DIY Enthusiast Discussion Thread - DIY AMPS, Custom Cables & More

SerSiTiv

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've come to fine a couple guys on HWZ who are really into customising their portable EQ and perhaps a little more. Portable AMPs, Custom Cables, DIY Amps and things to enhance our aural experience.

Hope the in-house contributors can continue to enhance this thread and of course share with one another how we can improve our sound.

imag0012wt.jpg

Canare 806 with Switchcraft 3.5mm Jacks

SerSiTiv

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Places to get your wares

Koba Electronics (S) Pte Ltd
101, Upper Cross Street #03-06
People's Park Centre
Singapore 058357
Tel: +65 65331672
Fax: +65 65324401

Last edited:

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe you can post guides to make DIY amps? :o
quite interested in that

madcap386

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Say say say....

My very first DIY amp is actually the CMOY...

A CMoy is a pocket headphone amplifier originally designed by Chu Moy on the headwize.com

Its relatively easy to built and sounds fantastic...

P1040559.jpg

P1040557.jpg

For those intesrested in DIY a CMOY amp... can read up on the following..

I did my by following a very comprehensive guide by Tangentsoft...

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

For those not very interested in the technical details can actually follow this excellent step by step article by William Neo, on building a Cmoy amp...

http://williamneo.blogspot.com/2008/01/diy-cmoy-headphone-amplifier-for.html

So any portable amp DIYer here in HWZ ? :o

Last edited:

SerSiTiv

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Actually I'm quite interested in making a Mini 3. But I wanna change the 3.5mm jacks to Neutrik jacks.

SiaoKau369

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thumps up to mod tat take the effort to make a sticky for this interest group! :)
Just to share a custom IEM cable for my UE SF5P...

ff3951df_2ljkqae.jpg

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm also interested in making my own amp but don noe where to start . Buying of stuffs would be at SLT i guess ?

For those PCB and opamp stuff , currently is asking my fren frm sound and lighting to take for me so i could save $ on those parts . Solder kit is also trying to take frm sch . Keke .

madcap386

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I'm quite interested in making a Mini 3. But I wanna change the 3.5mm jacks to Neutrik jacks.

Well.. for the mini 3, you gotch 2 options...

The first one you can follow strictly to the recommended method by AMB...

http://www.amb.org/audio/mini3/

Buy some parts from them.. then source the rest of the parts urself...

or....

you can route urself the PCB board... by using the reference schematic..

http://www.amb.org/audio/mini3/schematic.html

Its still pretty doable, if you self route using a proto PCB board.. but dun expect it to be the same size though.. :o

Also.. you can mod... customized the parts... so i guess you need the Neutrik jacks, so ownself DIY bah.. :o

Last edited:

madcap386

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm also interested in making my own amp but don noe where to start . Buying of stuffs would be at SLT i guess ?

For those PCB and opamp stuff , currently is asking my fren frm sound and lighting to take for me so i could save $ on those parts . Solder kit is also trying to take frm sch . Keke .

Hey... all parts is availible at SLT...

But at SLT, its slightly more difficult to find "Audio grade" components.. E-cap, wima polyester caps etc... so most of the time.. i order my parts thru Farnell or RSonline...

But lately i discovered there is a electronic shop at people's park centre selling audio grade parts..

You can go check it out..

its at level 03-06 "Koba electronics"

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey... all parts is availible at SLT...

But at SLT, its slightly more difficult to find "Audio grade" components.. E-cap, wima polyester caps etc... so most of the time.. i order my parts thru Farnell or RSonline...

But lately i discovered there is a electronic shop at people's park centre selling audio grade parts..

You can go check it out..

its at level 03-06 "Koba electronics"

Orh okay . Koba also gt online shop rite ? I rem at vrzone tis guy is tat time gt say where he ordered his parts frm .

madcap386

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Orh okay . Koba also gt online shop rite ? I rem at vrzone tis guy is tat time gt say where he ordered his parts frm .

Err.. this i dunno..

But usually i like to go there see see look look.. some times can find rare stuff and special discount if you buy alot.... :o

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Err.. this i dunno..

But usually i like to go there see see look look.. some times can find rare stuff and special discount if you buy alot.... :o

Is can go there and ask the SA to advise wat to buy ? They will carrot head one ?

madcap386

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is can go there and ask the SA to advise wat to buy ? They will carrot head one ?

Just prepare a part list there, and show it to the SA there will do...

Errr.. so far so good.. no kenna chopped yet... (have not ask for the tube amp stuff :p)

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.