Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

leechingyuan

Reaction score
To my understanding, chemical washing or washing is needed regularly "IF" you have did it before. For gas leakage, usually it not due to washing but due to piping compromised during top up gas. Eventually, I do know that there is never a need to top up if you never did before. Gas wont leak unless you had damage piping or compressor or in case of takedown washing.

New air-con system nowadays doesn't need much washing eg. full takedown or chemical washing. Only need to do cleaning filters and general vacuuming. But once you had any full washing did before eg chemical washing... you will carry on half yearly washing is needed.

In any event for "top-up" gas, insist no need and ask them not to touch your piping or compressor. During Chemical washing or water pipe clearing, don't need to touch the compressor piping. (copper)

Basically, usual charge for chemical wash per blower is $40 ($80 for system 2) or $20 for non-chemical wash ($60 for system 3). Never ever let them touch your copper piping or your compressor.

They can easily loosen and compromise the sealing of copper pipe (gas pipe) due to lousy workmanship, not usually on purpose which in turn gas will leakage and thus more servicing needed. I learn all these from repairmen who does my office AC system. Home AC system for gas top for invertor is truly more expensive BUT if installation is done by reputated company - unlikely leakage and no top-up gas needed even for non-invertor.

Thanks for the reply! So it is likely that the washing have caused the leakage? :(
Does the repair man you know also repairs household aircon?
Quotes from other companies to do a pressure test are even more expensive.. coolserve quoted me $550 excluding GST.. sigh..

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
No - chemical or normal washing dun cause leakage. Only "Full Takedown" washing ($200+ per unit) will compromise the pipe and thus leakage. For you case, likely to be cause by during toping-up gas that compromise the seal in the piping.

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No - chemical or normal washing dun cause leakage. Only "Full Takedown" washing ($200+ per unit) will compromise the pipe and thus leakage. For you case, likely to be cause by during toping-up gas that compromise the seal in the piping.

donno wat u mean by "full takedown"?

chemical or normal washing also need to bring disconnect the copper pipe n bring it down to wash. isnt it?

leechingyuan

Reaction score

Oh ok.. do you have any recommended aircon repair man? Feel so cheated by Hong Tar.. :(

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
For new AC user, please do monthly basic cleaning of your blower's filter etc. Leave the blower dry by using "High" in fan mode if your filter is wet for 3 hours before setting to your AC cooling mode. Generally if lucky, you wont need any servicing for 5-8yrs. My wife's house never did any servicing but regular cleaning since 8yrs of usage and still blowing cool and strong! Surprisingly for me.

Unlike my house and those who having regular servicing every 6 months or so, continue doing so unless if after servicing chemical wash and still blower working fine but giving warm air (blowing efficiently) despite in cold mode, then ask the AC guy to look into your compressor. Its either leakage or fan inefficient. Usually in servicing case, its usually the blower fins gettin clotted/choke with geling, dirt and icing. Dun top-up gas or check compressor unnecessarily, a simple twit in ur copper seal will cause leakage and serviceman will earn more next time.

No need to disconnect any piping during normal/chemical wash. If needed, they are doing extra work whereby compromising your copper pipe sealing which in turn cause leakage. Why would they do extra work? With proper equipments, they can clean each unit without any removal of any piping in 15-20mins or lesser. They can even clear your choke water pipe just removing the flexible water piping and clear the choke. Still doesn't need to remove or touch the copper piping.

In reputated company such as Doctor AC or Coolserve, they do full takedown washing and clean for blower unit which is ($200+) per unit. Can call up to check if you need. I did my checking thou but pretty un-necessary unless your blower fan is not moving AT ALL aka jammed beyond normal/chemical washing needed. Most time in this case, I would prefer to replace a new blower myself.

Last edited:

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
Just a general guide, Service guy dun need to touch ur compressor or your copper pipe if you only order a $20 wash or $40 chemical wash.

They only need to see and touch your compressor and copper pipe if you tell them to or ask them for "Takedown" servicing which will cost $200 per unit (blower).

