Any tailors in Bangkok to recommend?

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
hi. I read from earlier post that all tailors r closed on Sunday. however I am going frm 14 to 16 which is sat to mon. will there be time to measure, fit n collect on Monday b4 I go?

-----
This message is sent from HWZ forums iPhone app

Hey! Do you think you can help me bring back my shirts back for alteration? :D

ultradiving

Reaction score
I told them my time limitation and asked if they could take my order. Once they promised I expect that they live up to it. Crown delayed my first fitting by 2hrs. They called my hotel 30min before my scheduled fitting to delay. Otherwise I would have been able to do 1 more fitting around 6pm that evening. This time round I simply couldn't do a second fitting after their delay as I'm on the 9am flight.

Not intending to find fault, but I think they really overdid the adjustments by a huge margin. I'm not sure now if I'd wear them as I can feel a strong pull at the elbow area with even a slight angle of about 30 degrees? I've dumped them for washing and see how it goes after. Not sure if I'll need to condemn the shirts or can keep until next trip for them to alter. Don't appear to have slack cloth. In fact I compared against shirts from Pinky and Boss. Crown's sleeves are shorter by 0.5-1". There's no alteration whateverso for this. Couldn't detect this during fitting due to missing cuff. :(

Problem this time is simply the lack of time. The trip was rescheduled and was limited by other constraints that I have (need to reach Singapore before early evening otherwise would have taken the evening flight out).

Last trip didn't include the weekend and have no idea the tailors do not work in Sunday (Boss shop remain open for measurement though). I won't be wearing the short sleeve from Pinky as well until I get them altered next trip. Too long to tuck out. Sigh... This trip is not so positive.

Anyway will be busy until mid next week so I won't take a close look at the shirts. Loosened the ducts and put them into washing first. Hope the shrinkage will not make things worse. I will try to put up some photos to pick out all the faults so that people know what to look/insist for.

Anyway while I was loosening the duct for Crown's, I can see the attention to detail that they put. The ducts were made using a finer thread so less visible. They were conscious to avoid auto unraveling from repeated wear/washing so they ran the ends a couple of times to make sure they were "sewn in dead". Together with the full flat felling, can see the level of workmanship and extra effort that they invested.

Pinky is really a mass production shop catering to a lot of Singaporeans and uses variety to gain business. Hard to beat their fabric selection. They are probably the "top tailor" for Singaporeans. Probably no other tailor get as much Singaporean business. The problem is also this. Singaporeans are not so picky/knowledgeable like Caucasians who are used to better quality stuff who know what to look out for in a quality tailor.

They do not do full flat felling, the ducts were using thicker thread (not that it's bad, just that brought down by Crown) and were left fraying. Other than these, think they are quite decent. In fact, the way the cuffs are done I feel the workmanship is a notch above Crown despite that they are different designs - fundamentals remain.

Oh, I really believe the 1500b fabric that I have is the same quality as the 850b from Boss. I think design also plays a part in how Pinky price their fabric. Not purely on quality. Felt a bit "chopped". My impression of Pinky came down a bit with this trip. But then again, I'm please with that 1500b shirt. Quite sure Boss will not pull it off like Pinky did for me.

Boss is not a "great" tailor. Although as an overall package they are "ok", I can find a number of issues that will put them in a lower class. The cutting is not really straight. The alignment leaves much to be desired. But can be overlooked so long as the price is low enough. Good enough for daily wear (if can last).

Pinky has:
- 1000b (60/40-70/30 blend)
- 1200b (80/20 blended)
- 1500b (Egyptian 100% cotton)
- 1800b (High quality cotton 100%)
- 2000b (Italian 100% cotton)
- 2500b (Italian 100% cotton)
Not sure which are 2-ply. The price for the last 2 range may be wrong, and up to 3500b? Did not pay too much attention as not within my budget expectation. This trip I got 3 from the 1000b range.

Crown has:
- 1000b (60/40-70/30 blended)
- 1200b (80/20 blend)
- 1500b (100% cotton - not necessary Egyptian)
- 2000b and above range
This trip I got 2 from the 1200b range over the 1000b range due to choices available.

Boss has:
- 850b (blended, not clear on the ratio)
- 1400b (100% cotton, no further details)
This trip got 2 from the 850b range.

So in fact I've got "cheap" shirts from Pinky as well. That aside, the workmanship should be the same regardless of the material costs. Unless of course their more highly skilled tailors only do more expensive fabrics? JFYI, the Pinky shirt that is made too tightly is from the 1200b range. Maybe is cut too small? Maybe the tailor so happen to sew smaller? Who knows?

Well probably its just bad experience and different expectations. Shirt and pants, you do realise some tailors does "mark" their length based on customers' request or by so-called "standards".

i.e. Some cut their pants right at the brim of the shoe cuttings while some just let it slack-rest on your shoes.

Till date, no banal talk from the Crown's unlike the rest who quote slightly higher and gives the "so-called" discounts. Price for the quality and service I would say.

