NSman IPPT, IPT and RT FAQs

Loong1234

Reaction score
IPPT, IPT and RT is a very common thing among everyone. Therefore based on my knowledge, I’ve decide to start this trend so as to help you answer your commonly asked question.

To start off, I’ve come out with some of the commonly asked question. If you have any other question other than the one posted below. Please feel free to ask, I’ll be glad to answer them all.

===============================================================
Non-ICT IPPT

Q1. By when should I take my IPPT?
A1. All NSman are required to attempt at least 1 IPPT before their window closes.

Q2. How do I know when my window open/close?
A2. Unlike regular serviceman, all NSman’s IPPT window opens on their B’day and closes on eve of their B’day.
FYI - Regular serviceman’s IPPT window opens on 1st April and closes on 31st Dec.

Q3. How many times can I attempt for IPPT?
A3. NSman can attempt their IPPT for as many times as they want. However you will only be paid for service pay for the 1st three time.
FYI - Once you have attain GOLD award, you will no longer allowed to book for IPPT until your next window opens. (This is to prevent shortage of slot for people who can’t book their test.)

Q4. During the previous test, I’ve passed all the static station and only failed the 2.4km run. Can I just retake my 2.4km run only.
A4. No. Failing the 2.4km run will be deemed as failing the whole test. Therefore you will have to retake the whole test. However, if you passed your 2.4km run and provided that you meet your minimum points and only failed one of the static station. You will be eligible to take partial retest with the next 90 days.
FYI - NSman who passed at their partial retest are not eligible for incentives (cash).

Q5. I’ve already taken my IPPT during my ICT, should still book for an NON-ICT IPPT in order to “clock” my attempt?
A5. No, you don’t have to. However if you are doing your RT at the same time as your ICT and you happen to fail the test, you will have to book for the IPPT after you completed your RT.
FYI - If you are still doing your RT during your ICT and you happen to pass the test, you will be discharge from RT and the IPPT you taken in ICT will be taken into account as an attempt.

Q6. Will I be covered for injury?
A6. Yes, you will be covered for injury but only from the moment you in-pro all the way till you out-pro.
FYI - You are to report your injury straight away and not wait till the next day, or else there is no way the PTI there can trace back.

Q7. I’ve been awarded with incentive ($100) during my last IPPT. Do I still eligible for Silver ($200) and Gold ($400)?
A7. Yes, you are eligible. Even though they have paid you the $100, when you attain a higher award. NSSC will pay you the remaining balance. For example, you got an incentive during the 1st try and got a gold for the 2nd try. They will top up the remaining $300 into your account.

Q8. I’ve been excused for 1 static station, am I still eligible for monetary awards?
A8. No, NSman is only eligible for monetary awards when they took the full IPPT which is the 4 static and 2.4km run.

Q9. My window is closing soon (less than 2 wks) and I wasn’t able to book a slot for IPPT. What should I do?
A9. NSman can first either call up the respective FCC and ask them to be manually inserted in for the test or they can straight walk in to the FCC and request personally. However I do not recommend the 2nd choice as it is too last minute for both you and the FCC.
FYI - If you are being charged for not attempting any IPPT by the NSSC and the reason you give them is because your window was closing and wasn’t able to get a slot…. They will answer you with this: “1 year got 365 days, who ask you to wait until last minute!”

Q10. I’ve been excused 1 static station for very long, but when ever I report for IPPT. The counter staff keep telling me that my excuse status is not reflected in the system. What should I do?
A10. Actually this is a very common question happened to many NSman that I know. And is very tiring to explain. But for the sake of avoiding the new birds getting into problem…. Here goes:
Firstly, don’t vend your anger out on the counter staff. We know you had a hard time but it isn’t the FCC fault that your status was not reflected in. the main reason why your excused was not reflected in, was mainly due to your medical centre as they are the one doing all the keying of your status. So what you need to do is to clarify with your medical centre.
In this kind of situation, the FCC would most probably ask you to come back after you have settle everything with your medical centre.
But what if your window is closing and you haven’t taken any IPPT yet?
They would most probably allow you to take the test and ask you to skip your excused station. You might be thinking: “my excused status not inside, take already also fail… what’s the point”. At this point, the FCC would get into the technical stuff liao.
We take service vocation for an example. For service vocation, you would need D+10 to pass the IPPT. If you have 1 excused station it would be D+8.
So if at the end of the test, all your station got minimum 2 points and total up to 8 point, you pass. Then at this point of time you will really have to hammer your medical centre liao.
Call your medical centre up, tell them you should have passed your IPPT. But, because of the excused not being keyed in, your IPPT status is reflected as fail. Ask them to do the necessary follow up.

And so this conclude the IPPT FAQ.

RT

Q11. By when should I book for my RT?
A11. All NSman are required to book their RT within the first 2 month of their new window.
FYI - All NSman are required to START their RT within the first 5 month of their new window or else NSSC will deem you as defaulter.