During service washing, clearing of water choke is F.O.C in most cases. If asking for more $$$, tell him that you will report this to his company (if he have 1 :D)

After washing is completed, dun on AC in cool mode but in Fan dry mode (high power) for 1-2hours for drying purpose. Yes, its a waste of $$$ but no choice is you want ur servicing to last. Please if the service guy start your AC in cool mode, tell him to "F Off" - it will cause icing and gelling because the liquid chemical or water is still within the blower itself. But you can only know its a completed servicing after you switch to cool mode after 2 hours later. If problems arise, dun hesitate to call and KPKB. :D

Avoid freelance or any small article adver in newspaper. Go for the reputated big cleaning company and yes their charges is abit little more but generally, $40 for chemical washing is still available.

Last edited:

Innocast

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my new aircon two weeks, liao hab not clean the filter yet........jialat............:(:(:(:(

rerear

Reaction score
Nice aircon pics Innocast, congrats on purchase.

Anyone has some inputs to the below, sorry for the noob.

How long it takes to install aircon for the 2-time visits (a) inspect your house (b) actual installation?

Any aircon has ability to counter the 'air-too-dry' effect, or this is really an inherent con of having aircon?

Innocast

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

How long it takes to install aircon for the 2-time visits (a) inspect your house (b) actual installation?

Any aircon has ability to counter the 'air-too-dry' effect, or this is really an inherent con of having aircon?

thanks.......:D

installation abt 2-3 hours ba..........:D:D:D:D

air-too-dry prob can be solved easily by putting a bowl of water or a cup of water in ur room.........:s13:

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score

my sys-4 took 2-days to complete installation! :s13:

cold air loses moisture, can't be helped. you can install a humidifier, it works wonders. but may result in condensation in the pipes. =:p

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
Too high humidity will cause unnecessary condensation in cooling fin (coldest parts of blower), when condensation kicks-in, icing/geling will occur minimally even with drainage system to clear extra condensate. With icing/gelling occuring, of course dirt, glime and dust will trap in "fins" even thou filter is there. This is where choking begin as non-liquid substance accumulation in blower system.

Other effect of condensation in pipes (cool) due to high humidity result in mould/wet insulator. Mould will tend to growth in wet & cool area aka wet trunking. Growing mould in your room can be Bad for health thou. :(

Yes, in AC room can be very dry and low humidity but cannot be help as I mention above which why AC system are make to reduce humidity in process of cooling.

IMHO, Adding humidifer adds to electric bills plus extra burden to AC systems and compromise health in mould growing also. Yes, all above mention situation can be rectified but at a cost of money and health.

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
Too high humidity will cause unnecessary condensation in cooling fin (coldest parts of blower), when condensation kicks-in, icing/geling will occur minimally even with drainage system to clear extra condensate. With icing/gelling occuring, of course dirt, glime and dust will trap in "fins" even thou filter is there. This is where choking begin as non-liquid substance accumulation in blower system.

Other effect of condensation in pipes (cool) due to high humidity result in mould/wet insulator. Mould will tend to growth in wet & cool area aka wet trunking. Growing mould in your room can be Bad for health thou. :(

Yes, in AC room can be very dry and low humidity but cannot be help as I mention above which why AC system are make to reduce humidity in process of cooling.

IMHO, Adding humidifer adds to electric bills plus extra burden to AC systems and compromise health in mould growing also. Yes, all above mention situation can be rectified but at a cost of money and health.

ya. that's why i olso stopped using the humidifier.
:s13:

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
ok, i need some expert views here...

i'm running a sys-4, is the gas (A410 here) in all 4 FCU separated from each other? :look:

rerear

Reaction score
is it really true that buying aircon during hot months of year more ex than during cooler periods like year end?

Greatsolar

Reaction score
Went to Gain City Seng Kang just now.

Was quoted 2812 for ME inverter. 150 for steel bracket

320 for power point with certification by HDB and 190 for power point without certification by HDB. Anyone heard of this before?

Is the amount quoted above fair? Seems quite ex...

lovejade

Master Member
Reaction score
47041827.jpg

compare them yourself.
i aiming the panasonic too..newer model and seems like with the latest inverter technology.

http://coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/products/products_details.asp?id=2495

the model is Panasonic CU-3S27JKZ / CS-S9JKZW X 3 8,530Btu/hr
Gain City $2799 with GST
cheapest quotation from the amk shop EverJoint, around 2.5k with G23 copper pipe and 3/8'' armaflex.
want thicker need to top up $$.

oo.. this is a very good comparison. any changes / updates on new models?

* now at pg 30... 50 more page to go. hehe.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.