Institute of Technology (SIT) - Singapore's 5th University!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB Hart

Reaction score
SIT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...n-six-campuses

SIT-ting on six campuses

by Jeremy Koh
05:55 AM Mar 16, 2010

SINGAPORE - The upcoming Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) will have a total of six campuses across the island by 2014 - five located within local polytechnics, and a headquarters at a yet-to-be identified location.

A master agreement was signed yesterday between the five polytechnics and SIT, which has been touted as a more convenient and cheaper pathway for polytechnic graduates seeking a university degree.

Students will be able to get their degrees in just two years, and the school fees of about $9,000 a year are much lower than if they were to head overseas. The first intake of 500 students will take place this year.

Aside from infrastructure, the polytechnics will provide teaching resources and other necessary facilities.

SIT president, Professor Tan Chin Tiong, said: "I would say they are world class so there's no reason not to leverage on what they already have."

So far, five overseas varsities have agreed to offer their degree programmes through the SIT. They are the Technical University of Munich, DigiPen Institute of Technology, Newcastle University, University of Nevada and the Culinary Institute of America. The long-term plan is to link up with up to 15 overseas varsities.

Eventually, about half of the faculty will come from the overseas varsities. SIT and the polytechnics will also identify polytechnic staff who have the potential to teach at SIT as Adjunct Lecturers.

Principal of Singapore Polytechnic Tan Hang Cheong said: "The majority of polytechnic lecturers have at least a post-graduate degree, so it's wrong to think they are all basic degree holders. That was in the past."

SIT's first eight degree programmes will be rolled out in August. Some eight companies have signed on to provide 50 scholarship places.
S’pore’s 5th university to have 6 campuses

MyPaper
BY CHERYL LIM
THE Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT), which will open in August, will have five campuses located in Singapore’s five polytechnics. It will also have a separate campus in another location.

This “distributed campus system” will be ready in 2014, and will be a first for a university here.

Set up to help polytechnic diploma holders upgrade their qualifications to a degree, Singapore’s fifth university will offer eight degree programmes from five renowned universities.

Students will attend most of their classes at one polytechnic campus, but will have to travel to the standalone campus to take modules that are compulsory for all students. These include courses in communication skills, leadership development and entrepreneurship, said SIT’s president, Professor Tan Chin Tiong, yesterday.

He said that the “distributed campus model allows SIT to leverage on available infrastructure”, even though a separate SIT campus will be built within each polytechnic campus.

For instance, undergraduates can share a polytechnic’s facilities, such as laboratories and swimming pools.

It is unlikely that students will have to travel to more than one campus in a day, said an SIT spokesman. In the meantime, they will use the polytechnics’ facilities. SIT faculty members will initially comprise teaching staff from the five universities: Technische Universitat Munchen (Munich Technical University), Newcastle University, the Digipen Institute of Technology, the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and the Culinary Institute of America.

SIT will develop and hire its own academic staff to make up half of its total faculty strength eventually. It will also work with the polytechnics to identify polytechnic faculty with the potential to teach at SIT as adjunct lecturers, said Prof Tan.

“They will then be given the opportunity for further training and upgrading, and possibly take up their PhDs if they haven’t already, to prepare themselves for the role,” he said.

Singaporeans and permanent residents will have their fees subsidised by the Education Ministry, and will typically pay about $9,000 each year for its two-year programmes, after subsidies.

SIT has also secured 50 scholarships for top polytechnic graduates from companies such as Sembcorp Marine and Apex-Pal, which are in sectors related to the speciality programmes offered at the university.

Mr Timothy Tham, 21, who holds a diploma in games development and will complete his national service in October, intends to enrol in Digipen Institute of Technology’s bachelor of science in real-time interactive simulation programme.

He said: “I’ve been accepted into the National University of Singapore, but I prefer DigiPen as it is more recognised, especially for my field.”

xiaoicy89

Reaction score
SIT offer digipen BS in Real-Time for 2years. Digipen (Singapore Campus/Redmond Campus) is offering for 4years

Well, there's currently a hot debate within the Digipen students on the quality of the course offer by SIT. Likewise, if you study 4years at Redmond or Singapore, the fee excluding other expenses can amount to over 80k.

The entry requirement for the 4years course is based mainly on your personal statement (american style). But I'm not sure whether it applies to the 2years offer by SIT. But I believe SIT will gauge by your GPA unlike the one from digipen directly. My poly gpa was only 2.1 but I got in through base on my personal statement and 2 recommendation letters from the school and employer

I apply for digipen last year but gave up due to high course fee. Although it is a challenging course, but many find it too niche since it is a specialize degree.

