Any tailors in Bangkok to recommend?

grantt

Reaction score
You're not wrong to say that. The shopfronts are usually well, shopfronts. A place for the customer service aspect to select fabric and take measurements. The actual tailoring is done by another offsite "factory"/"sweat shop". Heard some say that there're just a few mass production sewing facilities that nearly every tailor shop uses. Some others have their own little "factory".

The difference is perhaps that each tailor shop will have a set of tailors dedicated to them. While I believe that many of the "tailors" in the shopfronts are mere measurers and possibly can't thread a needle, some of the older generation of the established shops are likely to have started from ground up as a tailor and later ventured out.

It may also be that they now have become bosses they no longer do the more tedious sewing but have taken apprentice according to their craft for this. Some I heard continue to do the outlining and cutting. Once the shapes and markings are in place, it's likely that more experienced "sewers" would be able to bring out the product just by connecting the dots.

It's just like any aspiring fashion designer are expected to be able to do some sewing and such during their early days especially when under training. When they progress and move up, they just stop doing that. Do you think Valentino do the entire process himself after the achieved fame? He'd just do the design and make sure that the tailors in his employ deliver to his standard.

True that. At the end of the day..even the big brand names don't sew their own tailoring themselves..and I agree with condor..some of the older generations probably have little factories doing their clothes now with their own standards..so trust them to do their thing! Stick to the recommended stores and you should be fine! Don't just walk into any tout store or you'll just be doing another "random" pick thing and you never know how your clothes may turn out!!

Civician

Reaction score
I am going to BKK this Friday with plan to tailor shirts at Pinky and Crown. 1x Italian cotton, 3x Egyptian cotton, 3 x 100% cotton Please advise how cani spread out this between the 2 shops? Does this mean Italian cotton is better then the onefrom Egypt

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
I am going to BKK this Friday with plan to tailor shirts at Pinky and Crown. 1x Italian cotton, 3x Egyptian cotton, 3 x 100% cotton Please advise how cani spread out this between the 2 shops? Does this mean Italian cotton is better then the onefrom Egypt

Egyptian refers to the type of cotton, with the named as being regarded as the best due to several properties such as having the longest fibers translating to less inter-connection points in the end product resulting in a smoother finish due to the higher percentage of natural cotton softness over the joints. Egyptian cotton is also 15% stronger than other normal cotton and this also means lighter fabric for the same strength.

Italian refers to the finishing i.e. weaving techniques to create the threads and fabric. Italian mills are widely known and accepted for delivering high quality output.

Since the 2 are disconnected, it can only be assumed that the advertised Italian cotton are using Egyptian cotton and not local Thai cotton.

Another thing to note is Egypt do not impose any type of restriction on the usage of the Egyptian branding. A fabric can be sold as Egyptian cotton even if only 10% Egyptian cotton is used, mixed with 90% of lower quality cotton.

I guess even if you ask the shops, either they are none the wiser or like what most salesmen do, tell you it's 100% Egyptian cotton when they do not really know themselves. So I guess unless you're a cotton tradesman or expert, you wouldn't know anyway.

The best measure is perhaps by using your own hand to feel. If you can't feel the difference, then perhaps it makes little difference to get the cheaper one since other than the psychological aspect, you are not able to enjoy the higher quality.

Also, 100% cotton is said not to hold shape well. Blended (mixed with some percentage of polyester) on the other hand, holds the shape better i.e. no folding marks in comparison. While 100% is more comfortable, you may like to take the fashion side effects into consideration as well.

Finally, I suggest going to both to have a look before making a decision. Rather than getting fixed on how to spread, base your decision based on the available fabric that you like. Both should carry similar quality fabrics at similar price ranges. But their fabric selection would differ. Personally I think there's no point "forcing" yourself to make the quantity if nothing catches your eye.

Civician

Reaction score
Thanks for much for your effort to put it is layman term. I plan to tailor 7 shirts but you said ihave to really feel and see what ilike before ican tell how many i can make :) I wil try this 2 shops to see what I really like.

Egyptian refers to the type of cotton, with the named as being regarded as the best due to several properties such as having the longest fibers translating to less inter-connection points in the end product resulting in a smoother finish due to the higher percentage of natural cotton softness over the joints. Egyptian cotton is also 15% stronger than other normal cotton and this also means lighter fabric for the same strength.

Italian refers to the finishing i.e. weaving techniques to create the threads and fabric. Italian mills are widely known and accepted for delivering high quality output.

Since the 2 are disconnected, it can only be assumed that the advertised Italian cotton are using Egyptian cotton and not local Thai cotton.

Another thing to note is Egypt do not impose any type of restriction on the usage of the Egyptian branding. A fabric can be sold as Egyptian cotton even if only 10% Egyptian cotton is used, mixed with 90% of lower quality cotton.

I guess even if you ask the shops, either they are none the wiser or like what most salesmen do, tell you it's 100% Egyptian cotton when they do not really know themselves. So I guess unless you're a cotton tradesman or expert, you wouldn't know anyway.

The best measure is perhaps by using your own hand to feel. If you can't feel the difference, then perhaps it makes little difference to get the cheaper one since other than the psychological aspect, you are not able to enjoy the higher quality.

Also, 100% cotton is said not to hold shape well. Blended (mixed with some percentage of polyester) on the other hand, holds the shape better i.e. no folding marks in comparison. While 100% is more comfortable, you may like to take the fashion side effects into consideration as well.