Case: On my recent trip, had a hiccup on one of my pant's pocket, the boss actually sent his sales rep "Lop" over to my hotel and pick up the piece on a Sunday night based on my schedule, brought it back for a fix and delivered right back later, Kudos for that. They even sent a follow up message. I would say their PR/Service is commendable.

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
haha thanks for your reply :D
not sure if i can do it for u. may not hav chance to go tailor if gf is bz shopping

OIC. Actually I just emailed my tailor and got a reply from them. If you can just help to drop the shirts, I can get them to mail it back. If you don't mind I can pass the shirts to you and see if you are able to drop the shirts (best effort basis only). If you can't then I'll just collect the shirts back from you. Or otherwise if it's too troublesome for you then it's ok too.

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
Well probably its just bad experience and different expectations. Shirt and pants, you do realise some tailors does "mark" their length based on customers' request or by so-called "standards".

i.e. Some cut their pants right at the brim of the shoe cuttings while some just let it slack-rest on your shoes.

Till date, no banal talk from the Crown's unlike the rest who quote slightly higher and gives the "so-called" discounts. Price for the quality and service I would say.

Case: On my recent trip, had a hiccup on one of my pant's pocket, the boss actually sent his sales rep "Lop" over to my hotel and pick up the piece on a Sunday night based on my schedule, brought it back for a fix and delivered right back later, Kudos for that. They even sent a follow up message. I would say their PR/Service is commendable.

Agree that this is a one off bad experience. Other than the bad fitting due to no other than lack of fitting appointment, can't fault them too much on the quality and workmanship.

In fact I just emailed them at about 10pm and less than 1.5hrs later, I got an email response! They took all the issues very well and want to do what they can to correct them so that I can wear the shirt smartly.

I have just replied them with photos taken on the issues so might as well also post here and share.

This is how it looks like after I loosened the shirt by removing the 2 ducts at the back. Gained 2" more cloth at the widest. Still a little too tight a the torso, but at least I only feel the pull when I bring my arms forward. Previously I feel the hug just doing the buttoning action.
33cnl1h.jpg

This is how it looks like from the side. Notice the pull?
4hwrgg.jpg

This is how it looks like from the back. Can see the shirt "eating" into the flesh?
21m6yx4.jpg

Last edited:

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
Since I'm at it, might as well take more photos now rather than later.

This is the 2 type of fancy cuffs that I made this time.
- The one on the left is the inverted double cuff. Crossover between a double french cuff and a normal button cuff. Crown shirt.
- The one on the right is a crossover between a double french cuff and single french cuff with a twist. The corner of the outer layer is cut away to reveal more of the contrasting inner layer. The cufflink instead of going through 4 layers of cloth is going through only the 2 innermost layers. The cufflink is looser now but don't think it matter much. Pinky shirt.
- I did a single side angle cut double french cuff from Boss. No photos yet. But the output is off from my expectation.
2mmygq0.jpg

The thing I like about Pinky is their wide selection of fabric. I tailored more shirts than I initially intended to as I saw fabrics that give rise to pretty nice combination for inner layer.

This is the comparison between the inseams and cutting of the shirt tail between Crown and Pinky.
312xmxf.jpg

If you can't really see what's going on with Crown, it's normal. That's the beauty of flat felling. Nicer finishing and stronger joins. Read more about it here (http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/tarptent3/flatfelled.html). As you can see, much more work is required so mostly only good tailors would do them. Disappointed with Pinky!

You can see that Pinky's inseam is the normal seam that you find on nearly all rack shirts. Quick work. Just 1 run over the machine instead of 2 runs with folding, alignment, etc. Not a big thing until you realise the benefit of flat felled seams and what you should be getting for a quality piece that you thought you paid for.

I also love the curve that Crown does for the shirt tail. Smooth and curves the way I like them. Like a continuous sine wave. Pinky does them simply by curving the front and rear and does not care if the side curvature is smoothly linked up. The point where the front and back meet is like a triangular wave. No doubt it's rucked and hidden under the pants, but I feel good knowing the curve is nice!

Last edited:

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
For those who want to customise, some ideas:

Cuffs
Cuff%20Styles.jpg

shirt-cuffs.jpg

CUFF_STYLES.jpg

Collars
COLLAR%20STYLES.JPG

Custom%20Dress%20Shirt%20Collar%201.jpg

COLLAR_STYLES.jpg

collars-cuffs.jpg

Last edited:

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
Double Collar
stacyds1830bg.jpg

S002-1detail.jpg

Double-Collar1.jpg

Placket
Normal ("column spine")
placket_front.jpg

Hidden buttons
placket_front_hidden.jpg

Contrasting Button Eye
Mens_Woven_Dress_Shirts_Long_Sleeves_Angle_Cuffs_Contrast_Button_Hole_Stitching.jpg

Think also along the lines of contrasting threads for collar, cuff, etc. Anywhere you can imagine.

There are also pocket styles that you can customise. Not going to search for sample photos since I tailor mine without any pockets.

