(FAQ) For Blackberries. Please read this before asking.

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

This is a website for most of the frequently asked Blackberry Questions and Tips.

Please do not abuse it as it is running on a limited resource server, hosted by waiteck and ahboyboi.

This is provided as a contribution without any advertisements.

Do say thanks if it helps.

Code:
www.tezychips.co.cc

tezychips.png

^scan this with you blackberry to access on the go.
For OS5 and above, fire up your barcode scan app (if u have) or Blackberry messenger (go to invite contact and scan barcode) and scan away!
For below OS5, get a barcode app! Its free. :)

Last edited:

silv3r

Reaction score
Upz for this :D

Very useful resource, especially for new users. Many of the questions on how to set up or choose a blackberry are answered here.

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why you should not use BBOM on Blackberry:
Code:
http://tezychips.co.cc/wordpress/?page_id=68

About BBOM

BBOM is the short form for Broadband on mobile. It may come in different variations from the different telcos. It essentially provides your device with the capability to go online, and can cover plenty of bundled data from 1GB to unlimited.

When BBOM is used on Blackberry phones, you can use it to go online and use certain online 3rd party apps. However, you can’t use the email client or official Blackberry services. This is because such services fall under the umbrella of “Official RIM Developed Applications”.

Emails and official Blackberry apps are routed through the official Blackberry Servers and handled securely to your device. BBOM on the other hand, routes directly to the host servers and through the telco’s airwaves only. As such, Blackberry devices cannot receive emails into their main inbox via BBOM, but can do so via BIS or BES.

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Appworld & Apps

Code:
http://tezychips.co.cc/wordpress/?page_id=28

You will need an active BIS or BES service to access the App World.

OTA – also known as “Over the air” – It is usually a link ending with “.jad”
Via App world – search for the application that you want and click install! That’s it!
DM/offline install – It comes with a “.alx” file and usually a handful of “.cod” files.

To delete apps:
If you have installed it via the App world, it is recommended to go to the App World, select “my world” from the Blackberry Menu and the highlighting the App, select uninstall from the Blackberry Menu. It will proceed to uninstall. However, it may still appear on the screen as a faded icon. You may delete it by clearing the cache as shown above.

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Important details for BIS, non-BIS users on Blackberry.
About your networks
Code:
http://tezychips.co.cc/wordpress/?page_id=62

For NON-BIS users (BBOM[aka iphone plans]/normal data plan):

* You cannot receive and/or send emails using the Blackberry client.
* You cannot use any official blackberry apps.
* You can use apps that do not require internet connection
* You can surf the internet (using the BBOM or WIFI)
* You can use normal phone services (eg. call or sms)
* (Users reported) You can use 3rd party apps that allows wifi.

How do I know if my BIS is activated?
If your SIM card is placed in you device already, you should receive a message saying "Your device has been registered with the wireless network!". If its not, please call your respective telco's to check.

For Singtel BIS 1GB users or any Singtel BIS users.
st-bis.jpg

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Upgrade/downgrade OS and tips on how to do it:

Code:
http://tezychips.co.cc/wordpress/?page_id=40

1) Download the OS you want for your device

Official OS download sites
Select the telco you are from.

2) Make sure you have Desktop manager (aka DM) installed. Having the latest version is usually good.

3) Back up your device.

4) Install the OS you downloaded from (1)

5) Delete the vendor.xml file.

It can be found in:
C:/ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Apploader

OR

C:\ProgramFiles(*86)/CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Apploader

6) Plug in your device and follow the prompts to upgrade your OS. Always make sure “third party apps is checked”

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FAQ - Getting started with Blackberry
Difference between overseas and local sets? Warranty claimed sets?
Reset/wipe your device?

Code:
http://tezychips.co.cc/wordpress/?cat=4

The very question many people would ask when they want to buy a blackberry would be what is an export set and what is an local set? Is there any difference at all??

On the contrary, there is NO difference. In terms of hardware and etc, no there is not.

