Car rental in Perth, Western Australia

KeKeLaRz

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
taxi is expensive in perth.

from my place to airport is about 50aud.

there is weekend surchage, late night surcharge too

cj-perth

Reaction score
are u sure u r a perthite? dun bruff chewren lah, dun pretend u dunno where sydney is...
Ridgy Didge Sandgroper [Sandgroper = West Australian] ... and from our point of view:

western-australia-tourism-aussie-jokes-australia.jpg

http://www.gondwananet.com/images/western-australia-tourism-aussie-jokes-australia.jpg

enrell69

Reaction score
dun worry, the corolla hatchbacks are chio looking and they look quite new too.. they seem to be steady as well.. yeaps and not just margaret river, visit augusta, pemberton and albany (if u have the time since it's quite far away at the southern tip of WA).
tanx for the advice..will have to discuss wif my mum on the itinerary..

cj-perth

Reaction score
taxi costs at airport

tanx for the advice..will have to discuss wif my mum on the itinerary..

Just been thinking through the recent discussion thats come up re charges the cabs are making from the airport - which as quoted by a couple of members here, have been WAY above the recommended rates. There is a surcharge for after hours etc - but even so .... are they charging for being a tourist!!!
Other ways into the city (perth) are not so attractive - eg. airport shuttle bus, if there's two or more of you its probably better to get a cab.

What I came up with - have a look at the wotif.com site [http://www.wotif.com/hotels/australia-perth-airport-shuttle-hotels.html]
which seems to include hotels in Perth which have a 'free' collect and drop-off service. May be you can work out what hotels are offering this service, and even if you book a hotel through another booking company you might enquire whether they will pick you up. Just a thought.

acecaltex

Reaction score
car rental advice in Perth

Chanced upon this thread, i've been a student living in perth for 3 years - Murdoch Uni, been back a couple of times since then.. Bayswater is still the better option that balances between price, having a fairly new car usually <1year old, easy to pick up and drop off, and as some of members here have said, they are not picky over scratches etc. i've always used them with no issues. Not sure about the major charges for cracked windscreen etc, I probably wil read the fine print closer the next time i use them. But then again, there is excess that covers these things anyway.

What they don't have is, for you to pick up the car at the airport. so What i usually do, is to be book the car in advance - can be done online from their website.. when I touch down at the airport, I'll take a cab directly to their offices. If it's at night, I'll book a hotel in Fremantle and walk to the Fremantle office in the morning to pick up the car. You can drop off the car at the airport when u depart.

alternatively, check into the hotel or B&B first, get a yellow pages or weekend newspapers and check the classifieds. there might be smaller and cheaper rentals in the city area, but some may not allow you to driven beyond Margaret River.. so check details.

acecaltex

Reaction score
We are a group of five adults. Do they have maxi cabs which would fit us all including luggage? Easy to find past midnight??

-----
This message is sent from HWZ forums iPhone app

Hi, their taxis are usually the big Ford Falcons or Holden Commodores, quite a few are stationwagons. so, i'm sure they can fit your luggage in, or pass you down the taxi queue to one who can. yes, no night life in perth, so taxis will queue at the airport, no worries there.

makopolo

Reaction score
I'm going for self drive from Perth to Exmouth, any reco for 6 seaters SUV or 4WD offer during Dec ?

dibromoethene

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody faced bad experiences with europcar / redspot/ budget. If you dig enough u'll find that the oz car rental business is pretty shady. I'm going to rent a car there soon but i'm getting quite put off by the feedback.

I've looked around in tripadvisor perth forums / google / productreview.com.au and it appears that there are lots of negative feedback about these 3 renters...

In fact one of the poster was a singaporean and he was apparently charged by budget for windscreen crack that was not there.

"“ Beware!! Budget Car Rental @ Perth Airport ”
Sep 27, 2008, 6:16 AM
If you use Budget Car Rental in Perth, be very careful the next time you drop off your vehicle for return at the parking lot in the airport.

If you can, make sure you take a photograph or ensure the staff personally checks the vehicle so they can verify that there are no damages.

On my recent trip to Perth from Singapore, upon arrival and proceeding to the airport counter, the staff persuaded me to sign the excess reduction package, lowering the excess charge to AUD 330 in an event of any damages incurred during the rental period.

Upon returning the vehicle, I requested for the staff to do a thorough check on the vehicle. The staff however insisted that it was not necessary and told me to just park the vehicle in the parking lot.