Q12. How many session of RT are there all together?
A12. There are a total of 20 session of RT all together. Phase one 8 session, Phase two 12 session.
FYI - Phase one is 2 times per week and Phase two is 3 times per week

Q13. What is a MUT? What is it for?
A13. MUT stands for Make Up Training. When NSman is not able to attend his original RT session, he is to Make Up the Training to another day.

Q14. How many MUT can an I do?
A14. Phase one, 2 MUT. Phase two, 3 MUT.
FYI - Even if you didn’t use any of the MUT in Phase one, you still only can do 3 MUT in Phase two.

Q15. How many session of RT can I miss??
A15. NONE! You cannot miss any of the RT session, all RT missed have to do MUT or else NSSCC can charge you for AWOL.

Q16. What does it means to be defaulted from RT?
A16. It means that you have missed too many session of RT without doing any MUT and you will have to start your RT all over again.
FYI - Defaulting RT is a chargeable offence. Btw you will get defaulted if you miss 3 or more in Phase one / 4 or more in Phase 2.

Q17. I’m half way through my RT, but I have an urgent oversea assignment. What should I do?
A17. You would have to apply for deferment though your respective FCC.
FYI - If you were to defer your RT, you will have to redo your respective Phase all over again. Therefore I would strongly encourage you to plan ahead of your time. Or else you would be wasting the session that you have done.

Q18. I’ve already book my RT and has yet to start, but due to a last minute assignment. I need to change my RT schedule. What should I do?
A18. You can log on to NS.SG to do the necessary amendment. But, if you are unable to do so. Then you will have to call up NSSCC or your unit and ask them to “defer” you.
FYI - FCC can only defer you after you have officially commence your RT.

Q19. I’ve been given 2 weeks MC by my doctor, does this means I don’t have to attend/MUT the RT?
A19. No, if the MC given by your doctor is going to cause you to miss more than 3 session. FCC will require you to arrange deferment.
FYI - Even if your MC is only 2 days, you still need to do MUT. The only kind of situation whereby you don’t have to do MUT is that you were being activated last minute (e.g MOB or SAF related activity)

Q20. I’ve applied for a deferment through the FCC. But was rejected, they told me that the reason is because if I were to defer, I will not be able to complete my RT within my window. What should I do?
A20. This is actually also a very technical question whereby a lot of NSman had encounter before… For you to understand what’s happening, I’ll have to explain the whole thing all the way from the top.
If you have read the above FAQs from the IPPT section, you will know that any failed attempt of IPPT when you still have RT going on does not count as an annual IPPT attempt. So in other words, if your deferment is to cross over your window. It would mean that you have not taken any IPPT for your current window. For this you will be deem as an IPPT defaulter and eligible to be charged by NSSCC
So in order to avoid any misunderstanding between the FCC and the NSman. They would normally advise the NSman the following:
You were to call up your unit and look for the NSHRC personnel. Tell them that you have already approach FCC for deferment, but due to the reason mentioned above. You were told to seek permission to defer from your unit. By doing so, at least your unit knows that you are going to be an IPPT defaulter. Therefore they can take the necessary precaution. And once they have approved the permission for deferment, your unit needs to send an email to the FCC, so that they can process your deferment.
FYI - When you call up your unit, you must mention that you have already gone to the FCC and it was them that told you to look for your unit. Or else they will just keep pushing back and forth from the FCC and the unit.

And so this conclude the RT FAQ.

IPT

Q21. What exactly is IPT?
A21. It means IPPT Preparatory Training. It is a voluntarily program whereby NSman attend the Physical Training similar to RT training.

Q22. Do I still need to attend any RT even though I’ve failed my IPPT after participating in the IPT?
A22. To appreciate the effort the NSman has put in, your RT for the next window will be waved off even if you failed ------ meaning NO RT!

Q23. How would I know if I’m eligible to take up IPT.
A23. Following are the criteria:
1. You are eligible to take IPPT.
2. You are not to have any ongoing/outstanding RT.
3. You are to complete the IPT within the first 9 month of your window.
Meeting all the above 3 criteria will allow you to book for IPT.

Q24. Would I receive any service pay if I were to take up IPT?
A24. No, as IPT is a voluntarily program you are not entitled for service pay. However NSman are still covered for any injury sustain from the training.

Q25. I’m currently doing IPT, but there was a last minute oversea assignment. Can I ask for a deferment?
A25. No, there is no deferment for IPT. If you were unable to attend the training, you will have to make up for the session. And if you were to exceed the MUT allowed, you were to seek the OC/2IC of the FCC so that they can discharge you from the current IPT and therefore allowing you to book for the next available IPT schedule.

Q26. How many session are there in IPT.
A26. IPT is a 5 week program which consists of 10 session. But in order to be exempted from RT in your next window. NSman would only need to attend a total of 8 session. Which consists of 7 training and 1 IPPT.

Q27. How many MUT am I entitled to?
Q27. All NSman are entitled to 2 MUT. If you were to need any more than that, you would have to seek permission from the OC/2IC of the FCC.

Q28. Does the IPPT that I took in IPT count towards as an annual IPPT attempt?
Q28. Yes, regardless of whether you passed or failed. The IPPT you took in IPT still counted as an attempt.

