Vpost? Borderlinx? Comgateway?

Darin22

Reaction score
Shopping Service

Has anyone tried usamail1.com ? They have a shopping service also. Their rates seem reasonable.
Darin

PCI_Slot

Reaction score
I'm an OCBC card holder.. wanna try this service because somehow the website i wanna shop soon ships only to US. heh.

After reading all the reviews, think i can say that using this forwarding service, the final cost that you will incur is not predictable huh? As the shipping on the forwarding company depends on the weight.

Because I thought since we got a USA address, how bout take advantage of the "Free Shipping to Local Addresses if your order is above USD50".

But i think it still depends right because shipping directly to your house might be cheaper than paying forwarding service shipping?

Anyone could clarify this? as in do you now use this USA address all the time or you calculate first to see which is cheaper?

academix

Reaction score

Another "TWO THUMBS UP" here for Viaddress.com :flash:

Armani Exchange package arrived at my suite with Viaddress on Friday, Nov 20, 2009 , they forwarded it the SAME DAY as I requested !!! and I received it Monday morning :D

Origin: Elkhart, IN, USA
Destination : SINGAPORE SG

Shipment Dates
Ship date : Friday, Nov 20, 2009 7:57 PM
Delivery date : Monday, Nov 23, 2009 11:28 AM

Nov 23, 2009 11:28 AM Delivered SINGAPORE SG
Nov 23, 2009 9:44 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery SINGAPORE SG
Nov 23, 2009 7:52 AM At local FedEx facility SINGAPORE SG
Nov 23, 2009 4:51 AM In transit SINGAPORE SG Package available for clearance
Nov 23, 2009 4:51 AM Int'l shipment release SINGAPORE SG
Nov 23, 2009 2:20 AM At dest sort facility SINGAPORE SG
Nov 21, 2009 10:10 AM Departed FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK
Nov 21, 2009 7:47 AM Arrived at FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK
Nov 21, 2009 2:01 AM Departed FedEx location MEMPHIS, TN
Nov 21, 2009 12:10 AM Arrived at FedEx location MEMPHIS, TN
Nov 20, 2009 11:01 PM Left FedEx origin facility SOUTH BEND, IN
Nov 20, 2009 8:11 PM Picked up Elkhart, IN
Nov 20, 2009 7:57 PM Shipment information sent to FedEx

I honestly haven't seen this kind of speed anywhere else... even when compared with shipping within Singapore :s13:

jyle_t

Reaction score
stupid question maybe, but borderlinx standard shipping got tracking or not? or is it just for express shipping? can't find any info on that...

Mystrix

Reaction score
need some confirmation

If i add my 2 items including shipping is USD$245 and shipping is USD77, then by right GST is over (exchange rate 1.38) $400 but borderlinx only charge me for USD77 shipping. No tax shown etc. Next page also never show. So am I 'free' from GST. Or might have a chance to be slapped by the tax. THanks!

ps I asked the chat guy and they said it will be as what i see. But they show USD invoice to custom leh... anyone tried before on such risky case.

Aleksandr

Master Member
Reaction score
need some confirmation

If i add my 2 items including shipping is USD$245 and shipping is USD77, then by right GST is over (exchange rate 1.38) $400 but borderlinx only charge me for USD77 shipping. No tax shown etc. Next page also never show. So am I 'free' from GST. Or might have a chance to be slapped by the tax. THanks!

ps I asked the chat guy and they said it will be as what i see. But they show USD invoice to custom leh... anyone tried before on such risky case.

I never kena before... Borderlinx will collect GST if necessary, otherwise should be fine.

victorchoo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
need some confirmation

you are free from tax. if you need to pay tax, they will indicate.

Mystrix

Reaction score
Phew. just processed it. So worry manz.
Thanks for all the replies.

Btw i use 121130 for 10% discount.
and just to share, I applied this for my 1st order. then i try to apply on 2nd order (i have 2 more to ship) and it doesnt wk.

So one coupon per customer
i cannot use it again but others can use this if they never use b4

ziggyy

Reaction score
Planning to buy a handbag for my wife, which would be better? CGW or Borderlinx, I have citibank card, wife has OCBC card. CGW got some 12% discount and I have a 10% discount for BL, some anniversary stuff...

Also thinking of getting an electronic items from amazon but if the total hits $400, got to donate to GST right?

Thanks.

Mystrix

Reaction score
ya hit $400 must pay tax. but like mine, mayeb their system calculate never hit so didnt pay. not sure yet. wait till items arrived

and yr bag qn etc, all these are a gamble. u never know how big the box is going to be and its hard to say which one is better. cgw has repackaging services, charges it and their volumetric calculation seem to be worse than borderlinx. u can check their website n check on that.

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
ya hit $400 must pay tax. but like mine, mayeb their system calculate never hit so didnt pay. not sure yet. wait till items arrived

and yr bag qn etc, all these are a gamble. u never know how big the box is going to be and its hard to say which one is better. cgw has repackaging services, charges it and their volumetric calculation seem to be worse than borderlinx. u can check their website n check on that.
isnt the volumetric calculation same for both cgw and boderlinx?

Mystrix

Reaction score
isnt the volumetric calculation same for both cgw and boderlinx?

u sure....... last check mths ago is different. actually what makes u think that volumetric calculation is same. it depends on the company.. very dangerous to assume such things. like borderlinx quietly adjust the calculation. so really need to read T&C as n when we are using them.

buggerbuggerbrinjal

Reaction score
I've been using comgateway, but vPost seems cheaper for <2.7kg total chargeable weight. I just calculated this table:

Comparative Shipping Charges (in SGD)
* assuming exchange rate of US$1 = SGD1.45
* vp = vPOSTUSA, cgw = comGateway

0.8kg
vp: 18.42
cgw: 22.48

1.2kg
vp: 22.72
cgw: 25.74

1.7kg
vp: 27.02
cgw: 29.00

2.2kg
vp: 31.32
cgw: 32.26

2.7kg
vp: 35.62
cgw: 35.53

3.2kg
vp: 39.92
cgw: 38.79

3.7kg
vp: 44.22
cgw: 42.05

4.7kg
vp: 52.82
cgw: 48.58

So it looks like I should have went with vPost instead of CGW, because I only ship two or three small packages at a time. Unless vPost is slow/unreliable? CGW has been fast for me, although they don't have a phone number to call for support.

Also, does vPost have problems combining books, apparel and electronics under one shipment now? I remember there used to be some problem with that, which is probably why I didn't use it in the first place.

edit: woah, I just noticed that CGW changed its definition of volumetric weight to inches/305 instead of the old inches/366. So that's even worse than vPost now.

Also CGW rounds up the weight for each individual package even before consolidating. Man, I should have realised this earlier and switched to vPost! That table up there is quite useless now...

edit 2: wow, vPost allows multiple shipments with only 1 base charge? Does that allow me to avoid GST? Why am I still using CGW??

Last edited:

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
u sure....... last check mths ago is different. actually what makes u think that volumetric calculation is same. it depends on the company.. very dangerous to assume such things. like borderlinx quietly adjust the calculation. so really need to read T&C as n when we are using them.
no no, wat i meant was the calculation. as in the (width x height x depth) divided by 5000, which gives you the volumetric weight. isnt it the same for both borderlinx and cgw?

as for the shipping charges, cgw is more ex, this i understand..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.