Advice on Penang

pohu

Master Member
Reaction score
Malaysia Airline and Singapore Airline have daily flight from Singapore to Penang, but its very expensive, works out to be about $400 per pax inclusive of taxes.

Cheaper alternative is to fly KL and transist using air asia or depart from JB senai airport

i believe silkair/SIA got direct flight from sg to penang

hey guys...
thanks.
and i guess the cheapest flight is via airasia transitting in kl>>
anyone has other cheaper flight alternatives??
it will roughly cost me 230.

Hi,

I'm not sure if there were some changes but AirAsia now seems to fly directly from Singapore to Penang.

Would like to go there next month, just wonder if want to go Gurney Street for makan from Jalan Burma, it's by taxi or public transport?

Thinking of booking the trip package to Kek Lok Si offered by one agent but scare like "cow herding" like that...if not normally to go there by own is it expensive??

Last edited:

k1180n

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

i am also going to Penang come December. Still fretting over the hotel rooms.

Going via Airasia, tickets were kinda cheap. $159/pax (inclusive of seat selection, the more spacious seats)

Any hotels to recommend?

I was reading through tripadvisor and thought Sunway was kinda good. Bayview has quite a number of bad comments though.

lsling

Reaction score
k1180n : try Paradise Sandy Beach Resort, nearby the beach yet affordable and clean. i stayed there during my trip, but its around 4 years ago.

pohu

Master Member
Reaction score
how to go to Kek Lo Si from Georgetown?

i decided go by my own after some exchange of emails with THE AGENT had me realized they might screw up as they dont seem get a clue of my query (long story)

suangern

Reaction score
how to go to Kek Lo Si from Georgetown?

i decided go by my own after some exchange of emails with THE AGENT had me realized they might screw up as they dont seem get a clue of my query (long story)
Take rapid penang's 201, 203, 204 and 502. Alight at Air Itam town and walk to Kek Lok Si's entrance, 201, 203 and 502 will not passby the entrance, so you gotta ask the bus driver if you not sure. Only 204 will passby the entrance, but the frequency is :s22:. Air Itam town are one way roads.

These buses don't terminate at Air Itam, they will carry on until Paya Terubong, Balik Pulau and Penang Hill respectively.

suangern

Reaction score
entrance of kek lok si temple
PGPG206.jpg

203 bus
PGPG199.jpg

pohu

Master Member
Reaction score
Take rapid penang's 201, 203, 204 and 502. Alight at Air Itam town and walk to Kek Lok Si's entrance, 201, 203 and 502 will not passby the entrance, so you gotta ask the bus driver if you not sure. Only 204 will passby the entrance, but the frequency is :s22:. Air Itam town are one way roads.

These buses don't terminate at Air Itam, they will carry on until Paya Terubong, Balik Pulau and Penang Hill respectively.
Thanks.. just wonder the local called that place "Kek Lo Si"?? I mean if I met a non-Chinese bus driver, how would I tell him/her it's "Kek Lo Si" I'm going thanks

pohu

Master Member
Reaction score

kek lok si is a very famous tourist destination, they'll know one.
Thanks... the KOMTAR bus terminal got this bus you mentioned? thanks

suangern

Reaction score
yes, komtar bus terminal got these buses. but when returning from air itam/kek lok si to komtar, the buses will not enter komtar bus terminal, they will passby penang road only (beside komtar), then head to jetty (ferry terminal to butterworth).

have fun!

pohu

Master Member
Reaction score
yes, komtar bus terminal got these buses. but when returning from air itam/kek lok si to komtar, the buses will not enter komtar bus terminal, they will passby penang road only (beside komtar), then head to jetty (ferry terminal to butterworth).

have fun!
Thanks alot for your info :)

buzzmario

Reaction score
Hi all,

i am also going to Penang come December. Still fretting over the hotel rooms.

Going via Airasia, tickets were kinda cheap. $159/pax (inclusive of seat selection, the more spacious seats)

Any hotels to recommend?

I was reading through tripadvisor and thought Sunway was kinda good. Bayview has quite a number of bad comments though.

hi like to check with you guys, if go by air, after reaching the panang airport, easy and cheap to get to hotal area?

thanks

suangern

Reaction score
bus will take about 9 hours (with 2 breaks), so car will take 7 hours including breaks?

suangern

Reaction score
hi like to check with you guys, if go by air, after reaching the panang airport, easy and cheap to get to hotal area?

thanks
if your hotel is located at town area, it would be about 20 minutes by taxi. or about 1 hour by rapid penang bus.

if your hotel is located at batu ferrenghi, it would take more coz its further up north after town.

orbea88

Reaction score

thanks

when i was there in august, i took 401 from airport to georgetown, stopped at komtar. bus ticket price was RM2.70 (the max amount for any bus ride)

suangern

Reaction score
when i was there in august, i took 401 from airport to georgetown, stopped at komtar. bus ticket price was RM2.70 (the max amount for any bus ride)
used to be RM2, but after fare hike its RM2.70.
nope, the max amt now is RM4, from previously RM3.00.
The direction is it same as go towards Genting but without turning to Karak highway ?
after seremban, you may like to turn at "nilai utara"interchange (signs to point to KLIA/Shah Alam/Ipoh) into elite highway and drive all the way until the end and turn to NKVE (towards sungai buloh direction), then followed by NS highway. thus, you will not have to exit any tolls from johor all the way until penang (there's a bypass for ipoh's toll plaza, where previously all vehicles must go thru the toll plaza).

have fun!:s12:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.