Aztech powerline HL110EW weird issues, pls help..

mrblitz

Reaction score
I bought this Aztech Homeplug HL110EW and the pairing bundle HL110E, fix it up plug into my linksys n router, works perfectly till i went back to work on my pc, i noticed my internet connection becomes very unstable and sometimes totally unconnected at all. i cant even access my router on my pc is connected via LAN, not using wireless. So i tried to test a few things and got the following conclusions

1)Homeplug on, home wifi and homeplug wifi would work flawlessly, can surf and online wireless anywhere in the house.
2)Lan connected to pc becomes almost unusable.
3)cant even access my router on pc, but can access it on my wireless device and remain online.
3)Once homeplug is powered off, everything goes back to normal, lan connection becomes stable again.

This is very weird situation for me, is there any kind of special settings i need to do ? cos i dont see why the homeplug can somehow affect my LAN connection to the router. does any experts here have any insights or solution to this?

Appreciate for any help rendered....thank you

sidcyanid

Reaction score
Have you made any developments with this problem

I am having exactly the same issue. I have the HL110EW and HL110E everything works fine except the wired PC which loses internet connection. can’t get my head round it. I have the Linksys WAG160 n router and I am incline to think it is a configuration issue with the router

Any help would be appreciated

mrmazlan

Reaction score
I bought this Aztech Homeplug HL110EW and the pairing bundle HL110E, fix it up plug into my linksys n router, works perfectly till i went back to work on my pc, i noticed my internet connection becomes very unstable and sometimes totally unconnected at all. i cant even access my router on my pc is connected via LAN, not using wireless. So i tried to test a few things and got the following conclusions

1)Homeplug on, home wifi and homeplug wifi would work flawlessly, can surf and online wireless anywhere in the house.
2)Lan connected to pc becomes almost unusable.
3)cant even access my router on pc, but can access it on my wireless device and remain online.
3)Once homeplug is powered off, everything goes back to normal, lan connection becomes stable again.

This is very weird situation for me, is there any kind of special settings i need to do ? cos i dont see why the homeplug can somehow affect my LAN connection to the router. does any experts here have any insights or solution to this?

Appreciate for any help rendered....thank you

Hi,

I also just bought HL110EW Wireless N.
I had the same problem like you.

I wonder.. what is wrong here.
Shall we claim back our money ?

tromba

Reaction score
last known from my customer mention the hardware is giving problem for them.
understand frm a tech support guy from their helpline is to go down and change a new one...

but i do notice that the connection also giving out RF interference to my TV when i tested at home.
not sure it does that to u too..

dxboy

Honorary Member
Reaction score
how u connect your homeplug?

to a multi power tap?

how about try connecting it direct to the wall socket outlet?

chq16290

Reaction score
Well folks , I have exactly the same problem mentioned here - my LAN gets degraded to a point where it is unusable. Seems to me like a very untested product. I looked for new firmware but seems that as shipped I am on the latest. I'll give my local Aztech support a call, but my inclination is to demand my money back. Shame they can't give me back the twelve straight hours that I spent trying to figure this out.

molecule

Reaction score
go to the aztech support site and DOWNGRADE to 006 firmware if your homeplug comes with 008 firmware. It works wonders and now can run 24x7. I think the 008 firmware is really bad and not tested properly.

chq16290

Reaction score
UPDATE

I just finished talking to Aztech Singapore support and I really can't believe what I just heard. Apparently the HL110EW is built on a Linux base and as shipped is configured with a 192.168.1.1 IP address. This will conflict with at least 50% of home routers that use the 192.168.1.x subnet as a default configuration. At present there is no documentation on this and no way to change it. Aztech is documenting the problem and will post to the Singapore support web site. The only current solution is to move the LAN to another subnet (i.e. 192.168.0 or 192.168.2 etc.) by configuring the router.

If this is true - and I can't verify it until I get home - would someone from Aztech please tell me how a product shipped to retail with such a stupid and elementary design/development mistake.

Also, if anyone has a working HL110EW on a 192.168.1 subnet, please let me know.

I will post again once I have tested on a 192.168.2 subnet.

molecule

Reaction score
I had the same spill from aztech last week. But I dun think the person knows what he's talking abt, at least he can't explain it 100%. I've set router ip to 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.10, 192.168.x.1 etc. All works... For a while then problems set in.. If there's ip conflict it should fail immediately no? There must be some form of routing translation internally if it's hardcoded to 192.168.1.1 and needs to work with router set at 192.168.2.1. Anyway bottom line is... U can try but u will still hv yr intermittent disconnect probs.

I've surmised that it's not a wireless or ip add problem but a poweline adapter connecting to each other problem. Downgrading to 006 firmware solved all my problems

molecule

Reaction score
And yeah it is Linux. I wrote in another thread that if u set your router ip to 192.168.1.x (except .1) u can telnet into the 110EW at ip 192.168.1.1. Username - admin, passwd - admin

chq16290

Reaction score
2ND UPDATE

Thinking about things when I got home yesterday, I realised that the issue as described to me by Aztech support could not be 100% accurate. As described in my last post, the problem was suggested by Aztech support to be an IP address conflict with the HL110EW would only working with an 192.168.1.1 address. Well, this turned out not to be the case. But I have to say, I am still far from understanding the real issue here.

The work-around suggested by Aztech support was to move the LAN to another subnet. Now obviously if you change the LAN subnet and the powerline bridges are part of the LAN then the bridges have to change to the new subnet too. However, if they are fixed to 192.168.1.1 then how could this work?