Q29. Am I eligible for any monetary awards if I passed the IPPT in IPT?
A29. Yes, all NSman are eligible for IPPT monetary awards if they achieved the corresponding standards.

Q30. My window is closing in 2 months time and by the looks of it, I would still be able to complete the IPT in time. Am I still eligible to be exempted from RT for my next window?
A30. Yes, so long as you can complete the IPT before your window close and had at least attempt the IPPT. You will be exempted from the RT during your next window.

This conclude the IPT FAQ

Hope these would answer most of your question.:D

excalibur324

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Q30. My window is closing in 2 months time and by the looks of it, I would still be able to complete the IPT in time. Am I still eligible to be exempted from RT for my next window?
A30. Yes, so long as you can complete the IPT before your window close and had at least attempt the IPPT. You will be exempted from the RT during your next window.

i tot must complete IPT within first 9 months of window.. so Q30 cannot be true rite?

vasilli07

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i tot must complete IPT within first 9 months of window.. so Q30 cannot be true rite?

No...that's not true. The thing is you can only book your IPT within the 1st 9 months but can complete after 9 months.

The_Davis

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
ns.jpg

what if i get this?

threadstarter

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hah?? IPT can only book before windows close? :(
I tot is book after fail IPPT & windows close... now must go do RT.. :(

herosmissing

Reaction score
Is it possible to find out the station im excused from before booking ippt? (pes c1)
if so how can i do it? thx.

Loong1234

Reaction score
what if i get this?

there is a few reason behind that....

1st, u might completed ur ICT liao... MR(Military Reserve) loh... no more NS liability.

2nd, u went to your unit MO for medical review and they decided to down grade u to PES C2 and below.... congrate no more IPPT for u.

3rd, u just kanna "Charged" by ur unit... then somewhere in the system. it cock up... and got excused for IPPT this window.

last one is very unlikely will happen... it that, u really key in the wrong info.......

Loong1234

Reaction score

lol... that is actually a so called "BUG" in the system ever since IPT was launch....

the official criteria for the first 9 month part was that u have to COMPLETE the IPT within the first 9 month of your window... which means you can only book your IPT for the first 7 month of your window.....

but somehow... the "BUG" enable you to book your IPT within the first 9 month and letting you to complete your IPT even after the 9month criteria but before your window closes.

so therefore this is where the answer 30 comes in....

freedom-strike

Reaction score
Hello. I took my first ippt on the 3rd October, but I managed to clear all stations and failed only my standing broad jump. Then I rebooked and went for a retest on 31st October. When I went there, at the counter they asked me whether I want to retake all stations or only the station I failed. I told them I only want to retake the station that I failed. So, I took only the standing broad jump, and the pti was kind enough to let me retry the stations a few times, but I still failed.

It stated on the www.ns.sg site:

You have NOT PASSED your IPPT for 06/08/2008 to 09/12/2009.
Advisory:
(a) Please PASS your IPPT by 09/12/2009,
otherwise you may be subjected to Remedial Training.
(b) Please update your contact nos/email on e-SelfUpdate so that you can be
informed via SMS if there is any change to your current IPPT requirement.

meaning, my window closes in december. Does this mean I can still rebook and retake my test a few more times? What if I still don't manage to clear my ippt by the time my window closes? Does it mean RT?

Loong1234

Reaction score
Hello. I took my first ippt on the 3rd October, but I managed to clear all stations and failed only my standing broad jump. Then I rebooked and went for a retest on 31st October. When I went there, at the counter they asked me whether I want to retake all stations or only the station I failed. I told them I only want to retake the station that I failed. So, I took only the standing broad jump, and the pti was kind enough to let me retry the stations a few times, but I still failed.

You have NOT PASSED your IPPT for 06/08/2008 to 09/12/2009.
Advisory:
(a) Please PASS your IPPT by 09/12/2009,
otherwise you may be subjected to Remedial Training.
(b) Please update your contact nos/email on e-SelfUpdate so that you can be
informed via SMS if there is any change to your current IPPT requirement.

meaning, my window closes in december. Does this mean I can still rebook and retake my test a few more times? What if I still don't manage to clear my ippt by the time my window closes? Does it mean RT?

as long as your window is still open, u can retake as many time as u want.... but please note that the partial retest (in your case would be SBJ) is only effective for 90days from 3rd Oct.
if u need help in your SBJ, u might want to go there earlier and ask for some advice from the PTI. they would be more than willing to give u any last min tips...

if by the end of your window, u still haven pass the IPPT. you will have to do RT in your next window....

freedom-strike

Reaction score
If, by the end of my window I still haven't passed my ippt, I'll have to do RT in my next window, meaning next year? Correct me if I'm wrong.

freedom-strike

Reaction score
I checked with my chief clerk, he asked me when is my birthday. I said 10th december. Then he said my RT starts from 10/12/2009 to 09/12/2010. Then I asked him, is it that I can take my RT anytime during the period of 10/12/2009 to 09/12/2010? He said Yes and No. No if I book too late and no slots. Then I'll be charged.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.