Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gascooler

Reaction score
Hi people,

the compressor for 2 of my units has spoiled already. looking to replace the full unit.

any recommendations for system2/system3 inverter-type air-conditioner?

Criteria is pretty simple :

1. Low power consumption
2. Durable
3. Doesn't have to be a high-powered unit, since i'm thinking of installing it just above the bed only.
4. Doesn't have to look good, but would be a plus!

the Gain City guy recommended Hitachi unit to me, $3388 for system3 inverter, includes bracketing,installation, 5yr extended warranty - worth it?

Starmex is out of stock though - $200 more ex than Hitachi and less power saving, judging from the part/full load.

Last edited:

buzzmario

Reaction score
hi, is it normal that alum foil is use to wrap around the class 'o' insulation rubber for the connection from the out door unit to the indoor?
was told of this from one of the sale man, another shop say they use form instead. or what is the correct way?

thks

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, is it normal that alum foil is use to wrap around the class 'o' insulation rubber for the connection from the out door unit to the indoor?
was told of this from one of the sale man, another shop say they use form instead. or what is the correct way?

thks
u mean the foil is originally wrap around the insulation? or they wrap the foil on the spot themselves?

if the foil u c is originally wrap around the insulation, than tat is better. becos it helps to protect the insulation against uv-ray, rain or shine. normally it is used on the outside. connecting from condenser unit to inside your hse...

if say use normal insulation, than mayb in a year or few years later, the insulation will start to come off. at tat time your neighour below u wil start to nag at u... n your aircon will not be tat cold liao.

buzzmario

Reaction score
u mean the foil is originally wrap around the insulation? or they wrap the foil on the spot themselves?

if the foil u c is originally wrap around the insulation, than tat is better. becos it helps to protect the insulation against uv-ray, rain or shine. normally it is used on the outside. connecting from condenser unit to inside your hse...

if say use normal insulation, than mayb in a year or few years later, the insulation will start to come off. at tat time your neighour below u wil start to nag at u... n your aircon will not be tat cold liao.

the alum foil is wrap around the insulation which is class O. so this kind of installation way is good? any different using class 0 and class 1?

i see my flat other units, it seem all just having black rubber insulation, so this is the normal way?

you know anything about using form instead?

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the alum foil is wrap around the insulation which is class O. so this kind of installation way is good? any different using class 0 and class 1?

i see my flat other units, it seem all just having black rubber insulation, so this is the normal way?

you know anything about using form instead?
Class 0 n 1, the different is jus the fire rating. means class 0 wont be so easy burn up by fire.

any insulation is the same IMO. important is the thickness of the insulation used for the piping size n R22 or R410A.

buzzmario

Reaction score
Class 0 n 1, the different is jus the fire rating. means class 0 wont be so easy burn up by fire.

any insulation is the same IMO. important is the thickness of the insulation used for the piping size n R22 or R410A.

thus i see not important of class 0 or 1 . hmm... for 1/2 in insulation, what is the copper size diameter?

gascooler

Reaction score
Hi people,

the compressor for 2 of my units has spoiled already. looking to replace the full unit.

1. Low power consumption
2. Durable
3. Doesn't have to be a high-powered unit, since i'm thinking of installing it just above the bed only.

the Gain City guy recommended Hitachi unit to me, $3388 for system3 inverter, includes bracketing,installation, 5yr extended warranty - worth it?

Starmex is out of stock though - $200 more ex than Hitachi and less power saving, judging from the part/full load.

anyone can help? :crazy:

terumo

Reaction score
Daikin will not be involved in anything regarding piping or installation. They will just do their part and check on their equipment only. If i'm not wrong.

gascooler

Reaction score
read from your heart. if u tink tat aircon is gd than buy it.

but there is pro n con of every brand, model. so choose carefully.

don't really get what you mean. i think it'd be more useful to follow some guidelines/feedback when choosing an air-con, rather than base it on your "heart"?

yes i understand, precisely why i asked for feedback, so i can include more pros and cons in my decision-making and help me to make the best choice.

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi people,

1. Low power consumption
2. Durable

i'm currently using Toshiba Invertor sys-4. Chose it mainly becoz it's compressor is made-in-japan, plus my parent's place also used Toshiba previously which lasted them for ~15 years!

my first invertor system was Fujitsu... which i had to repair after ~ 4 yrs of usage.

i'm a heavy user, btw, on ~ 12hrs every nite. =:p

one thing to note was the Toshiba is very cold and i have to set it ~ 25-26°C. It uses R410a gas, and the condensed water can be chilly to the point that it may cause sweating on the drainage pipes, even when it's insulated with ARMAFLEX.

Also, GC installed it for me.=:p

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
don't really get what you mean. i think it'd be more useful to follow some guidelines/feedback when choosing an air-con, rather than base it on your "heart"?

yes i understand, precisely why i asked for feedback, so i can include more pros and cons in my decision-making and help me to make the best choice.
IMO, seldom people install Hitachi aircon.

mostly people install Daikin, Toshiba, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, MHI.

n also by researching at coolserve.com.sg, u can compare many brands n model of its full load n part load. u can go to nea website for comparison on full/part load data.