Almost a month after returning to Singapore, I received a letter from Budget to inform me that they have charged an amount of AUD 330 to my credit card due to a cracked windscreen. This letter really shocked me as the car was in perfect condition when we returned it.

Being dissatisfied, I emailed to the Manager of Budget Car Rental and asked for evidence of this damage. A week later, I received pictures of the cracked windscreen. My God! There was a huge crack in the centre of the windscreen which definitely could not have been caused by a falling stone but rather was intentionally done.

Upon scrutinizing the receipt further, I also realized that the fuel was 0/8 upon return of the car. This cannot be possible as I topped up the fuel tank before returning the car. When I called the Manager in Perth to highlight this petrol issue, they just brushed me off and said that, “It’s ok as we didn’t charge you for the empty tank.”

This raised my suspicions even further that their staff could have taken the car for a spin and intentionally caused the severe crack in the windscreen.

I emailed a letter of complaint to Budget but they told me that nothing could be done due to the signed rental agreement. I raised a charge dispute with my card company but this was declined by Budget as well.

Having gone through such an ordeal, I would strongly warn any travelers to Perth to beware of this scam. This is extremely dishonest and it has changed my impression of the rental company completely.

As a result, I have totally lost my trust and confidence in Budget Car Rentals. It took the edge off an otherwise wonderful trip down under to Western Australia."

“ Avoid Europcar Car Rental ”
May 11, 2009, 7:02 AM
I have just returned home to find a charge of £2055 on my credit card following a rental for a "25mm dent" which we did not create. Please be aware of this ongoing fraud by this company if you are considering renting a car with them, which has been previously reported on this forum.

I am disputing this with the Company/to anyone else who will listen (!) and will update this forum with any news.

a2468
Written on:
October 26, 2009 Pros: Nothing

Cons: Insurance scam, very bad customer service

Overall: We hired a car for a weekend in Sydney, and upon return were told that there was new damage to the car. The suspicious part was the lady inspecting the car went straight to the new damage, as if she already knew it was there and not on the report. They then kept the $1000 excess held on our credit card, and offered a refund of the difference once the repair had been completed - 3 months on and still no repair, so they still have all our money. They sent us a photo proving the apparent damage, dated 2 years before we even hired the car!! We have no doubt they'll never repair the damage (which by the way was a very shallow dent the size of a 20c piece), and therefore keep our $1000. We'll be going to the office of fair trading on this one - they are running a scam, whatever you do DO NOT HIRE A CAR FROM RED SPOT CAR RENTALS! While I have to give them a rating of 1, they deserve a minus 5.

chimpchimp

Reaction score
u don't have to worry. i was like u, i read some several negative comments about car rental companies so i was like a bit worried. i personally rented frm redspot before and i;ve never encountered any problems. i got the car muddy but nth happened. i suggest u take photos of the car when u just collect the car and then when u return it, and if the owner finds anything to make u take the blame for any broken parts, u can just show him the photos that u took.

nancy121

Reaction score
# # Car rental in Perth, Western Australia # www.hardwarezone.com.sg RSS Feed

If you are looking for car rental in Australia then you may refer australiarentcar.com.
It is offering economical and affordable car hire services. You can select a suitable car based on your budget and number of persons as a wide range of cars is available........Hope you will be able to find one that suits your needs.......

worldtraveller

Reaction score
I rented from Budget and M2000 in Perth on family holiday and no problem whatsoever. Will recommend M2000 compared to Budget for better rates and car. But M2000 has no outlet at the airport, not for you if you feel more secure better speaking to a human, whereas Budget has a reception who can assist you.

nashrul91

Reaction score
does anyone know if any car renter rent to someone age 20? i see most of the company only rents to drivers at least age of 21. so suay.

avexdevil

Reaction score
it's the law, not a business decision; you gonna be hard done by trying to find a company willing to break the law.

Frederick84

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
find a older ppl with licence to tag along lo.. my gf tat time 23 yr old can apply but cos younger then 25 yr old.. we need to pay abt AUD$200 extra i tink.. cant remb.. thing is my gf is driving in sg for 5 yrs le since 18..

nashrul91

Reaction score
it's the law, not a business decision; you gonna be hard done by trying to find a company willing to break the law.

so do u have any company that does that? will be troublesome for me travelling by public transport. hmm...

nashrul91

Reaction score
find a older ppl with licence to tag along lo.. my gf tat time 23 yr old can apply but cos younger then 25 yr old.. we need to pay abt AUD$200 extra i tink.. cant remb.. thing is my gf is driving in sg for 5 yrs le since 18..

the youngest to rent a car is 21... but im 20 at the point of time.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.