Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i have been living in my current home, when we move in the flat back then, only the master bedroom (my mum room) got aircon installed. recently i feel my 2 fans are not cooling me at all despite blowing at me 20 cm away. So i thinking of buying a single unit aircon to be install in my room..

So i told my parents about it.. They told me that install aircon in my room need to inform hdb ?? true or not ? lol. I think its more they want to "bluff" me into not buying an aircon, knowing that i will be using aircon every nite.

If buy portable aircon is it strong enough to cool my room ? i am a person who is very scared of the heat..

Need some suggestions.

Whoppie

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Currently renovating my ground floor and contractor has recommended 2 * 18,000 BTU units (single spilt), one each for living all and dinning area.

He has recommended Toshiba and Daikin, both brands carry a 5yr warranty for condenser and 1yr for FCU.

Toshiba is about $300+ more expensive as condenser is made in Japan. Is it worth Toshiba worth the extra amount?

He has recommended the following units:

1) http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/products/products_details.asp?id=1853

2) http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/products/products_details.asp?id=3085

3) http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/products/products_details.asp?id=1702

I'm thinking of getting option 2 as its a newer model and has a 4-tick energy efficiency rating. The contractor is however recommending option 3, he claims its a well proven model but its more expensive and only has 3-ticks.

Is it true that a higher BTU inverter unit uses less electricity as compressor has to work less hard? Contractor says lower equipment cost from lower BTU unit will be negated by high power bills in the long run as condenser has to run at a higher load?

Does a 4-tick system save more $$$ (vs 3-ticks) in the long run?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Whoppie

Reaction score
Hi to all,

Need some help here.

My old (really old aircon) is going to konk out soon.

I was recommended by the aircon servicing guy to change to a inverter which uses R22 refrigerant.

Any idea if I can switch to another inverter that user R410A refrigerant?

I am reusing back the old piping. But the piping very old already. I guess 15 years. Do you think its advisable? Changing piping is out of question coz existing piping is hidden and would involve some renovation / tearing down work.

Thanks and regards

Facing the same dilemma now, old system uses R-22. Contractor gave me 2 options,

1) Get a 3-tick energy efficiency rating model from Daikin or Toshiba which uses R-22.

2) Get a 4-tick model which uses R-410 and flush/purge pipes with nitrogen before installation. However he says there is a risk as R-410 operates at a much higher pressure.

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

Need some help here.

My old (really old aircon) is going to konk out soon.

I was recommended by the aircon servicing guy to change to a inverter which uses R22 refrigerant.

Any idea if I can switch to another inverter that user R410A refrigerant?

I am reusing back the old piping. But the piping very old already. I guess 15 years. Do you think its advisable? Changing piping is out of question coz existing piping is hidden and would involve some renovation / tearing down work.

Thanks and regards

from what i read abt R410A and R22 refrigerant, if it is R410A piping you can use R22, but not the other way. Some contractors claimed that if they can "clean" the pipes using R22 so that they can use the new R410A.

well... prob... but the new R410A olso uses higher pressure and needs thicker Cu pipes. Need to consider this as well.

existence

Reaction score
I am also going to install airconditioners for my new 4-room flat. Today, I went to Gain City to find out more about airconditioners. Salesman advised me that I should get a system 4 for my 4-room flat.
According to him, there are certain brands and models I cannot use because of the small size of my aircon ledge window. He recommended LG inverter but I am inclined to get Daixin, Mitsubishi or Panasonic inverter as these brands seem to be more popular with forumers. Out of these three brands, which model and brand (and its estimated price) would you recommend? I normally switch on my aircon for two bedrooms in my old house at least for entire night. Occasionally switch on aircon in living room in the old house when it is hot. I don't mind paying slightly more for a quiet, energy saving, cool airconditioner. Hope someone can give feedback/suggestions.

have you bought your system 4 yet? care to share?

Core2max

Reaction score
I am considering these two models.... which one is better?
I saw Jack Neo ads in youtube looks like Mitsubishi is easy to clean, Is the daikin easy to clean aswell ?

(Option 1)
Mitsubishi Electric > MXY-3A28VA / MSY-GE10VA x 3
Capacity BTU/hr : 30366

Energy Label : 4 Ticks
Refrigerant : R410A
Equipment : $2,010.00
Installation : $660.00
Bracket : $150.00
GST (7%) : $197.40
Total : $3,017.40

(Option 2)
Daikin > 3MKS50ESG / 3 X FTKS25
Capacity BTU/hr : 24225

Equipment : $2,394.00
GST (7%) : $199.78
Total : $3,053.78 (Special Price)

Taken from: CxxxSxxxx.com.sg

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
I saw Jack Neo ads in youtube looks like Mitsubishi is easy to clean, Is the daikin easy to clean aswell ?

(Option 1)

(Option 2)

Thanks guys!

Hi,
Got 2 option I will definitely to choose for option 1,
MIT electric will be have more benefit for long term service,
It is also more quite at only 19db and more higher capacity for your room quick to cooling down just only set to 25C it is enough your cooling needed.
MIT have easy clean and instantly clean without any tools.

