / SKM35ZG-S, MHI,system 4 from GC, $4k with what what upgrade, what what 5yrs warranty with parts, labour & transport. Installation, mid Sept.

Thank you to helpful people in forum.

Hi Bro Mike, how's ur aircon? heehee.

mikezuper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

Juz update status of purchase. I had purchased :

SCM80ZG-S / 3 x SKM28ZG-S / SKM35ZG-S, MHI,system 4 from GC, $4k with what what upgrade, what what 5yrs warranty with parts, labour & transport. Installation, mid Sept.

Thank you to helpful people in forum.

Hi Bro Mike, how's ur aircon? heehee.
Congrats man!

Post pic before and after? :)

I simply loved mine, Daikin! Very cool and quiet. Too bad it lacks some of new good feature like fan after shutdown to prevent mould. I dont need inverter as we have less usage =)

Last edited:

seahmh

Reaction score
Hi, guys, I am new here.

I am installing my air-con, System 3 soon.

Is Pansonic Envio, NON-Inverter, good enough??

Any negative feedback about this air-con?

Also, which foam brand is better?

Armaflex or Accoflex? One air-con contractor quoted me with Armaflex while the other quoted me with Accoflex. Both quoted me 3/8" thick insulating foam.

I tried to google for both brands, but can't seemed to get any useful comparison between the two.

Can any experienced person be kind enough to advise me???

I had requested for a 1/2" thick foam compared to the normal 3/8" foam which both air-con guy quoted me. Still waiting for their quote on the 1/2" thick foam.

Thanks in advance for any advice(s).

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.