View Single Post
Old 17-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #44
Calblee

Talking

My humble 2 cents worth from my last 15 trips to Perth, WA.

Rent from Bayswater (No birds. haha) - Cheapest and most value for money. Their entire fleet is Toyota Corolla or Yaris-equivalent. But book in advance for better rates and availability. The entire fleet of cars were booked out on my last trip in Dec 2009 during X'mas.

Rent from M2000 - 2nd cheapest and the chain is being run by an asian family who hires a lot of asian students. Easy to communicate. I paid more for a 2 litre Kia Cerato (Black) new car to avoid all the unnecessary hassle of breakdown. 2nd driver with a car mileage of 1200 km clocked when i rented it.

Driving in WA is very enjoyable. Petrol is not as expensive, drivers are very courteous and safe, roads for excellent for straight-line warriors. A lot of pitstops along the way.

I drove to Busselton, rented a place and basically camped out from my base to every part of the southern WA for the next 7 days. Busselton - all the wineries and nearby places/off the road beaches and etc.

To be safe, it is also good to have a GPS and a comprehensive car insurance to protect yourself. Rent a GPS if you need one. Otherwise, just buy 1 from the megamall for AUD105. I think the aussie brand is called Tomtom.

Interesting bit - On the way back, i made a wrong turn off the highway back to Perth and took a very freaking long winding road back via the countryside. Turned out to be a really beautiful and quiet drive between my OC and I. Accidentally passed by the Harvey Orange orchards and farms too.

Drive safe and don't bring the singaporean attitude to aussie!

Calblee is offline   Reply With Quote