Daikin normal have some small small part can be easily get spoil and can't turn on have to call for service the LED light will be showing.

To compared indoor unit fan coil for me I will prefer to Mitsubishi electric have more quality.
Because I have open all cover to see the part and product.
Not like pastic feel and little bit warm white color.

Hope you don't go for wrong.

Have a nice day!

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score

(Option 1)

(Option 2)

Thanks guys!

hm... the lower than total summation for option 2 is due to the "special price" huh?

what's the Cu pipe gauge used? and the insulation thickness?

R410A uses a higher pressure and it's colder than the R22.

So Cu gauge 23 min, or better still gauge 22 (lower number gauge means thicker Cu walled pipes).

Insulation thickness preferably thicker coz colder pipes + humid climate = condensation (aka sweating). 3/4" would be nice but then trunking would olso be huge and ugly.

Core2max

Reaction score
It looks like option (1) is better, except for high standby power consumption (thanks for the link about this issue)

According to the website, they will use:
Liquid Pipe Size : 6.35 (23SWG)
Gas Pipe Size : 15.88 (23SWG)
Insulation : Class 1
Drainage Pipe : 16mm

Here is the full spec of the package:
http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/products/products_details.asp?id=2763

And this one is the standard installation material:
http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/techInfo/techinfo_Meterial.asp

It looks okay to me... or do I need something else?

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
It looks like option (1) is better, except for high standby power consumption (thanks for the link about this issue)

Hi

Can I ask how big your room size ?

Because for daikin cooling capacity for turn on 3 units at only 5664 btu/h.
It's only allow for small type of room.

If bigger pls find out the daikin model 3MKS71ESG.
Will more cooling turn on 3 units can support up to 7404 btu/h.

For Mit electric cooling capacity can up to 8189 btu/h for each room to turn on 3 units at same time.
have more capacity can save more energy.

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
hm... i used have a Fujitsu 36k BTU compressor for 4 FCUs each 9k BTUs.

It was (let me assure u) a total over-kill!

I initially was worried that the compressor cannot support all 4 FCUs, so i got the biggest one i could find and ended up with this 36k BTU compressor.

However, i soon realized that the initial cooling is the one that draws max power. And when the coils are cold after a few minutes, the power to the compressor drops. I confirm this with an AC clamp-on multimeter on the power cable to the compressor.

So if you add up the BTUs of the FCUs, you realized it is usually higher than what the compressor's BTU. But i dun think you should be overtly concern abt it.

yes, i agree that the one with the higher BTU compressor prob can cool down all the FCUs faster. BUT! it also comes at a price of a larger compressor which prob consumes more power to do so.

conclusion? everything is give & take lah... :s13:

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Looks like quite big for your master bedroom size = 3.5x4m
I will suggest you quote for 13k BTU.
And 2 common room can use 10k BTU.
So total = 2x10+13. it is more efficient for keep faster cool down.
If not you will try to set at 2 speed fan and temperature to 23C.
At the your fan coil will be more noisy and usage more energy.
It's for my experience.

Core2max

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion and sharing your experience, Bro kimsim.

Currently the all FCUs are facing the bed and with the new installation, we intend to put it above the door (coz I dont want the air blowing direct to bed)

Is one day enough to dismantle the existing aircon + new installation?

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion and sharing your experience, Bro kimsim.

Currently the all FCUs are facing the bed and with the new installation, we intend to put it above the door (coz I dont want the air blowing direct to bed)

Is one day enough to dismantle the existing aircon + new installation?
I think it is due to your old gas Cooper pipe is using R22 for non-inverter.

Don't use back the existing gas pipe.
To be solve the future problem.
Also drain before joint to new hose must clean out the jelly inside.

spying

Reaction score
Hi All, need help on replacing my 10year old sharp aircon.

I will need a system 3. Saw an ad from gaincity, 2250 with installation for the Sharp AEX3M18JR.

Any comments?

Their with installation price means they will dismantle my existing and replace with new ones?

Thanks.

amlim

Reaction score
from what i read abt R410A and R22 refrigerant, if it is R410A piping you can use R22, but not the other way. Some contractors claimed that if they can "clean" the pipes using R22 so that they can use the new R410A.

well... prob... but the new R410A olso uses higher pressure and needs thicker Cu pipes. Need to consider this as well.

I got another question.

Assume that I use back the old piping for the new R410A air con and later the old pipe spoil.

Can I then ask the contractor to install new piping which is not hidden (ie it is installed on the walls) for the aircon?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
I got another question.

Assume that I use back the old piping for the new R410A air con and later the old pipe spoil.

Can I then ask the contractor to install new piping which is not hidden (ie it is installed on the walls) for the aircon?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks.
Yes sure the contactor can reuse back the existing pipe.
But make sure the contractor have to cleaning and purging for while to cleaning old stick oily base.
To be safe your new runing R410A gas.
If not do that for a short term can hear the compressor runing noisy and un smoothly at all.
It is mix with both gas become chemical reaction.

terumo

Reaction score
If u change the quipment first, and rerun the pipes later, the cost is much higher. if changing pipes is not a big hassle (no concealed piping), change the pipes with the equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.