Is the course very hard to cope? This course is more theory based or practical? Because I don't really like memorising theory. Can explain more about the course

Thxs

ImLostHere

Reaction score
is the sit degree recognize in singapore ? some say is just a private uni which is as good as sim but is pay half by gov only.

Biogentic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is the sit degree recognize in singapore ? some say is just a private uni which is as good as sim but is pay half by gov only.

i reckon it is just another SIM global degree. No difference, it is still distance learning except it come with lower fees.

Ethan_

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i reckon it is just another SIM global degree. No difference, it is still distance learning except it come with lower fees.
Think the concept/approach is not the same. Instead of starting from scratch (like in the past), the way for this uni to come up fast is to create the empty shell, then plug in each faculty with the best from around the world... instant (renowned/established) faculty.

Thus, the faculties in this uni would already be established and renowned in their own field... i.e. external recognition probably shouldn't be a problem, as they already have their own place in the world. Think internal recognition shouldn't be much of a problem too, since they are here because of official invitation (if the gov don't recognise them, why bother invite them).

Also, at the looks of the current structure, don't think its distant learning (dunno about the other schools, but at least not all). Take digipen itself, its has its own schools and teaching staffs, same course and syllabus as US, but local transfer of knowledge.

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think the concept/approach is not the same. Instead of starting from scratch (like in the past), the way for this uni to come up fast is to create the empty shell, then plug in each faculty with the best from around the world... instant (renowned/established) faculty.

Thus, the faculties in this uni would already be established and renowned in their own field... i.e. external recognition probably shouldn't be a problem, as they already have their own place in the world. Think internal recognition shouldn't be much of a problem too, since they are here because of official invitation (if the gov don't recognise them, why bother invite them).

Also, at the looks of the current structure, don't think its distant learning (dunno about the other schools, but at least not all). Take digipen itself, its has its own schools and teaching staffs, same course and syllabus as US, but local transfer of knowledge.
unless the 5th uni can give out their own degree, it's just a place for dl studies, nothing wrong with that but to call it the 5th uni abit :s22:

geekboy

Banned
Reaction score

Local transfer of knowledge, staff, factilities, etc but not local certs, so still DL.

BB Hart

Reaction score
SIT Board of Trustees

Board of Trustees look as good as NUS, NTU and SMU.
Not the SIM/MDIS type.
It is a public University and not DL type. Newspapers all say 5th Uni. If Gov not agree, newspapers would not dared to write 5th Uni!

http://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/?p=8

Our Board of Trustees
Chairman
Mr Ng Yat Chung 伍逸松
Senior Managing Director, Portfolio Management and Systems
Temasek Holdings

Deputy Chairman
Mr Loh Ngai Seng 卢毅成
Deputy Secretary (Policy)
Ministry of Education

Members
Dr Abdul Razakjr Bin Omar
Consultant Cardiologist and Clinical Director of Cardiac Electrophysiology & Pacing
National University Heart Centre

Dr Beh Swan Gin 马宣仁
Managing Director
Singapore Economic Development Board

Mr Jeremy Chan 曾台兴
Deputy President (Marketing & Total Aviation Support)
ST Aerospace Ltd

Professor Hang Chang Chieh 康长杰
Head, Division Of Engineering & Technology Management
National University of Singapore

Dr. Richard Charles Helfer
Chairman
RCH International Pte Ltd

Mr Allen Lew 刘永强
Chief Executive Officer Singapore
Singapore Telecommunications Ltd

Dr Lim Khiang Wee 林建伟
Executive Director
A*STAR Graduate Academy
Agency for Science, Technology and Research

Mr Pek Hak Bin 白学敏
Country President
BP Companies in Singapore

Mr Roy Quek 郭鸿盛
Deputy Secretary (Health Policy)
Ministry of Health

Mr Dilhan Pillay Sandrasegara
Managing Partner
Wong Partnership LLP

Mr Michael Yap 叶剑寿
Deputy Chief Executive Officer
Media Development Authority

Ms Mary Yeo 杨楚玉
Vice President, Supply Chain Operations (South Asia Pacific)
United Parcel Service Singapore Pte Ltd

Ex Officio Member
Professor Tan Chin Tiong 陈振忠
President, Singapore Institute of Technology 新加坡科技学院校长

MadPrince

Reaction score
I always thought that in order to qualify as a university in Singapore, it must at least be approved to issue its own degree, not degrees of overseas university. Besides the 3 local university, the 4th university is currently building in changi and they too are issuing their own degree. The name of SIT seems to show similarity with SIM Global. Both do not have the word "University" in their name, while both have the word "Institute" instead.