Also, you can embroider your name/initials onto the shirt where you like it. Typically on pocket/chest area where most famous labels brand their shirts or the cuffs. Probably nice on corner of collar as well. Again, any colour thread you want. To be less conspicuous, use a thread whose colour is close to the base colour where the initials would be printed. Or a higher contrast colour to scream your own label to everyone.

Last edited:

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
My original request to Pinky was for something like this where the underside of the placket (reverse where the button and button holes are) is also lined with the contrasting fabric. Unfortunate they only did the inner collar and not the underside of the placket.

S002-1black.jpg

lweegp

Reaction score
hey guys just my contribution on pinky. was there recently (during the national holiday break) after reading all the contributions of the bros here. the place was easy to find n conveniently located. i would say im quite satisfied with the services provided by them too. the guy who served me is nom. i was there quite early n probably their first customer. so the usual cloth selection procedure. selected one b2500 n one b1500 range. price quoted after discount was b3500 but finally managed to lower to b3000. their service was fast n efficient. i had my first try later that evening 6pm. some minor touchup to do but otherwise all are in good shape and requirements which i have given to them. wanted to try paul's fashion at armari but not much time...perhap next year when i go bkk in apr 2011 again.

ultradiving

Reaction score
My original request to Pinky was for something like this where the underside of the placket (reverse where the button and button holes are) is also lined with the contrasting fabric. Unfortunate they only did the inner collar and not the underside of the placket.

S002-1black.jpg

Nice Coverage on the wide choices /Kudos to Condor :s12:

Mr_Hideo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is the price quoted for the 100% Egyptian Cotton, a 2-ply shirt?

Also, for a 80/20 blend, how does it feels like and what's the shrinkage like?

Thanks.

grantt

Reaction score
I don't think there has been any recommended on this forum. The two that stands out on this forum seems to be Pinky & Crown.

Reaction score
Just to share. I don't think the "Egyptian Cotton" adverts by most tailors in BKK hold true. But they are 100% cotton and are still very good value. Why I say this is that when they have newer stuff and quote you a higher price, they tell you its Italian cotton. Man, name it what you want, it's all a marketing ploy in BKK.

It's best you bring a shirt for them to copy. If you have only a short time in BKK, this is probably the best option. Margin of error is a lot lower than having them take measurements.

In any case, if you do not have a copy, all these tailors do the measurements then send the material and order to a factory to get it done for you. It's amazing how fast all these shirts can be churned out. But hey, it's sub $50 for a french cuffed shirt. So there's little to complain.

If you're looking for Hubeross and real Sea Island quality, you're probably better off doing it in Singapore as it's more expensive in BKK.

charsiewmee

Reaction score
HI Guys,

Pinky and Crown is at Nana right.

Hows the prices for the suit jackets.

Just to source around, anyone has good catalogue of the suits and shirts design.

mikepang

Reaction score
good bangkok tailor

I'm very happy with my bangkok tailor. They first gave me a fitting on the shirt & pant and then made them ready the next day. Good selection of modern latest up- to-date fabrics. I liked the fact the they were very friendly and followed precisely how I told them to make. Highly recommended. Very close to Skytrain Nana station its called Jhasper Fashion.

rerear

Reaction score
arrive Saturday early afternoon.... fly off Tue morning.... enough time to make shirts at the tailors taking into account they are closed Sunday?

otherwise do all of them provide Thailand->Singapore delivery and what are the charges like.

mikepang

Reaction score
I think they should be able to...did mine in a period of 2-3 days too with fittings and all...though I kept in mind to immedtly visit the tailor first thing as soon as I land!

tadaoshimbori

Reaction score
Good experience with Pinky Tailor !

Another countless trip to BKK ! I went to Pinky Tailor since 1995 after reading many reviews about Pinky Tailor on websites & Lonely planet BKK/Thailand guide.

Tailored some shirts, suits.. I would say that what makes them different from other Tailors in BKK or South East Asia is the following:
1. They know what they are doing !
2. Varities that they have
3. No saleman standing outside to pull you in !
4. Don't cheat on Materials
5. Small But Huge in quality & material

I am always satisfied with the things that I made with Pinky Tailor, but this time I am extra happy is because of 2 things:
1. The person who took care of me during my visit is Mr. Pinky's son (His name is Win). Anyway I met this boy since he was young and has always been helping his dad since school .. enter university and joinned Toyota (if I am not mistaken) .. and now resigned from Toyota to help his dad full time .. coz I think they have very good business..

Anyway if you go to Pinky Tailor .. just ask for his Son coz he is real expert in helping you choose material, talkative (not pushing you to order).. talk & take very good care of customer and always smiling anyway easy word he is a nice boy ! Both Mr. Pinky & his son help out really well <-- I think with them working together.. more people will be coming to Pinky Tailor.

2. Actually the day I went was Mr. Pinky's birthday and I was there to try fitting for my suit just before their shop close .. so they took me to Mr. Pinky's BD party .. very much fun .. ! ..

So if anyone ask for suggestions on Bangkok Tailor .. I would say go to Pinky Tailor

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.