Things you need to know about car insurance

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe CNGpicnic would like to add this to the 1st post:

Driving to Malaysia: please note the excess amounts in the fine print or policy T&C. Big 3 insurers no issue here, it's a small handful of other insurers' fine print that may turn out to be...shocking.

DingJie

Reaction score
Hi

Like to get insurance quotes if possible.

I am 23 years old NSF. No accident before.

Birth Dated: 19/09/1987
License Dated: 19/04/2007
Vehicle No.: SJK869J
Vehicle Make: HYUNDAI
Vehicle Model: CM SANTA FE 2.7 A
Engine Capacity: 2656 cc
Original Registration Date: 03 Oct 2008

please contact me at angdingjie@hotmail.com / 90066528

Race29

Reaction score
Hi! Fake Picture, Any idea when will your friend car insurance be due? Feel free to pm me with your friend's carplate number for a quote if your friend have yet to buy the insurance. Or u can email to me :racey@ymail.com

Kevin10

Master Member
Reaction score
Agents here, please do advise, thanks.

Car - 1.6A or 2.0A
Make and model: not sure yet

Driver 1)
License: P-plate (Revoke den take back license again)
Work: Indoor
Own a car before, no accident. ( But did make a claim against other drivers before)

Driver 2)
License: very long liao but never own a car before
Work: Indoor

Wanna check which option to use will be better and cheaper ? Thanks.:D
And also will driver 1 insurance be shoot rocket high to the sky ?? LOLZ

windz82

Reaction score
Anyone can advise on the insurance

Car: Picanto
Age of car: 4.5 yrs
Transmission: Auto
Driver age: 27 yrs
Experience: 1 yrs
Job: Indoor
Insurance type: third party/ comprehensive

Car: Vios
Age of car: 0
Driver age: 27 yrs
Experience: 1 yrs
Job: indoor
Insurance type: comprehensive

Last edited:

bobobibi

Reaction score
Hi All,
Do buying 2nd hand cars, mean that insurance premium would be lower? What are the pros and cons of buying a 2nd hand car?

late4ever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
buying 2nd hand car doesnt mean ins gonna be lower..it will depends on many factor...but if its a 2nd hand OLD car...most prob u can only get cover under 3rd party or tpft

meijiaks009

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No opinions about your first set of queries.

You might have got a misconception about 3rd party insurance coverage.

Car insurance involves 3 parties:
The owner/driver of the insured car/person (1st party),
The insurer (2nd party),
The other party involved in the accident, which can be a person or a vehicle (3rd party).

If you're the owner/insured of the car insurance, and you nominate another person to drive the car, that person is called the "authorised driver" and not "3rd party".

For some insurance policies, anyone you give permission to drive is considered an "authorised driver" and they will be covered by the policies.
For some other insurance policies, you must let the insurers know the names of the authorised drivers and only they are allowed to drive the car with insurance coverage.

There are 3 types of car insurance coverages available:
- Comprehensive,
- 3rd party, fire & theft,
- 3rd party only.

Comprehensive says it all, covers a lot of things, including own damage, loss of car due to fire hazard, theft of vehicle, and 3rd party liabilities (damage to 3rd party property and/or injuries inflicted during accident, etc.).
Premium is the highest of the 3 types.

3rd party, fire & theft only covers liabilities to 3rd party, fire hazard, and theft of vehicle. It does not cover expenses incurred for own damage.
Premium is lower than comprehensive cover.

3rd party only covers 3rd party liabilities. Nothing else.
Premium is very low for such coverage.

For most insurance companies, they will insist on comprehensive coverage if the car is less than 7 years old, and under hire purchase agreement (loan).

how come the insurers will insist? shdn't the bank be the one who r more concern abt the condition of the vehicles since they r legally still the owners?

CNGpicnic

Reaction score
how come the insurers will insist? shdn't the bank be the one who r more concern abt the condition of the vehicles since they r legally still the owners?

When you renew your insurance, request also for TPFT and TP-only quotations.
See if the insurer will quote or not, if your car is under hire purchase and less than 10 years old.
If they don't quote, ask for the reasons.

X66

Reaction score

You are right. It is the finance company that will insist. This is because in the event of total loss due to accident, the finance company will be assured of the cost recovery from the insurance company. If the insurance cover is not a comprehensive coverage, the finance company will not get any recovery upon total loss of the car due to accident.

