Poly Students in NUS now, any tips on preparing for QET?

Munchies

Reaction score
Can't just qoute the source by saying Source A/B/C or Article A/B/C like last time secondary school source based qn? =X

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
seriously i have no idea what qet means by citing sources. I think a simply according to so and so article by so so and person in ur main text should be sufficent. If they require proper citation/footnotes/endnots/in-text citations using turabian, asa, apa, i think that is too much

Munchies

Reaction score
Wah like that must memorise the reference style !@#$%!!! If not my reference page become rojak. I think I will write.. Boyd (2007) reiterates da da da...

DestroWave

Reaction score
seriously i have no idea what qet means by citing sources. I think a simply according to so and so article by so so and person in ur main text should be sufficent. If they require proper citation/footnotes/endnots/in-text citations using turabian, asa, apa, i think that is too much

X2.

Writing out citations simply take too much work. They have better things to test. For a written paper, get your grammar and structure correct first. You're there for QET, not some citation test.

Last edited:

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
in short when u refer to an article, just write the authors name/article name in the main text

LurV_1989

Reaction score
in short when u refer to an article, just write the authors name/article name in the main text

I suppose so too.. Coz its quite weird to put end of text citations in hand-written work (not to say its impossible, but just plain weird).. :s22:

LurV_1989

Reaction score
X2.

Writing out citations simply take too much work. They have better things to test. For a written paper, get your grammar and structure correct first. You're there for QET, not some citation test.

Agreed.. It just does not make sense banding a student with better citation but poor grammar and structure higher than a student with better grammar and structure but poorer citation..

Not to say that citation is not important, but I feel that this can be taught.. Not to mention that there are actually many legal ways to cite.. :s8:

But teaching grammar and structure at University level may require more effort, both on the part of the University as well as the student..:look:

Buaya_Hunter

Banned
Reaction score
Wah like that must memorise the reference style !@#$%!!! If not my reference page become rojak. I think I will write.. Boyd (2007) reiterates da da da...

Er..., QET expects you to write something like a response essay with the passage and perhaps your own general knowledge as your sources, not a well-researched and vetted full thesis

So, it is more like expecting you to write a sec sch/gp type of essay

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
isnt QET an argumentative essay? with the sources given so that u can support ur ideas if u cant think of any?

how come citation oso come out? :eek:

digiMAX

Reaction score
isnt QET an argumentative essay? with the sources given so that u can support ur ideas if u cant think of any?

You have to use citation whenever you refer to the source texts, I guess.

The_Davis

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

i think it means not to fabricate and use your imagination as sources

digiMAX

Reaction score
So the "in-text" style of citation is definitely a must.. I'm just thinking if we are even expected to write references after the essay? (ie "cut and paste" the references of the source texts)

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so how do we cite a source? can i have a simple e.g? thanks!

kao.....

If you refer to source A

Just write this in your main text, according to the source A or according to the author of source a....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.