Surge Protector

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
I used to switch off my PC when I go out. But now, I want to leave it on. Do I need a surge protector ?

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I use surge protectors on all electrical stuffs over $100 in my house.

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
Do I buy those power bar with surge protector or a multipoint mains adapter type ? Which is better ?

Any particular brand to recommend ?

Thanks again

aCuria

Reaction score
Do I buy those power bar with surge protector or a multipoint mains adapter type ? Which is better ?

Any particular brand to recommend ?

Thanks again

Try belkin. They come with insurance for your appliances, and protect against the highest surge spike among those i have seen.

A good UPS can also double as a surge protector. A low capacity one is enough for this purpose

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think about it.

How come your circuitbreaker and fusebox is not good enough to prevent power surge? The most important thing is to have a new modern design fusebox and circuitbreaker at the mainboard that meets or exceeds current safety standards.

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/Dispatcher?REQUEST=PRODUCTS&id=**-qafci

Having said that, Belkin strips are not much more expensive than other strips, so no harm getting them, but for real protection, better get good circuitbreaker.

The reason is simple, Belkin strip doesn't protect your internal house wiring from power surge. If the power surge melts your internal house wiring, the cost of hacking the walls and replacing the wiring is going to be scary.

westom

Reaction score
Do I need a surge protector ?
You can immediately identify those who only repeat what they are told to believe. Who never ask questions. Who do not even know what the product does.

How does a 2 cm part inside that Belkin or APC stop what three miles of sky could not? It does not. How do its hundreds of joules absorb destructive surges that are hundreds of thousands of joules? It does not. Why do its numeric specs not even list protection from each type of surge? It is sold to people who automatically believe what they are told. Never ask why. Never demand numbers. Only believe the first thing they are told. Can also be sold the Brooklyn Bridge.

Surge protection has worked and been well proven even 100 years ago. Would earth direct lightning strikes so that operators never remove headsets and leave the room. And then is a scam that does not even claim surge protection in its numeric specs. Take a $3 power strip. Add some ten cent protector parts. Sell it for $25 or $150. Many will recommend the same protector selling for $150 only because it costs more money.

Your telco's switching computer in every CO is connected to overhead wires all over town. Suffers about 100 surges with each thunderstorm. Money is never wasted on scam protectors such as the Belkin or APC. Instead telcos use vastly cheaper protectors that earth even direct lightning strikes ... and remain functional.

Remember, if Belkin, et al grossly undersizes a protector. then the protector will completely fail - provide zero protection. That failure gets the most naive to recommend it. Effective protectors for every home earth direct lightning strikes – and remain functional.

Serious protection already exists inside every appliance. A surge too small to harm any appliances can destroy a scam protector. That failure promotes sales – especially among consumers who are not thinking. Effective protectors for much less money remain functional.

Your concern is a rare surge that typically occurs once every seven years. That surge can overwhelm protection inside appliances. That surge cannot be stopped, blocked, or absorbed by an adjacent protector. The effective solution was even patented over 100 years ago. Used in every telco CO, munitions dumps, and commercial broadcasting station so that numerous direct lightning strikes cause no damage. That same protector is installed in every house for about $1 per protected appliance. And is sold by far more responsible companies such as General Electric, Siemens, Square D, Polyphaser, ABB, Intermatic, and Leviton - to name but a few responsible companies. An effective Cutler-Hammer solution sells in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50.

No, you still do not have surge protection. Those are only protectors. What Belkin and APC hope you never learn: a protector and protection are two completely different items. 'Whole house' protectors from responsible companies have the always required and dedicated wire to earth. A wire that must be short (ie 'less than 10 meters). Not just to any ground; single point earth ground. The protector connect destructive surges harmlessly to the only thing that does protection – single point eareth ground.

Belkin, APC, and the master of all scams (Monster) will not discuss earth ground. If they did, you would never buy their products. And you would spend less money. Effective protectors earth direct lightning strikes without damage. Even the protector remains functional. But again, technology well proven and repeatedly demonstrated for over 100 years. Not a plug-in scam sold on retail myths.

You should have numerous questions. Especially if you were taken by Belkin, et al retail myths. This old and well proven technology is virtually unknown to an overwhelming majority educated only by retail advertising. Effective protection even from direct lightning strikes uses a protector that costs about $1 per protected appliance.

Coolman

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I hope we are not going into too much electronic in this forum, somehow i can't really relate a surger protector and leaving home pc on.
Some people use for the sake of using for a peace of mind, it is ok but it help to know a little also.

1)you connect all surge protector for all electrical applicances/electrical points?
2)Rarely we have lighting issue cause big issue here, in fact, protector can't really protect it lighting splike through your mains. http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/surge_protector.html

To relate to pc what it mean, http://www.ez-max.net/en/view_new.asp?id=209&cid=16

2)How surge normal happen, when an components share on the same line. http://www.techterms.com/definition/surgeprotector
This is common for those multi sockets ,a sudden on one components or sudden on of all if no individual on/off switch.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/surge-protector.htm.

But it don't relate to leaving home with pc on, to me. For me, i use a good psu cause it equip with necessary protection to shut down the pc to prevent it in case burnt.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply
Spend money go get a good psu, i leave my pc on ever up to 28days without off, no crash no reboot and i normally leave it on for a least 10days before shutting down for 1/2 days for its break. Now my pc is running to 3 weeks till this monday and will then shut down cause i be on business oversea trip then.

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Fierce, but a good post, it said what people don't know or are too lazy to say or to find out.

Sometimes I wonder if the transient filter in computer PSUs are already enough to make buying surge protectors such as the Belkin one moot.

Coolman

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, that why i feel no necessary to talk into deep electronics details in this forum.
Surge normally happen when you turn on an equipment not when we are leaving home with pc on.

bendwolf

Master Member
Reaction score
I am no electrician but I think the article over emphasize on lightning strikes. I don't think that covers all surges scenarios that can include blackouts and its restoration.

wtfh4x

Master Member
Reaction score
Go ahead get a belkin one. They will replace the stuff damaged by surge up to 10k iirc.

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
The reason why I'm asking this question is that I want to leave the computer in sleep mode so that it can wake up to record TV programs.

duckling

Master Member
Reaction score
I leave my PC on almost daily, maybe off once or twice a week, so far so good without surge protector...but I guess it's always good to have one, maybe I should get one soon. :D

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Other than the lightning part.

If your appliance short circuit, without using surge protector, your house main circuit breaker might tripped, fuse blown or if old circuit breaker, might even cause damage to other appliances.

By plugging your appliance on the surge protector, the damage will just stop at the multisocket strip surge protector.

Coolman

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is a long assay about lighting surge, i think lighting surge is bit differnet from surge itself.
Power from pub to the hdb(for example)till the home circuit breaker(coming in) which is being taken care of by them, let talk about the surge in the home itself.

Surge is not high current but a rush of current, when an equipment suddenly turn on or shut down it may create a interfernce next to the other when it is already on state on the same line let say a mutli-extension cord.
Just example,
1)when pub service your block for electrical maintanenae and shut down for 2 hours, they also request people to remove the power cord if possible cause when the block power turn on they may afraid of power surge.
2)when factory power failure, the normal procedure is to turn off all the power to prevent surge when power recover.
Though both are unlike to happen, is just a caution against surge current.

I not against using surge protector , i got 1 myself since it just a couple of dollar different but i just don't ready bother about the insurence it claim to cover.A lot of my customer in semiconduct don't really use surge protector extension cord even.
My point is if one fine day your psu catch fire(when no one at home) due to heat is not due to whether you using surge protector or not, it is because the poor low grade psu not able to shut down itself due to overheat.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.