As for the newspaper part, UniSIM was too touted as the 4th university in the papers but the new and upcoming SUTD in changi area proved it wrong. But at least UniSIM is approved by MOE to issue its own degree.

However the govt is heavily subsidizing the sch fees of SIT and the partner universities issuing the degrees are of top quality. SIT is also using the facilities of the 5 local polys so from all these initiatives, we can see that they are a better choice than the other private schools like sim global / MDIS etc.

The only concern is that the degrees offered are quite limited, in the sense they are more of a niche area type of degree.

Above are just my humble views.

Last edited:

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Board of Trustees look as good as NUS, NTU and SMU.
Not the SIM/MDIS type.
It is a public University and not DL type. Newspapers all say 5th Uni. If Gov not agree, newspapers would not dared to write 5th Uni!

http://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/?p=8

Our Board of Trustees
Chairman
Mr Ng Yat Chung 伍逸松
Senior Managing Director, Portfolio Management and Systems
Temasek Holdings

Deputy Chairman
Mr Loh Ngai Seng 卢毅成
Deputy Secretary (Policy)
Ministry of Education

Members
Dr Abdul Razakjr Bin Omar
Consultant Cardiologist and Clinical Director of Cardiac Electrophysiology & Pacing
National University Heart Centre

Dr Beh Swan Gin 马宣仁
Managing Director
Singapore Economic Development Board

Mr Jeremy Chan 曾台兴
Deputy President (Marketing & Total Aviation Support)
ST Aerospace Ltd

Professor Hang Chang Chieh 康长杰
Head, Division Of Engineering & Technology Management
National University of Singapore

Dr. Richard Charles Helfer
Chairman
RCH International Pte Ltd

Mr Allen Lew 刘永强
Chief Executive Officer Singapore
Singapore Telecommunications Ltd

Dr Lim Khiang Wee 林建伟
Executive Director
A*STAR Graduate Academy
Agency for Science, Technology and Research

Mr Pek Hak Bin 白学敏
Country President
BP Companies in Singapore

Mr Roy Quek 郭鸿盛
Deputy Secretary (Health Policy)
Ministry of Health

Mr Dilhan Pillay Sandrasegara
Managing Partner
Wong Partnership LLP

Mr Michael Yap 叶剑寿
Deputy Chief Executive Officer
Media Development Authority

Ms Mary Yeo 杨楚玉
Vice President, Supply Chain Operations (South Asia Pacific)
United Parcel Service Singapore Pte Ltd

Ex Officio Member
Professor Tan Chin Tiong 陈振忠
President, Singapore Institute of Technology 新加坡科技学院校长
the state can make us think that it is a uni, but to me it's just another place for dl degrees (nothing wrong), unless it offers its own degree, then its a uni

sgsnorgtees

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the state can make us think that it is a uni, but to me it's just another place for dl degrees (nothing wrong), unless it offers its own degree, then its a uni

this seems to be a move to appease poly grads who cant make it to local u. it's just a glorified SIM. i just feel that it'll just backfire in years to come.

1. no matter how they glamourise it, it's just another 2nd/3rd class uni in sg. it may be a notch better than SIM, but it'll be nowhere near the local uni standard; in terms of degree's quality and recognition, and the social network you'll get in local u.

2. it'll just create unneccessary pressure for dip holders to pursue a private degree just to "advance their career" or to get a better paying job, when sadly, it's more than often not.

3. more people are being thrown into the pool of struggling private degree holders. with a significant portion of them alr having difficulties finding jobs, or simply shun "lowly" jobs because they're "degree holders", i dont see how the enlarged pool will help the economy. this is one big reason why more foreigners are taking up the service jobs. their seniors have "upgraded" themselves and find the jobs inferior to their education level.

4. the value of dip will just freefall. with so many "degree holders" now, why would companies still want to hire dip holders? it's an irony when this is caused by poly grads themselves.

sorry if it appears that i look down on private degrees and poly students but this is what i feel about the current situation. and pardon my ang moh

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this seems to be a move to appease poly grads who cant make it to local u. it's just a glorified SIM. i just feel that it'll just backfire in years to come.

1. no matter how they glamourise it, it's just another 2nd/3rd class uni in sg. it may be a notch better than SIM, but it'll be nowhere near the local uni standard; in terms of degree's quality and recognition, and the social network you'll get in local u.

2. it'll just create unneccessary pressure for dip holders to pursue a private degree just to "advance their career" or to get a better paying job, when sadly, it's more than often not.

