Which Linux for Noobs?

idiotz

Master Member
Reaction score
i was an active Ubuntu user.. very active one.. i thought Ubuntu was the best linux destro.. until I tried Linux Mint..

My choice, Linux Mint +1.. Everything out of the box.. No need to install additional codex to play mp4, dvd, real media.. etc.. No need to self install Flash or Java too.. Ubuntu users shld try out Mint too cos it's an addon to Ubuntu itself..

maxhurt

Reaction score
That's right. And Mint's default GNOME desktop (theme) is NOT ugly, unlike Ubuntu's.

The problem people fail to mention is autoplay of VCDs and DVDs. The default programs do not suffice. You need to install something like SMPlayer and set it to be the default for those. Only DVD will autoplay, VCD will only start the app and one needs to open it from the menu.

The main reason for VCD playback being so ****ty is because development shifted to DVD from VHS in the States - VCD almost not introduced. Another reason is that those people who've never used VCDs think they're simpler than DVDs, so Linux should be able to deal with them "by simpler means". Unfortunately, that's not even close and these people are usually the ones behind bulk of the multimedia tools.

boyanmetal_zc4

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a very new noob to Linux. Suddently got interested in Linux last week. Already downloaded Ubuntu, Kubuntu and also discovered Sabayon Linux. What are your take Sabayon Linux? I test the all of the 3 LiveCDs of different Linux and it looks like Sabayon is very nice with the main attraction apps compiz fusion already pre-installed.

I realise that installing apps in Linux aren't that breezy unless you know how to type the command lines. Is there any better way? Also can an app that can be installed in Ubuntu/Kubuntu be install in Sabayon or other version (Mint, Mandriva)?

Gecko

Reaction score
testing out is okay. but its not that suitable to use on the go because of power management issues(even after running powertop). go test the battery life using linux first. btw, try mint 7. its good.

anivisual

Reaction score
For people new to the Linux world, Ubuntu wins, hands down. A lot of stuff work out of the box (ahem.. LiveCD) in Ubuntu. In addition, the community forums offer a lot of assistance. However, if you want to do some serious stuff, e.g. deep customization, run a server, I recommend you try Debian, which also has a greater repository. I have very briefly tried Fedora, but the simple downloading-and-installing you get from Ubuntu and Debian won me back. By the way, Ubuntu is an offshoot from Debian.

wormster

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a very new noob to Linux. Suddently got interested in Linux last week. Already downloaded Ubuntu, Kubuntu and also discovered Sabayon Linux. What are your take Sabayon Linux? I test the all of the 3 LiveCDs of different Linux and it looks like Sabayon is very nice with the main attraction apps compiz fusion already pre-installed.

I realise that installing apps in Linux aren't that breezy unless you know how to type the command lines. Is there any better way? Also can an app that can be installed in Ubuntu/Kubuntu be install in Sabayon or other version (Mint, Mandriva)?

After awhile in Linux, you will realize apps installation is much easier in Linux than Windows. Other than using very simple command lines, you have the option of using GUI based Synaptic Package Manager in Ubuntu to install applications.

Other not so recommended ways include downloading applications with ".deb" extension for Ubuntu, this will work like Windows, just double click the file and install. For newbies, I would strongly advise against this.

wormster

Reaction score
My first Linux and still using is Ubuntu. It may not be the easiest distro and prettiest by default, but by far the easiest to find solutions to your problems as it is one of the most popular distro around. The community is exceptional friendly and fast as compare to other distros' forums.

If you want something out of the box, try PCLinuxOS and Linux Mint. They have everything configured for you and save you the trouble of installing, eg., adobe flash, sun java, and etc.

genuinely_fake

Reaction score
personally, fedora for me.

i have fedora running on my Ltop as a dual boot with windows, also on my home server. One of the drawbacks i find with linux is the lack of decent software for building websites, hence the dual boot and dreamweaver. but... for administering my server, file server etc... i wouldn't have anything else.

i also set up fedora on a memory stick, can boot from it and the stick runs a cut down version, great little toy.

fooifooi

Reaction score
Ubuntu

I consider myself a noob as well. I'd tried Ubuntu, Opensuse, and Mandriva.

I think Ubuntu is better in term of user-friendliness and hardware support.

2haven

Reaction score
Hello, I'm also interested in the Linux scene but still very new to it. Would like to install a Linux OS onto a Pentium 3 computer (1GHz, 256Mb RAM) just for casual usage. Anyone care to recommend a suitable one?

wiwi86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
frankly speaking, linux is not for noob. u got to have at least some knowledge or willingness to learn if you wish to use linux

PsyNidE

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
frankly speaking, linux is not for noob. u got to have at least some knowledge or willingness to learn if you wish to use linux
have u tried Ubuntu prior to the above statement? If No, then please give Ubuntu a try.

Rock-kun

Reaction score
Ubuntu gives Linux a bad name, period.

I've never seen a more whacked-up, buggy version of Linux ever since Ubuntu Karmic koala.

user-friendliness is destroying the stability of Linux, and all you call can do is praise it on how simple it has gotten while forgetting about all the problems it has brought.

typical 'end-user' mentality.

PsyNidE

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Ubuntu gives Linux a bad name, period.

I've never seen a more whacked-up, buggy version of Linux ever since Ubuntu Karmic koala.

user-friendliness is destroying the stability of Linux, and all you call can do is praise it on how simple it has gotten while forgetting about all the problems it has brought.

typical 'end-user' mentality.
why do u say its buggy? which version are you talking about?

polike

Reaction score
Huh? Ubuntu is one of the easiest versions of linux to use. Never hung on me before either. Quite reliable.

radish

Emeritus Honorary Member
Reaction score
there are 2 parts to which linux distro is for noobs
one is user friendliness in terms of package and interface
the other is stability which is a problem with ubuntu

ubuntu is the most user friendly linux distro to date
its so intuitive its not in anyway inferior to windows

HOWEVER.... its true this koala bear version is buggy
i had a lot of prob with my wifi and gfx with it

actually there are many diff distros u can consider
opensuse, fedora... many many and regardless of which one of them u are using
interface wise, gnome or kde really help a lot to make linux userfriendly

wodahsking

Reaction score
Agreed Ubuntu by itself is not good. Linux Mint however takes Ubuntu, installs all the imortant drivers, programs and setting and makes it much easier to use.

New users should use Linux Mint. I learned through painful experience.

wiwi86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
have u tried Ubuntu prior to the above statement? If No, then please give Ubuntu a try.

yup, i've been using ubuntu. i didnt say it's difficult for me but im pretty sure it's nt as easy to pick up as compared to windows.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.