Finally, I suggest going to both to have a look before making a decision. Rather than getting fixed on how to spread, base your decision based on the available fabric that you like. Both should carry similar quality fabrics at similar price ranges. But their fabric selection would differ. Personally I think there's no point "forcing" yourself to make the quantity if nothing catches your eye.

care5bear

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm..guys, i am just thinkin of trying out tailor make shirt and also to make a special one for a special occassion coming up in dec. but budget limited.

that 1 special shirt i dun mind paying abit more but however, the working shirts that i wanna tailor make, i was hoping to keep it to abt 35SGD per pc. M i dreaming? or is it possible?

I heard abt Crown. wanting to try, but the budget posted here, seems like out of my range...

any good suggestions? Professional looking yet good material at a cheap rate?? :D am i asking too much? :p

mulderang

Master Member
Reaction score
hmm..guys, i am just thinkin of trying out tailor make shirt and also to make a special one for a special occassion coming up in dec. but budget limited.

that 1 special shirt i dun mind paying abit more but however, the working shirts that i wanna tailor make, i was hoping to keep it to abt 35SGD per pc. M i dreaming? or is it possible?

I heard abt Crown. wanting to try, but the budget posted here, seems like out of my range...

any good suggestions? Professional looking yet good material at a cheap rate?? :D am i asking too much? :p

actually can try going to this neighborhood area for the talior. must be out of the tourist area. or if u r of average size. can get those taper shirt from shop will fit well also.

grantt

Reaction score

hahahahha..i'm sure Crown can work it out for you! it's just that you probably won't get the best of the best stuff..which I don't always take anyways also! Sometimes its just better to see what you like and what feels nice to you yourself :look:

Reaction score

what i recommended is well within your budget. 5000baht for 6 shirts.

Civician

Reaction score
Just came back from bkk yesterday only went to pinky as fitting alone is time consuming did 6 shirts which consist of 1 Italian cotton, 2 Egyptian cotton and 3 normal cotton damages 10k baht fits me very well and I am happy with e end products only time will tell if the shirts quality after few wash I was serve by the young guy and he is very attentive to my request

pleaselah

Reaction score
Just came back from bkk yesterday only went to pinky as fitting alone is time consuming did 6 shirts which consist of 1 Italian cotton, 2 Egyptian cotton and 3 normal cotton damages 10k baht fits me very well and I am happy with e end products only time will tell if the shirts quality after few wash I was serve by the young guy and he is very attentive to my request

what was the individual price for the italian, egypt and normal

ZenithCastle

Reaction score
Coming back to what condor mentioned in regards to recommended tailors:
1. Narin Couture (very positive reviews; came in tops from my research) - sounds excellent, but maybe a little over priced for most of our budgets? Although if you got a fat pocket, you might want to give a shirt a try.
2. Crown's (mostly good reviews; perhaps no/little bad comments as well) - my personal happiest tailoring comes at this place. Won't go anywhere else.
3. Moon River (relatively good reviews) - Was about to give them a try until I looked up tripadvisor and found relatively weird comments about them!
4. Empire (not many reviews but for the few reviews, it's quite decent and my service experience with them put them in my list) - been past the shop a few times..quite cool!..if i wasnt already happy..i'd be willing to test it out.
5. Pinky (mostly good reviews but with a small handful of negative comments as well; my personal experience is good on the service side, product side need time to tell) - again, never tried..but heard mixed comments..some super excellent..others not so good!
6. Nickerman (a number of good reviews as well) - this one i never hear about!

Hope that helps others too!

Where is Crown and Empire located then?

superanova

Reaction score
hahahahha..i'm sure Crown can work it out for you! it's just that you probably won't get the best of the best stuff..which I don't always take anyways also! Sometimes its just better to see what you like and what feels nice to you yourself :look:

i'm going bangkok next week and intend to visit crown. how's the price like for the different quality of shirts? i'm looking for a guide so i do not overpay. :)

grantt

Reaction score
Crown is located inside of Sukhumvit soi 8, like a 10 second walk inside the soi!

I am sure you can get cheap shirts from them too, and they also sell some very expensive shirts. I am very confident you wont' be overpaying for good shirts from them. I have tried to go cheaper at some shops and believe me, those shirts are now in the trash!!

jlala7

Reaction score
I am planning to make some shirts in my next visit to BKK next week. Which of these tailors do women shirts well?

Also, if I bring one of my shirts with me, do you think they can do a replica well?

Iwantmario

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, I am going next month. Can i have both Pinky and Crown address please? Thanks alot alot!!

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
I am planning to make some shirts in my next visit to BKK next week. Which of these tailors do women shirts well?

Also, if I bring one of my shirts with me, do you think they can do a replica well?

I know Pinky does ladies shirts quite decent. I saw 2 SG ladies there when I was there. They were quite happy and they were there for additional orders.

Mng85

Reaction score
Any of you actually made suits there?

I see that most of you guys make shirts instead...
Cos i am comparing between Thai n JB... haha JB cos abt 500RM.. not sure abit Thai

grantt

Reaction score
Hi, I am going next month. Can i have both Pinky and Crown address please? Thanks alot alot!!

Crown is in sukhumvit soi 8. Like a 10 second walk inside the soi.

And I've done 2 suits at Crown before. I don't wear alot of suits so these suits have lasted me for a very long time!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.