Hence if a car owner submits a 3rd party to the finance company, the finance company will give the owner 2 options. 1) Pay up the balance of the loan or 2) Convert the 3rd party insurance to a comprehensive one.

Insurance company or agents usually quote you comprehensive because most cars are under finance in Singapore. They can sell you a 3rd party car insurance for sure. However, when the finance company finds out and ask the car owner to convert to comprehensive, they will have double work to do. Worse if the client blames the insurance agent for not giving proper advise.

Hence, if you want to get a quotation for 3rd party insurance (TP) or 3rd party fire and theft insurance (TPFT), make sure you tell the agent that your car is paid up or your finance company allow you to get a 3rd party insurance (for cars more than 7 yrs old)

Hope it helps!

atmm280378

Reaction score
Anyone can help to advise on the insurance, I am afraid that the insurance will be high so still cannot decide whether to get a car or not

Car: Chevrolet Aveo5 1.4A (OPC)
Age of car: 0 yrs (new)
Driver age: 31 yrs
Experience: Got my license Sep 2009

Can I know roughly how much do I need to pay per year?

Thanks

X66

Reaction score
Anyone can help to advise on the insurance, I am afraid that the insurance will be high so still cannot decide whether to get a car or not

Car: Chevrolet Aveo5 1.4A (OPC)
Age of car: 0 yrs (new)
Driver age: 31 yrs
Experience: Got my license Sep 2009

Can I know roughly how much do I need to pay per year?

Thanks

I think should be around $2500 (authorised workshop) or $3600 (any workshop) since you just got your licenses. If I am not wrong, only NTUC is willing to insured driver who just got their driving license (less than 1 year).

However, since you are buying a brand new car, most likely u need to get the insurance from Chevrolet. You better pray they have a good dealer for you. Else you gena a $4k+ insurance and LL has to purchase from them.

Check you PM.

atmm280378

Reaction score
Hi X66,

Thanks, wow very xiong lei. Even for a OPC also insurance so high. I dont think I want to spend so much money on car.

Anyway thanks alot.

LiNuxIDIoT

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any idea hw can I get the lowest premium for my insurance. I b taking the loan but I'm jus 22 n license less then a yr. Dad/mum nt working. Can I take loan but insured under my dad?

bythesea

Reaction score
Any idea hw can I get the lowest premium for my insurance. I b taking the loan but I'm jus 22 n license less then a yr. Dad/mum nt working. Can I take loan but insured under my dad?

not sure about the loan part but for the insurance, put either your dad or ur mum's name (ie your dad or your mum must be the registered vehicle owner)

if you put yourself as the policyholder, given your profile (age + driving experience), most insurers will not consider taking you in. for those who will consider, you can be sure that the premium will be pretty hefty

LiNuxIDIoT

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not sure about the loan part but for the insurance, put either your dad or ur mum's name (ie your dad or your mum must be the registered vehicle owner)

if you put yourself as the policyholder, given your profile (age + driving experience), most insurers will not consider taking you in. for those who will consider, you can be sure that the premium will be pretty hefty

Ultimately I b the one taking thr loan. So the car gt to b under my name right, then the insurance also nid to b mine rite? Unless Ican put loan under my name n car under my dad, possible?

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think should be around $2500 (authorised workshop) or $3600 (any workshop) since you just got your licenses. If I am not wrong, only NTUC is willing to insured driver who just got their driving license (less than 1 year).

However, since you are buying a brand new car, most likely u need to get the insurance from Chevrolet. You better pray they have a good dealer for you. Else you gena a $4k+ insurance and LL has to purchase from them.

Check you PM.

If you good at kpkb or simply very eloquent and persuasive, the car dealer will offer plans apart from their usual tie-up insurer.

My property agent friend made noise about AIG plan's pricing at CnC. They gave him a plan frm another insurer.

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ultimately I b the one taking thr loan. So the car gt to b under my name right, then the insurance also nid to b mine rite? Unless Ican put loan under my name n car under my dad, possible?

Both the hirer & insurance has to been under the same name. In certain cases like DBS/MSIG, their systems are linked so the bank will know as well.

I've heard cases whereby the insurer does not check when a non-car owner applies instead of the car owner...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.