Last edited:

gascooler

Reaction score
i'm currently using Toshiba Invertor sys-4. Chose it mainly becoz it's compressor is made-in-japan, plus my parent's place also used Toshiba previously which lasted them for ~15 years!

my first invertor system was Fujitsu... which i had to repair after ~ 4 yrs of usage.

i'm a heavy user, btw, on ~ 12hrs every nite. =:p

one thing to note was the Toshiba is very cold and i have to set it ~ 25-26°C. It uses R410a gas, and the condensed water can be chilly to the point that it may cause sweating on the drainage pipes, even when it's insulated with ARMAFLEX.

Also, GC installed it for me.=:p

haha. i was using Toshiba all the way from 1999 to 2009. now one of the compressors broke down.. thinking it'd be more economical to change the whole system instead.

btw i went to coolserve website - but the "advisor" seems to have limited selections for system3. is it updated ? :s11:

for NEA website, they only described how the tests were being done, but did not give data on the different air-cons tested.

http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=2843

any idea?

Last edited:

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha. i was using Toshiba all the way from 1999 to 2009. now one of the compressors broke down.. thinking it'd be more economical to change the whole system instead.

btw i went to coolserve website - but the "advisor" seems to have limited selections for system3. is it updated ? :s11:

for NEA website, they only described how the tests were being done, but did not give data on the different air-cons tested.

http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=2843

any idea?
It is updated! not every company/shop hav the same thing/every brand & model!!

wa piang!!! u sure at the left side only 1 link? explore all links man! it is at "Database of Registered Goods "

bamzor

Reaction score
also note that NEA website show only the condensing unit model... Many different aircon usually share the same condensing unit model

fanlim

Reaction score
hi friend, i have SHARP AU-X24AKV sys 3 air con which were installed in the flat (about 6 years old) i just bought. but we found they can't produce cold at all, so we supposed it need gas, and ask someone come to charge the gas.after charging the gas, we found it has some problems:

1. if turn on any unit, the unit in common-room A also become cold at the coil even it is not open at all (the fan is off, but feel cold when touching the coil surface, and also see freeze water inside).
2. the other unit in the common-room B is not cold at all (it is beside common-room A, but further away from master-bedroom and compressor) .
3. the master-bedroom can produce cold, but seems not strong enough.
4. after some days, the three are all not cold anymore

is it possible that those prolbems are all from the spoiled unit of common-room A? because it can't control well, gas flow is not right, then common-room B can't be cold, and also master-room is not so cold, and finally gas leak out. if it is true, if i could disconnect the spoiled unit from the compressor, and still able to use the other two?

can u sugest me that it can be repaired or better go for new one?

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi friend, i have SHARP AU-X24AKV sys 3 air con which were installed in the flat (about 6 years old) i just bought. but we found they can't produce cold at all, so we supposed it need gas, and ask someone come to charge the gas.after charging the gas, we found it has some problems:

1. if turn on any unit, the unit in common-room A also become cold at the coil even it is not open at all (the fan is off, but feel cold when touching the coil surface, and also see freeze water inside).
2. the other unit in the common-room B is not cold at all (it is beside common-room A, but further away from master-bedroom and compressor) .
3. the master-bedroom can produce cold, but seems not strong enough.
4. after some days, the three are all not cold anymore

is it possible that those prolbems are all from the spoiled unit of common-room A? because it can't control well, gas flow is not right, then common-room B can't be cold, and also master-room is not so cold, and finally gas leak out. if it is true, if i could disconnect the spoiled unit from the compressor, and still able to use the other two?

can u sugest me that it can be repaired or better go for new one?
1. u mean when touch the coil is cold? got create any ice on it? if the coil is only cold but didnt create any ice, than need to call the Sharp service man to come n do some modify to the compressor pcb. tink its the valve tat didnt close tightly, tat will causes some flow to the coil.

2. for this problem, u might need to call the serviceman n check on the wiring connection on the compressor.

3. for this case, it shld be gas not enough.

for the above problem, i tink it might be something wrong wit the valve. or one of the compressor is down.

Last edited:

Yuen08

Reaction score
Hi Bro
Daikin engineer came and did the temperature check next to opening and claimed that the products are ok. But they can't tell whether the problem is caused by the piping when i asked them. They claimed maybe aircon is undersized but when i told them that it was Daikin who introduced me this model, they quickly said i must wait for 1-1.5 hour for the room to cool down. They were in the house for 40mins with 18degree max fan on but room temp is only 25degree. Engineer said it's impossible to have room temp below 22degree even though control is set at 18degrees. Is this true?
They will call Natural Cool to report their finding and ask them to check on the piping.
So disappointed that it hasn't resolve... so much calling and time wasting on this issue.

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Bro
Daikin engineer came and did the temperature check next to opening and claimed that the products are ok. But they can't tell whether the problem is caused by the piping when i asked them. They claimed maybe aircon is undersized but when i told them that it was Daikin who introduced me this model, they quickly said i must wait for 1-1.5 hour for the room to cool down. They were in the house for 40mins with 18degree max fan on but room temp is only 25degree. Engineer said it's impossible to have room temp below 22degree even though control is set at 18degrees. Is this true?
They will call Natural Cool to report their finding and ask them to check on the piping.
So disappointed that it hasn't resolve... so much calling and time wasting on this issue.
hm...than did u c wat was the temperature when they check?

it seems quite long for 1 to 1.5hr.. in my opinion, if the aircon is not undersized, than u can feel the whole room coolness within 5 to 15 mins..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.