Back from South island New Zealand

socrates

Reaction score
Queenstown has a few nice places to visit which are quite near.

nz050.jpg

nz051.jpg

nz052.jpg

nz053.jpg

I did a drive on the winding uphill crowne range to get to wanaka. the views from Crowne range are magnificient.

nz054.jpg

At Wanaka, visited the Puzzle world which is really good fun.

nz059.jpg

nz055.jpg

Had lunch at Wanaka and insisted to have it outdoors facing the lake and Mt Aspiring as it was such a nice day. One thing I enjoy of such places is being able to eat outdoors in the middle of the day and mot feel hot and sweaty or have ants crawl up on you.

socrates

Reaction score
nz061.jpg

nz062.jpg

On the drive back went to Arrowtown which looks like a American cowboy town.

droozy

Master Member
Reaction score
socrates..

Do u mind sharing me your itnerary with me ? If possible,can provide me the names or links of places u stay and where u rent your car ??

Have been wanting to got SOuth NZ for long time.. due some mishaps sigh.. thanks and looking forward to your reply !! Your pictures are beautiful !

socrates

Reaction score
left Queenstown early in the morning and drove down to Fox glacier on a cold rainy day.

nz073.jpg

Stopped for a while to look at the raging tasman sea. windy and cold !

The fox glacier climb is quite an experience. Have to climb about what the guides called about 700 steps through the forest before actually reaching the glacier. It was raining a bit through out the climb and it is still and experience standing on top of a glacier.

nz077.jpg

Jane one of our guides

nz080.jpg

peter our other guide

nz081.jpg

On the glacier, what a cold experience.

Unfortunately weather was not so good at Fox glacier and we did not get to visit Lake Matheson or have a good view of mt cook.

jamstart

Reaction score
Oh man... after seeing all the photos from gasband's thread and this one make us decided to go NZ South Island for our honeymoon.

Can I check how much budget should we set aside for 2ppl for a 15-17days trip?
Bro, dont hesitate. I went there during my honeymoon 10 yrs ago and till now, I still like that play very much. I spent 3 weeks there, both north and south islands. Spent about 10k for a couple. Never regret till now. Best is go F&E, dont follow tour.

d_kalos

Reaction score
Me not hestitating already... hahahaha....
I am now in the mist of planning for this NZ trip and monitoring the SIA air ticket price. =)

Socrates,

Mind sharing your itnery and any accommodation recommendations to share around South Island?

jamstart

Reaction score
Bro, best to plan your itinery is go and check out those tour groups where they usually go and visit. Then also visit NZ Embassy for more infor., Compile all the info and where is the best place to go, cant be wrong one. Best is invite and get a few of your best friends to tag along, a couple only is quite lonely and boring. My honeymoon trip, 3 couples went together, so much fun. Dont worry about honeymoon, you can honeymoon is your bedroom. hehe.

socrates

Reaction score
d_kalos just sent you my plan to NZ. Check your PM.

nz016.jpg

Blue sky and blue lake. Picture taken at Cromwell. Could sit there and eat my strawberries and cherries all day

Blessed Christmas to all!

yonanz

Reaction score
nicee guys..i just came back from a 10 day tour of nz as well..however i must say that for NZ its better to go FREE and EZ..tts my opinion..becuz there are too many tockgong sceneries and activities one can do in his own capacity without the added burden of having to cater to different interest of so many people in a tour group. tour group also touch and go alot of places..if u really want to explore in depth the fauna and magificent natural beauty of NZ, and do alot of activities, then go by yourself..dont go tour...

and btw thoser who consider going for scenery, south island seems to be better, esp the southern tip of south island, although it could get quite cold. check out the mountains and lakes...and do try acitivites lke jet boat, heli, and lug ride.

socrates

Reaction score
After Fox glacier made the long drive from Fox through Arthur's pass and finally reaching Christchurch

nza002.jpg

nza003.jpg

nza004.jpg

nza005.jpg

Pictures taken while driving through Arthur's pass. Beautiful even on a largely cloudy day.