3. more people are being thrown into the pool of struggling private degree holders. with a significant portion of them alr having difficulties finding jobs, or simply shun "lowly" jobs because they're "degree holders", i dont see how the enlarged pool will help the economy. this is one big reason why more foreigners are taking up the service jobs. their seniors have "upgraded" themselves and find the jobs inferior to their education level.

4. the value of dip will just freefall. with so many "degree holders" now, why would companies still want to hire dip holders? it's an irony when this is caused by poly grads themselves.

sorry if it appears that i look down on private degrees and poly students but this is what i feel about the current situation. and pardon my ang moh
it is, i'm worried we will be like Taiwan, throw a rock can hit someone with a degree

Ethan_

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I always thought that in order to qualify as a university in Singapore, it must at least be approved to issue its own degree, not degrees of overseas university. Besides the 3 local university, the 4th university is currently building in changi and they too are issuing their own degree. The name of SIT seems to show similarity with SIM Global. Both do not have the word "University" in their name, while both have the word "Institute" instead.

As for the newspaper part, UniSIM was too touted as the 4th university in the papers but the new and upcoming SUTD in changi area proved it wrong. But at least UniSIM is approved by MOE to issue its own degree.

However the govt is heavily subsidizing the sch fees of SIT and the partner universities issuing the degrees are of top quality. SIT is also using the facilities of the 5 local polys so from all these initiatives, we can see that they are a better choice than the other private schools like sim global / MDIS etc.

The only concern is that the degrees offered are quite limited, in the sense they are more of a niche area type of degree.

Think each of them already have their own place in the world (for their specific field). So the degree are more valuable if issue under the school themselves (or name), rather than under a relative unknown SIT name (though not sure how they going to work that out, as never read much into it).

Think the limited degrees are only temporary, as its just starting out, just starting to rope in the right partner. Contrary, its rather appealing that the degree are niche, and high time its so... rather than just following the usual and churn out generals ones, where they could be jack of all trades, but master of none...

So, this uni is really for people who know what they really wants. Those not sure one, go in also will have a hard time... i.e. assuming niche school are more focus in what they do, and do them best. Think that could be the reason why they give to poly grads, who are already going toward some specialisation, rather than college kids, who could still be thinking what they want to be.

Last edited:

Crizzs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it is, i'm worried we will be like Taiwan, throw a rock can hit someone with a degree

actually it is the ultimate trend in a developed society. "People improve themselves by making themselves more marketable,such a case a degree is an option.
Especially in a knowledge-based economy, jobs that are churned out paying well are highly skilled jobs. Degree acts like a key to open up such opportunities however rest of the journey is how you perform..
Like i always said, "No matter how prestigious your degree maybe, how valuable you are is left for many to judge":s13:

Ethan_

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

By providing somewhat affordable degrees, think its a pull factor rather than a push factor for quite many, given the consistence aspiration of most towards degree. Thus, think the power that be is somewhat higher up, its not about the poly grads wants.

Moreover nowadays, ITE seem like a feeder for Poly, and Poly seems like a feeder for Uni (if taking the alternative path). Seem like they are not that strong as standalone anymore... looking more and more like is there to provide feeder service mostly...

Think perhaps there could be a hidden agenda to keep the students in study for longer.

Last edited:

Crizzs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By providing somewhat affordable degrees, think its a pull factor rather than a push factor for quite many, given the consistence aspiration of most towards degree. Thus, think the power that be is somewhat higher up, its not about the poly grads wants.

Moreover nowadays, ITE seem like a feeder for Poly, and Poly seems like a feeder for Uni (if taking the alternative path). Seem like they are not that strong as standalone anymore... looking more and more like is there to provide feeder service mostly...

Think perhaps there could be a hidden agenda to keep the students in study for longer.

In this new age of globalisation, armed with a degree ,bilingualism and industry experience is a good mix for us,singaporeans too become global talents. In turn, me thinks, it will help new generation of Singaporeans to venture outward and fighting "trade war in the Asian century" Hopefully we can see fellow Singaporeans highly sought after by big firms around the world

ImLostHere

Reaction score
but the problem is will the degree given by SIT is as good as NTU and NUS? i mean as in someone resume with SIT degree will not be put behide like the rest of the Private Uni compare to NTU,NUS and SMU?

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score

The name of the instituition doesnt matter... so what it doesnt matter contain the "university" word ? MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) and CalTech (California Institute of Technology) doesnt contain that word .. People should look at the content of the course as well as the reputation of the degree offered...not the name of the school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.