The reported LAN degradation issue did very much look like an IP address conflict though - packets dropping randomly, and this suggested two possible routes to a solution:

1) change the IP Address of the Gateway Router (from 192.168.1.1 to some other IP on the 192.168.1.x subnet i.e. 192.168.1.99)

2) change the LAN subnet from 192.168.1.x to something else (i.e. 192.168.2.x)

As the support chap had definely mentioned subnets, I decided to give option 2 a try and moved the LAN to the 192.168.2.x subnet. And in search of confirmation of the fixed 192.168.1.1 addtess issue, If the HL110EW was indeed fixed to 192.168.1.1 then I would not be able to see it on the LAN without installing a static route between the two subnets. Howevever, not only could I see it, but EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECTLY. No more dropped packets. Interestingly, the HL110EW is not at 192.168.2.1 as this is now the address of the gateway router, but I also do not know what IP it has as it is not assigned from DHCP (or at least not reported by my DHCP log).

So what have I learned?

1. HL110EW/HL110E combo does not seem to work well on the 192.168.1 subnet (at least for me)
2. if the issue was an IP address conflict at 192.168.1.1 (as suggested by Aztech support) then a plausible work-around would have been to have relocated the router to another IP in the 192.168.1.x subnet

However, without a better understanding of how the HL110EW/HK110E products negotiate IP addresses, it is very difficult for me to understand really what is going on here. Clearly (for me) the fix was to move the LAN to a 192.168.2.x subnet. But why this works, I have no idea (yet).

I have tried calling Aztech support dozens of times this morning and all I get is voicemail. I'll keep trying and report back if I find out anything new as this issue is beginning to bug me.

And, lastly 'molecule' my HL110EW Firmare as shipped is the 006 version. I did not have to downgrade, but the problems I originaly experienced were against this version and not anything newer.

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very simple mah
The Homeplug need not be in the same subnet

It is simply a wired bridge.
Much like how you dont need to set an IP address to a dumb switch and yet it still works.

chq16290

Reaction score
Understood - You describe the basic functionality of an ethernet network layer-2 bridge. The WiFi Access Point (part of the HL110EW) however is an IP network device and will need an IP address. I presume that it is this IP address that is the cause of the problem.

molecule

Reaction score
And, lastly 'molecule' my HL110EW Firmare as shipped is the 006 version. I did not have to downgrade, but the problems I originaly experienced were against this version and not anything newer.

Good for u! mine was shipped with 008. Tried router at different subnet also cannot. Disconnect problems after some time, and i am quite sure it has nothing to do with IP address, more like a powerline issue. Maybe mine's a different issue from yrs.

Glad it's all past now, mine's been working as supposed to now.

Last edited:

Aztech HQ

Reaction score
2ND UPDATE

Thinking about things when I got home yesterday, I realised that the issue as described to me by Aztech support could not be 100% accurate. As described in my last post, the problem was suggested by Aztech support to be an IP address conflict with the HL110EW would only working with an 192.168.1.1 address. Well, this turned out not to be the case. But I have to say, I am still far from understanding the real issue here.

The work-around suggested by Aztech support was to move the LAN to another subnet. Now obviously if you change the LAN subnet and the powerline bridges are part of the LAN then the bridges have to change to the new subnet too. However, if they are fixed to 192.168.1.1 then how could this work?

The reported LAN degradation issue did very much look like an IP address conflict though - packets dropping randomly, and this suggested two possible routes to a solution:

1) change the IP Address of the Gateway Router (from 192.168.1.1 to some other IP on the 192.168.1.x subnet i.e. 192.168.1.99)

2) change the LAN subnet from 192.168.1.x to something else (i.e. 192.168.2.x)

As the support chap had definely mentioned subnets, I decided to give option 2 a try and moved the LAN to the 192.168.2.x subnet. And in search of confirmation of the fixed 192.168.1.1 addtess issue, If the HL110EW was indeed fixed to 192.168.1.1 then I would not be able to see it on the LAN without installing a static route between the two subnets. Howevever, not only could I see it, but EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECTLY. No more dropped packets. Interestingly, the HL110EW is not at 192.168.2.1 as this is now the address of the gateway router, but I also do not know what IP it has as it is not assigned from DHCP (or at least not reported by my DHCP log).

So what have I learned?

1. HL110EW/HL110E combo does not seem to work well on the 192.168.1 subnet (at least for me)
2. if the issue was an IP address conflict at 192.168.1.1 (as suggested by Aztech support) then a plausible work-around would have been to have relocated the router to another IP in the 192.168.1.x subnet

However, without a better understanding of how the HL110EW/HK110E products negotiate IP addresses, it is very difficult for me to understand really what is going on here. Clearly (for me) the fix was to move the LAN to a 192.168.2.x subnet. But why this works, I have no idea (yet).

I have tried calling Aztech support dozens of times this morning and all I get is voicemail. I'll keep trying and report back if I find out anything new as this issue is beginning to bug me.

Can you PM your number and I'll get in touch with you soon.

chinkt

Reaction score
I am unable to connect to laptop using the HL110EW and error showed "Limited Connectivity".
The PL-Act LEDs on the HL110E and HL110EW light up continuously.
Is this due to the firmware version or the IP address conflict. Router used is the 2WIRE (silver 2700) integrated router from Singnet.

mosasoma

Reaction score
after plugging in the hl110e and hl110ew. the modem router i was previously using : linksys wag160n cannot access the internet anymore. it keeps telling me that my interface is down when im in the administration panel. when i attempt to make it connect to the internet. it just doesnt connect

molecule

Reaction score
after plugging in the hl110e and hl110ew. the modem router i was previously using : linksys wag160n cannot access the internet anymore. it keeps telling me that my interface is down when im in the administration panel. when i attempt to make it connect to the internet. it just doesnt connect

Sounds like similar to chq16290 problem, read his solution

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.