NUS Real Estate

ertttttttt

Reaction score
DD

Hey guys,

I've already been accepted into RE. Just wondering from the seniors, do you guys knw anyone who is taking the Ad-Hoc DD Prog btw RE n Biz? If yes, are they like DYING or doing quite all right... Oh oh and for RE in general, how is the work load compared to say Biz courses and what is the First/2nd Upp honours rate like?

juni1991

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've already been accepted into RE. Just wondering from the seniors, do you guys knw anyone who is taking the Ad-Hoc DD Prog btw RE n Biz? If yes, are they like DYING or doing quite all right... Oh oh and for RE in general, how is the work load compared to say Biz courses and what is the First/2nd Upp honours rate like?
WAH CONGRATULATIONS.
I went for the interview today and oh boy I had a tough time. One of the interviewer kept putting me on a spot. I almost cried. I already got my rejection letter from SMU and I really hope I get into RE. My grades are ACD/A

anyway to ertttttttt, when did you go for the interview?

ertttttttt

Reaction score
WAH CONGRATULATIONS.
I went for the interview today and oh boy I had a tough time. One of the interviewer kept putting me on a spot. I almost cried. I already got my rejection letter from SMU and I really hope I get into RE. My grades are ACD/A

anyway to ertttttttt, when did you go for the interview?

No interview... My grades are pretty decent, 4 h2 A, GP B, H3 Dist. I'm actually already matriculated in SMU DD programme but I m considering of switching to NUS RE coz of their DD with sch of Biz, tempting....

wadever1990

Reaction score
I got accepted into real estate and i have a few questions that i would like to ask.

Is the QET test compulsory of all poly ppl?

Are the modules more of calculations or theory?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

mythicocean

Reaction score
I got accepted into real estate and i have a few questions that i would like to ask.

Is the QET test compulsory of all poly ppl?

Are the modules more of calculations or theory?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

YES QET is compulsory for all poly people.

It depends on which specialization you are choosing to undertake. Urban planning is theory. For Valuation its a mixture and for Finance its more calculations.

Any other queries?

mythicocean

Reaction score
No interview... My grades are pretty decent, 4 h2 A, GP B, H3 Dist. I'm actually already matriculated in SMU DD programme but I m considering of switching to NUS RE coz of their DD with sch of Biz, tempting....

In my personal opinion, just stay with SMU DD Program. Because if you do make the switch, you will always regret making the switch. You will always wonder what if I have stayed at SMU instead. It's always the case.

Or at least that's what happened to me last time haha.

wadever1990

Reaction score
YES QET is compulsory for all poly people.

It depends on which specialization you are choosing to undertake. Urban planning is theory. For Valuation its a mixture and for Finance its more calculations.

Any other queries?

oh ok Thanks! So we choose the specialization from sem 1? or year 2?

mythicocean

Reaction score
oh ok Thanks! So we choose the specialization from sem 1? or year 2?

Specialization does not set in so early. In the first and second year, you are still clearing the breadth and other core modules allocated to you.

Under the new specialization scheme, they did not state when it will take place.

wadever1990

Reaction score
Specialization does not set in so early. In the first and second year, you are still clearing the breadth and other core modules allocated to you.

Under the new specialization scheme, they did not state when it will take place.

oh ok. Are there modules that require drawings? coz i cant draw. lol

mythicocean

Reaction score
None of RE modules require you to draw.

It is Real Estate not Architecture. So don't worry about drawing stuff.

hatecrew

Reaction score
Hi all. I got accepted into RE last year when I applied. Will be in the 2011 batch 'cause I ORD at the end of this year. Just wondering, how's student life in the programme?

Also, is it difficult to cope? Bit worried about pursuing tertiary education locally due to the stigma that it is way more difficult to do well here than overseas. I'm also quite concerned as I don't know anyone who have been in, or who are entering RE, so I do not know much about this course.

Thanks for the help

mythicocean

Reaction score
Hi all. I got accepted into RE last year when I applied. Will be in the 2011 batch 'cause I ORD at the end of this year. Just wondering, how's student life in the programme?

Also, is it difficult to cope? Bit worried about pursuing tertiary education locally due to the stigma that it is way more difficult to do well here than overseas. I'm also quite concerned as I don't know anyone who have been in, or who are entering RE, so I do not know much about this course.

Thanks for the help

Are you from JC or Poly?

There has been some new restructuring to the RE program for the new freshman batch so it should be much better for the newer batch.

Every course has its own pros and cons. As to whether it is difficult to cope, really depends on your attitude towards the course. If you are worried about the stigma and you are financially well off, then you should pursue an overseas education instead.

In NUS every course is very competitive, if you want to do well, you have to work hard from the beginning, because as you go higher, it will be harder to improve your CAP.

You can find out more about the course from NUS SDE website (under the RE department).

wadever1990

Reaction score
May i know how to check the amount of credit exemptions? Because i know that poly students that enter NUS will have some credit exemptions. Thanks!

leej0064

Reaction score
hi there.... can u pls guide me regarding on my decision...

lol.. Yr4 Real Estate here.. graduating liao...

NUS RE is picking up.. contrary to what previous posters have said the job scope is pretty wide..

Govt is one avenue.. URA and IRAS *property tax* and HDB are the main hirers

But from a rough survey this sem.. there are alot of private sector jobs available..

Developers : KeppelLand , CapitaLand, CDL i.e i.e... MA Programs for these are sought after and they look out for RE grads due to the knowledge

Finance sector : banks are hiring RE grads also.. cause property is an investment class.. there are a few graduates who have gotten jobs in the fund management sector and into banks.. starting pays for these are above market.. think 3k n above

Property Consultancies: Jones Lang , Knight Frank.. these firms ONLY hire Real Estate Graduates first.. and if they cannot find suitable.. they go 2nd choice Marketing students..Pay range is good also..

So Real Estate is picking up in terms of its competitive advantage.. only thing is the entry barriers are still catching up with Business Fact.

My advice? : i guess its up to your enthusiasm on how you explain why u feel the Real estate industry is suited for u.. lol.. the rest if up to them to decide.. but grades are not the most important.. i mean i got in with A levels C C C in 06.. lol

I am a civil engineering student grad from ntu with a 2nd lower.... currently in DSTA. I would like to do a switch and will be entering JTC for the below stated post:

Senior officer (entry level)
Deputy Manager/Assistant Manager (with exp)

(Cluster Development)

You will plan, develop and market premium industrial facilities to meet the needs of various industries, such as chemical, electronics etc. You will manage customer leases and provide support to our customers’ operations within these facilities. You will foster partnerships with our customers and build win-win relationships. You will also conduct research to understand the needs of the industry and be involved in a wide range of activities including: formulating marketing strategies, product conceptualisation, product launches & promotions, as well as budgeting & reviewing policies. You will also oversee and handle issues related to estate and property maintenance

I would say its a daring switch because DSTA is paying well but I dont wanna go into engineering line.

With JTC post, do you think with the above stated scope will give me relevant experience to join private developer like capitaland etc? I have no degree in real estate and might think of taking up Master in RE after clocking 1.5 year of experience with JTC. Mainly JTC gives me marketing and leasing experience, but i have frens who from JTC went to capitaland to interview, capitaland wanted to cut her pay...

But JTC really must do alot of account servicing...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.