A happy new year to everybody here as well.

donald83

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all im planning a trip to South Island in late June/early July

1. Winter time there during this period. Can I still enjoy the views in the pics posted by Socrates?

2. Which is the cheapest mode to fly to Christchurch?

3. Heard recommendations that it's better to rent a caravan and drive around and sleep at trailer parks. Anyone tried that before and care to share your experience?

gasband

Reaction score
Winter time has its own beautiful views that Summer doesnt have especially in the South Island. I think its more enjoyable to enjoy the sights in nice cool weather. Milford Sound with all its waterfalls would be spectacular in winter and spring but of cos the west coast of south island is very erratic weather wise. I do not think you will miss much going in winter.

I do not think you get tickets that are too cheap. From SG, Only SQ flies direct to Christchurch and Qantas is via Australia territories. But winter tickets would definitely be cheaper then summer tickets. If 2 to go, I would think SQ would be a pretty good deal. 10 hours on the plane, SQ with its unparalleled entertainment Krisworld is so much important haha. My flight to Christchurch during last Sep was around 1278.

Caravan despite what many people say about being easy to drive and handle may not be enjoyable for us at least not for me. I think its difficult to drive especially on unsealed roads. Try driving a caravan around the unending bends and unsealed road sandy roads from Queenstown to Wanaka or when I drove up to Mount Cardrona, where the lanes are just good for 2 cars and there are no railings to stop you from falling into abyss, driving a caravan might add to the pressure. And its not all free anyway, you need to pay for trailer parks and most trailer parks do not have good views and you still got to top up your water supply only at parks etc....i would say get a car, its not very expensive if you get an old car, i got a 10 yr old corolla which looks bad bt works very well for less than 500 bucks for 13 days with GPS, tyre and windscreen insurance.

socrates

Reaction score
donald83:

While on the road every other vehicle seems to be a camper van but I would always prefer to rent a car and stay in motels, B&Bs etc. There are a lot of nice accomadation around in NZ and staying in one os not only a good experience but it is sure beter than staying in cramped environment.

If you know the exact days of your trip, keep a lookout for promotions and book fast!

Main thing I feel is not to rush through your trip but to sit still at times and enjoy the great scenery.

nz041.jpg

time to just sit and stare...

donald83

Master Member
Reaction score
Tks gasband and socrates for the valuable info. guess i'll rent a car and drive then. can start to plan already. going around july.

socrates u also fly by SQ? Normally when is the period where SQ having promotion to Christchurch?

gasband

Reaction score
donald83:

While on the road every other vehicle seems to be a camper van but I would always prefer to rent a car and stay in motels, B&Bs etc. There are a lot of nice accomadation around in NZ and staying in one os not only a good experience but it is sure beter than staying in cramped environment.

If you know the exact days of your trip, keep a lookout for promotions and book fast!

Main thing I feel is not to rush through your trip but to sit still at times and enjoy the great scenery.

nz041.jpg

time to just sit and stare...

fantastic picture of lake tekapo, i am right? Summer time picture compared to my spring time picture got difference haha...

socrates

Reaction score
Yes I also flew by SQ booked at a good price at $1278. (Usual price was at least $400 more) I booked my ticket in early Sept and flew in dec. Have never booked and planned a trip so early. I did not actually spot any adverts, I happen to find out about the promotion when I spoke to a tour agent friend on the phone. Tour agents know of promotions much better/faster than us and so made a quick decison to go for this trip as it was always a dream to go to NZ

nz042.jpg

Don't drive everywhere, make sure to go for walks as well esp in the early morning or evenings before sunset.

socrates

Reaction score
Gasband that picture as at te anau my fav place. Unfornately when I was at tekapo it was very cloudy and very very very cold (less than 5 degrees). how's your England trip planning coming along?

gasband

Reaction score
Gasband that picture as at te anau my fav place. Unfornately when I was at tekapo it was very cloudy and very very very cold (less than 5 degrees). how's your England trip planning coming along?

that one haven plan haha... nx week i am going cambodia for 6 days then come back then next day go Shanghai for 4 days haha! AFter that would still to clear Vietnam and Bangkok or Boracay or Bali. :D

gasband

Reaction score

wow ur te anau picture is nice... when i was in te anau it was raining for 2 full days haha :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.