Effective Way To Clean HSF

KleoZy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A few days ago, someone posted on how you clean your HSF as his HSF fins are stained with dirt.. and someone was pming me asking my method.. how was it done. ok this is what I have been doing and just to share..

Disclaimer first lol.. I bear no responsibilities if you get hurt in the process and hence.. please only apply to HSF that are of no color coated. Copper and Aluminum is ok for this.

Demo on how dirty HSF can be
dirty1.jpg

dirty2.jpg

dirty3.jpg

I know very dusty.. and staining on those fins.

Preparation
  • Washing Detergent (for clothes no need branded)
  • A Deep and Wide Bucket
  • Hot Water
  • Ice
  • Aluminum Foil
  • Some rags (deep with water shall explain later)

Steps

before you proceed make sure all fans are detach and no electrical wires dangling around.. just the heatsink / fins

prepare1.jpg

place the Fins in a bucket.

prepare2.jpg

place washing detergent, no need so much, just 1/2 scope from the spoon that comes inside the detergent bucket.

prepare3.jpg

Pour hot water

prepare4.jpg

dip a rag onto rinse water (WARNING THE FINS WILL BE SUPER HOT) this is to hold the top of the fins while you rotate clockwise and anti-clockwise for a few minutes (normally 50 seconds will do and the rag is to protect you from getting burn)

Last edited:

KleoZy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
prepare5.jpg

Look at the bucket of hot water lol

prepare6.jpg

pour away the hot water

prepare7.jpg

Throw ice into the bucket, fill it with water.

prepare8.jpg

deep the Fins into the cold water and do the same motion as in rotate clockwise and anti-clockwise.

prepare9.jpg

It's clean now.. but the color is pretty dull lol

prepare10.jpg

throw away the water in the bucket, put piece of aluminum foil and put detergent again. this time 1/4 scope.

prepare11.jpg

pour hotwater again.

prepare12.jpg

and using a rinse rag, rotate again.. 30 seconds or so.

Last edited:

KleoZy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
prepare13.jpg

pour away the hot water and throw away the aluminu, now fill it with normal water and soak your fins,
do the same motion about 30 seconds clockwise and anti clockwise. raise it at least two times, then throw away the water.
leave your fins to dry

prepare14.jpg

prepare15.jpg

results after rinse, still abit wet lol

prepare16.jpg

completely dry, btw I use hairdyer to heat up the Fins to evaporate the water, please becareful when you use hairdyer as the Fins will be hot too.
so make sure you use a dry rag to move the fins around while drying it.

well that's all folks.. simple easy and no need to go buy another heatsink.. I used this method all these while and most of my HSF still in good condition. overall the color will fade. I mean it will be shining but not as the original shine.

Practical and Theory of this
dust that stain on the fins does contain certain grease which permanently bite to the fins, when you deploy hotwater with detergent, the fins expands and with the help of the soapy detergent, the grease just peals off. using ice water is to break the grease even future, if you look at the surface of ice water with the fins inside, you will see one lay of stain on the surface (you dont believe me you can order from coffee shop for kopi or tea, when it's hot, you dont see anything but when it gets cold you will see a lay of oil, thats the milk that contains oil floating on the surface of your kopi or tea). next the final round is to make it cleaner and as why aluminum, well this is how hotel folk and spoon maintain their shine (you don't expect them to use braso or autosol to polish every single one of them right.. plus is meant to be use in your mouth lol. anyway these are being dip into buckets of hotwater with aluminum foil, the detergent of course is for utensils washing and not for clothes lol.. so that's how I maintain the shine on the HSF.

Last edited:

leongws

Master Member
Reaction score
very detailed & informative. SO its not advice to do this for nickel plated HSF?

hg_wng

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AMAZING!
but how does the aluminum foil help make the hsf shiny?

KleoZy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Im guessing aluminium ions from the aluminium foil will coat over the heatsink lol
Theoretically yes.. it does coat but is harmless coat lol.. before you throw the aluminum, you will notice that it's not as shining, infact is abit greyish.. the shine goes to whatever that's aluminum

very detailed & informative. SO its not advice to do this for nickel plated HSF?

I have tired on nickel black.. it ends up turning brown intead of black.. but without the use of aluminum foil..

Last edited:

koikoe

Reaction score

hahas alkaline electrolysis huh. heat + basic medium (detergent in hot water)...

then put aluminium hsf + aluminium foil to do Al coating?

KleoZy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
moreclear.jpg

a better picture on how clear it is.. i mean the fins not as in how shinning it is.. basically can see through no dirt no dust lol

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
very informative post. But what with we use coke after the whole cleaning process is completed? Will coke (being acidic) be able to restore more shine to the HS on top of the aluminium foil treatment earlier?

ov2rey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
put piece of aluminum foil and put detergent again. this time 1/4 scope.

i dont understand this part, why do u need to put aluminum foil? for

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
put piece of aluminum foil and put detergent again. this time 1/4 scope.

i dont understand this part, why do u need to put aluminum foil? for
The aluminiumn foil is to transfer part of it's shiny surface to the HS....

jarred1223

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Theoretically yes.. it does coat but is harmless coat lol.. before you throw the aluminum, you will notice that it's not as shining, infact is abit greyish.. the shine goes to whatever that's aluminum

I have tired on nickel black.. it ends up turning brown intead of black.. but without the use of aluminum foil..

Try on Noctua's nickel plated hsf??

Hope won't turn brown or what..

KleoZy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
very informative post. But what with we use coke after the whole cleaning process is completed? Will coke (being acidic) be able to restore more shine to the HS on top of the aluminium foil treatment earlier?

maybe should do this step without the last step of putting it to hotwater, detergent and aluminum foil..

the way I see it will be clean off the dirt first.. then follow by using coke.. maybe that will bring back the shine, but I wont advise to do it on nickel black. also side effect.. if this process that we keep doing it.. i affraid it might just bite off more metal, ended up with pot holes on the fins.. lol

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.