Hainan Island

picnic06

Reaction score
Trying to search in the Google Map for my father village but unable to locate it. Will be going this November in search of our family root.

Translate in English from Hainanese:

i Tek Luem Si
ii San Mui Sui

both areas mentioned are believe to be near Boon Shio Quai.

Any forrunners here who frequent Hainan Island can help. Many Thanks:spin:

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Why don't you type the names out in Chinese. No map will display these place names in dialect. If you have it in Chinese, you can even look on Chinese maps online.

picnic06

Reaction score
Why don't you type the names out in Chinese. No map will display these place names in dialect. If you have it in Chinese, you can even look on Chinese maps online.

Tried with Chinese names and even with Han Yu Ping ying without success. Tks.

xuexun

Reaction score
Anyone been to Hainan these few days??

I have booked a trip to Hainan end OCT and after looking at the flooding condition there, don't know if still can go or not.

Anyone knows what is the condition there like already?

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Tried with Chinese names and even with Han Yu Ping ying without success. Tks.

You can give us the names here in Chinese.

By end October, the floodwaters will recede, certainly. Then it is time to see how fast they can clean up.

picnic06

Reaction score
You can give us the names here in Chinese.

By end October, the floodwaters will recede, certainly. Then it is time to see how fast they can clean up.

Thanks.

I have checked with my late father relative which is in SG and was informed that my village is a small one and not listed in the google map.

It is near to WenChang (Boon Shio Kuai):s7::s7:

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Wenchang was badly flooded recently. I guess once you get to the town, directions to the village shall be available. Wenchang is well-known.

LonerZm

Reaction score
Thanks.

I have checked with my late father relative which is in SG and was informed that my village is a small one and not listed in the google map.

It is near to WenChang (Boon Shio Kuai):s7::s7:

If it is near 文昌, you can take a bus from the bus terminal/interchange (車站) from Haikou (海口) to 文昌.

LonerZm

Reaction score
Anyone been to Hainan these few days??

I have booked a trip to Hainan end OCT and after looking at the flooding condition there, don't know if still can go or not.

Anyone knows what is the condition there like already?

According to my friend in Hainan, many areas in Hainan are experiencing floods since the beginning of Oct till now. But the prolonged raining is forecast to stop at the end of Oct.

picnic06

Reaction score
If it is near 文昌, you can take a bus from the bus terminal/interchange (車站) from Haikou (海口) to 文昌.

Found, my late father hometown.....:s12:

It is Tian Wei Cun, just above the "Ba Gate Wan"

picnic06

Reaction score
Enjoy my stays in Hainan Island especially the village that I visited.

Sanya, Qiong Hai and Haikou traffic is crazy. Zebra crossing where predestrains have to give way to vehicles. Predestrain walkway becomes m/cycles lanes and those infront of shopping centres will becomes illegal vehicles parking lots.

Weather is cooling during end of November.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Sanya, Qiong Hai and Haikou traffic is crazy. Zebra crossing where predestrains have to give way to vehicles. Predestrain walkway becomes m/cycles lanes and those infront of shopping centres will becomes illegal vehicles parking lots.

This is China, after all.

I visited over the X'mas break by train from Guangzhou. The train was ferried over to Haikou (very exciting). Haikou got fairly boring. Sanya was fantastic.

Last edited:

LonerZm

Reaction score
Enjoy my stays in Hainan Island especially the village that I visited.

Weather is cooling during end of November.

Agreed. If you notice, the right turn traffic light is always blinking in amber color. Therefore, the pedestrians have to give way to the vehicles.

There are a lot of motorbikes and electric bikes and the motorcyclists will rode their bike on the pavements.

One thing I don't really like the frequent horn sound from the vehicles.

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to take taxi in Hainan?
Do the drivers follow the meter or must the fare be agreed upon before commencement of the journey?

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Within the city, meters are followed strictly. For long distance travel to out-of-town, drivers will try to negotiate the fare.

madcampus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to take taxi in Hainan?
Do the drivers follow the meter or must the fare be agreed upon before commencement of the journey?

China have Didi Chuxing similar to Uber/Grab. Just download the app and link your credit card to it.

monsterbeng

Reaction score
Can someone recommend some places of interest to go in Hainan for a 5D4N stay? Perhaps a recommended itinerary?

Also, any cheap and good hotel to recommend?? :s13:

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Can someone recommend some places of interest to go in Hainan for a 5D4N stay? Perhaps a recommended itinerary?

Also, any cheap and good hotel to recommend?? :s13:

For a start, you can visit the websites of our local tour agencies for the typical Hainan itineraries. I found 3 agencies with published itineraries for 5D4N or 6D/5N. All of them fly SIN-Haikou-SIN. I observe that the other itineraries differ slightly. You can consider flying to or from Sanya if the price is right to save time on the road. You can make use of the HSR between Haikou and Sanya.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.