Export set are essentially devices purchased overseas, especially in the USA. It usually comes at a cheaper price and models such as the tour 9630 which was not launched here, in Singapore, are available there. So, it is brought here for sale as “export set”.

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bluetooth in Blackberry.

Code:
http://tezychips.co.cc/?p=142

Many of us, especially new blackberry users, are confronted by this issue: cannot send file.

For blackberry, whether for a one time file transfer, pairing up your handsfree, or anything to do with bluetooth, YOU HAVE to pair the device to your phone.

Last edited:

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The default browser - different browsing modes and settings

Code:
http://tezychips.co.cc/?page_id=231

The default blackberry browser comes with some features (in browser, press blackberry menu and select options)

Browser Configurations
Cache operations
Gears

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New tip for the day! For those facing the problem of needing to put "+65" infront of ur contacts no for name to appear in sms yet cannot have "+65" in front when got calls, the solution is:

Go to options -> phone options -> smart dialing. Make sure it is set to Singapore!

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Another notion:
If u have an existing data plan, and add on bis to it, it is still usable!! Some of u will be on multi-sim, where u can use the same line on a few sim cards/devices.
With bis and ur existing data plan, u still can use!

Ur blackberry usage (when using on bb), will be charged to bis. If u exceed on ur blackberry, the data plan u have will cover the additional data.
Ur other devices (ie, iphone, nokia, htc and etc..) Will be charged to the data plan that is existing. If u exceed, you will have to pay additional charges till the respective telco's price cap (If any)

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just some general info:
Blackberry generally uses relatively pretty little bandwidth for internet compared to other smartphones.

First and foremost, emails are compressed down before being pushed.
There isn't a lot of online apps (relatively)

My consumption peaked 426mb last month. This is a breakdown off roughly what I have done:
16-20/7 of msn, gtalk, ytalk, im+
24/7 whatsapp
Surfing of about 4-8 hours a day to sites such as hardwarezone, facebook, vrzone, and a couple of rather heavy websites.
Upload of about 5-7 pictures to facebook (via fb app) a day
Wordpress about 1 post aday with average of 2-3 picture uploads.
Emails of about 20k+ (since each of my message [sms] is backed up individually as an email as well)
Emailing (download/upload) about 2-3 pictures.
Downloaded and updated apps about 30 times (about 300kb-1.2mb)
Install new themes everyday (about 5/day) (about 500-1.6mb) [for one week for my last bill statement]

I don't tether nor stream videos though.
I guess this month my data usage will hit a new peak with the constant buying and trying of new themes, but as u can see, its pretty low. =)

TheWizzy

Reaction score
I have BB, but my sim card has no data plan at all (no bbom + no BIS) I just want to use the phone as the phone + some internet connection only thru WIFI, is it possible to get it work that way?

Somehow I noticed that when I on the BB it always show me GPRS word on the top right hand corner, and i'm worried i will get charged for that...

crappycrabby

Reaction score
I have BB, but my sim card has no data plan at all (no bbom + no BIS) I just want to use the phone as the phone + some internet connection only thru WIFI, is it possible to get it work that way?

Somehow I noticed that when I on the BB it always show me GPRS word on the top right hand corner, and i'm worried i will get charged for that...

If you're worried, u can turn off data services by: "Manage connections" -> "Mobile network options" -> "Data services" -> "off"

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@verloren.
Yes you can. But whatever data used on a non-blackberry device will be chargable at normal data rates and will not be covered under any of ur bis data bundle.

MasterZZ

Reaction score
Hi, my girlfriend's bb is having sms display problems. The display for contact is there but somehow the timeline for the smses are in a way that it pushes all the recieved smses up. Is there any way to change it back to the original recieve and sent display?

xtramadness

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there.
Can please give more detail? Do you mean latest messages all the way on the top or?

MasterZZ

Reaction score
Her sms displays shows in a way that

[Recepient Msgs]
[Sender Msgs.]

when a new sms comes it becomes

[Recepient Msgs]
[New Recepient Msg]
[Sender Msgs.]

The new recieved sms would not be in a threaded sms view.

Thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.