Poly Students in NUS now, any tips on preparing for QET?

yoshi_fanboy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wonder if he has taken the test before even making that comment.

QET is not easy to pass that's all I can say.

DestroWave

Reaction score
wth. You seriously need to consider signing up for secondary school english remedial if QET poses a problem.

Don't be proud even if you skipped QET. Chances are you're one of the lucky ones that managed to get a C for GP. You can get an A but it's not because your English is good, it's because of the content.

I wonder if he has taken the test before even making that comment.

QET is not easy to pass that's all I can say.

Don't worry too much. Is see heng suay one.

If you suay suay fail, then take the 'bridging module'. It will not be included in your CAP computation. No worrries.

affa14

Reaction score
Qet got MCQ mah? As far as I can remember( I took it 4 years ago), there was only correcting mistakes and essay writing. The first section was quite easy only that the essay pt made me wanna puke. Something got to do with renewable energy in Singapore. Zzz. But lucky manages to pass with band 5. But I wonder why do they need us to write our English olevel n HP grade on the front page? Hmm..come to think of it that was the first exam in NUS :)

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Qet got MCQ mah? As far as I can remember( I took it 4 years ago), there was only correcting mistakes and essay writing. The first section was quite easy only that the essay pt made me wanna puke. Something got to do with renewable energy in Singapore. Zzz. But lucky manages to pass with band 5. But I wonder why do they need us to write our English olevel n HP grade on the front page? Hmm..come to think of it that was the first exam in NUS :)

sorry but what is HP?:(

adaptalis

Reaction score
I took it last year. Got a Band 5.

No MCQ, only correcting the mistakes and essay. Topic of my whole paper was on Media Violence.

Not much you can do to prepare, and like others said, its ok to take that additional English mod. In fact, the English mod actually helped some of my friends to score better in their essays in actual CAP-affecting modules.

Personally, i think for the essay, structure and content is very important. And its most likely a critical essay. Hence, you need to plan what to write before you start writing. And to clearly define the scope of your essay.

Its the usual tips for writing well in fact. So just take it easy and do your best. It will do your overall Uni experience better if they band you accordingly to your standard rather than you only write well this one off for QET.

All the best!

adaptalis

Reaction score
I can't remember exactly. But i don't recall i had a choice on that. It was like "What do you think?" kind. So die also must write about that.

Buaya_Hunter

Banned
Reaction score
How many essay topics are available to choose from?

During my time (2008), there is no choice of essay, unlike the ntu one (according to my friends in ntu). The essay is linked to the passage.

Typically, it will like this:

E.g Passage

(Singapore is 154th in press freedom ranking by . .......... People complain that there lack of media transparency in...... But according to xyz think tank group, the methodology used in the ranking is questionable..... Blah blah)

E.g Essay question (Usually is the type u will some ideas how to write one unless u don't read any news at all):

Is media transparency really important in today's singapore?

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
During my time (2008), there is no choice of essay, unlike the ntu one (according to my friends in ntu). The essay is linked to the passage.

Typically, it will like this:

E.g Passage

(Singapore is 154th in press freedom ranking by . .......... People complain that there lack of media transparency in...... But according to xyz think tank group, the methodology used in the ranking is questionable..... Blah blah)

E.g Essay question (Usually is the type u will some ideas how to write one unless u don't read any news at all):

Is media transparency really important in today's singapore?
:eek::eek::eek:

Ratix0

Master Member
Reaction score
I did QET last year, from what I know, you'll be doing some grammar editing and writing of an argumentative essay. For your essay do CLEARLY write out an outline, from what I know, they actually do look at your outline and give you marks for organization. Just remember to follow proper essay structures, keep arguments precise and conclusive, don't beat about the bush etc. Plan out the essay before writing.

My written english isn't that good, and I almost made it pass the mark(1 band below the passing band?). Ended up having to take EG1413, its nothing too hard though ,just a waste of time. If you bother to go for classes and do their assignments, you can't fail that module, though its just a waste of time.

LurV_1989

Reaction score
Haha!! I also received the same email from CELC!!

OMG the sample paper.. Essay leh!! :s27:

Looks tough on first glance.. :s13:

babyblue

Reaction score
read story books and newspaper to prepare for qet. surf hwz also can help u prepare qet :eek:

no need be scare of qet la just do it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.