Wine

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i hope it isn't too late.

both riesling and gewurz, while not traditional italian grapes, can be great pasta wine depending on the type of pasta served. u might need something with crisp acidity to bite through the pasta sauce. to be honest, there are only soome labels from CS that are worth buying, more perhaps if u shop at Jasons/Marketplace. In addition, regular CS don't carry much gewurz & (surprisingly) rieslings.

the only two whites i can think of from the top of my head from CS that I enjoyed recently are:

- Plantagenet Omrah Sauvignon Blanc
- Rolling Sauvignon Blanc-Semillon Blend

If u had to go for a riesling, the Charles Wiffen Riesling should suffice.
If it's gewurz, i honestly don't think there is a decent gewurz at CS, or at least haven't tried one. If u were are Carrefour, then that's a different story.

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
not stepped into taka for ages. seems like got new happening. mouton rothschilds anyone?

Wine%2BPic%2B010.jpg

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nice...Enoteca is one of the largest Japanese wine retailer chains. hope the prices are fair.

in addition, www.thelocalnose.com has updated their page (they update every monday) with 6 champagnes reviews that go for $80 and under. some good options to consider as we approach this festive period.

Last edited:

Baggio10

Reaction score
not stepped into taka for ages. seems like got new happening. mouton rothschilds anyone?

Wine%2BPic%2B010.jpg

i went there already...alot of vintage wines..saw 1980 something..i think got 1969..

lafite is 1.5k..they say special promotion..

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Today tried sparkling wine at my company's dinner. taste like red wine.. still far from sweet enough for me. Left dessert wine liao. That time at Jayson, they selling at 40 plus. They want to chop carrot ?

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is the price range for this Wine?

lafites in general go between $1300-$3000 depending on the vintage.
but with the upcoming crazy demand of Lafites specifically from China, the international prices for Lafites may soar in the next few years.

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-news/484977/lafite-makes-historic-move-into-china-exclusive

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-news/504530/lafite-08-bottles-to-feature-chinese-symbol

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-n...-insiders-call-sotheby-s-lafite-prices-insane

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Today tried sparkling wine at my company's dinner. taste like red wine.. still far from sweet enough for me. Left dessert wine liao. That time at Jayson, they selling at 40 plus. They want to chop carrot ?

what do u mean it tastes like red wine? was it a white sparkling or rose sparkling wine? do u remember the producer? still red wine and sparkling white wine taste quite different from each other.

while u definitely like sweet wine, i think its also good to try to expand your palate and try new things outside of the sweet realm. Jason's and Marketplace are meant for more higher-end customers with bigger wallets hence they are able to create a higher mark up. it's not so much about 'chop carrot' but pricing it high enough that is still attractive to their target customer, which is obviously not you or us.

maybe this holiday season you should go and try some other non-dessert style/sweet wines. not everything needs to have that much residual sugar.

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
what do u mean it tastes like red wine? was it a white sparkling or rose sparkling wine? do u remember the producer? still red wine and sparkling white wine taste quite different from each other.

while u definitely like sweet wine, i think its also good to try to expand your palate and try new things outside of the sweet realm. Jason's and Marketplace are meant for more higher-end customers with bigger wallets hence they are able to create a higher mark up. it's not so much about 'chop carrot' but pricing it high enough that is still attractive to their target customer, which is obviously not you or us.

maybe this holiday season you should go and try some other non-dessert style/sweet wines. not everything needs to have that much residual sugar.

sorry man i only know the sparkling wine i drank is in red. and they told me its sparkling wine. I didn't notice the brand or produder. next time i will take note of it.

i have drank red wine/ white wine before. just don't like the taste. :s22:

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it's probably a red sparkling or a rose sparkling.
maybe u need to start with some red/white wines that have a little bit of residual sugar in them (although not as much as a dessert wine) and then work from there.

and i also know some pple that don't like red or white wine because they've been served sub-par red/white wine their whole life haha...

u can look for german riesling that say either Spatlese or halb-trocken. these are white wines that aren't too sweet but still have a little more residual sugar than the average dry white wine.

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
it's probably a red sparkling or a rose sparkling.
maybe u need to start with some red/white wines that have a little bit of residual sugar in them (although not as much as a dessert wine) and then work from there.

and i also know some pple that don't like red or white wine because they've been served sub-par red/white wine their whole life haha...

u can look for german riesling that say either Spatlese or halb-trocken. these are white wines that aren't too sweet but still have a little more residual sugar than the average dry white wine.

What is the market price for that wine ? :s22:

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is the market price for that wine ? :s22:

it ranges from retailer to retailer and from producer to producer. for better selections, you should go to a proper wine store and it should retail between the high $30s and up to the $50s/$60, especially if you are getting a prominent producer.

the retailer with the largest selection of german wines is MAGMA, here's their pricelist: http://www.magmatc.com/pdf/magma_wines.pdf (it's a 100 pages)

it's definitely not supermarket cheap, but they bring in quality products.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for those with a slightly fatter wallet, you might want to consider getting wines from this local online retailer. I have bought stuff from them before, they bring in more niche but incredible producers. I bought their growers champagne from Pierre Peters, costs about the same as the usual popular non-vintage champagne house you see in supermarkets, but the quality is much much much higher.

they also bring in some of the top german producers including Donnhoff and one of the leading red wine producers from Germany: Weingut Huber. I didn't know they sold Huber and chanced upon it accidentally while I was searching for a Huber distributor in SG as I drank a bottle of Huber while I was in Germany 2 years ago and loved it.

they only bring in a select few of French and German producers and they are apty named Wein Vin (wine in german and french). their website is www.weinvin.com

the only 'downside' is that the minimum purchase (especially for their promo items) are in cases of 6 bottles minimum. although for my initial purchase about 1 month ago, they were nice enough to sell me a single bottle of the Pierre Peters Champagne. by no means do they sell cheap or very affordable wine for the general public, but for those who want to explore the more niche and quality producers, they bring in some very nice labels. You can get a bunch of friends (or pple online) and do a group purchase to fill up the 6 bottle minimum.

although I seem to have written alot about them, I am in no way affiliated to them except that I am a satisfied customer.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone buying/drinking anything this weekend? or waiting for next week's wine far at Carrefour before loading up on some Christmas and New Year wine?

reign

Reaction score
Doubt will buy due to leftover Stock in my cupboard. Btw, was told by some wine supplier that the shop bottles and Bottles is cheaper for Aus wine much cheaper than airport. Can confirm?

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for some aussie producers i guess. i haven't really been buying from Bottles and Bottles for a while already as i am exploring other regions and other producers. i guess to get the wines at lower prices they would have to bring in the wines themselves. so next time when u go to bottles & bottles (or any wine shop for that matter), you can take a look at the bottle as it will usually have a small sticker that shows who imported the wines in. If it's B&B then maybe the prices it's better but if it's from another importer then may not be as cheap compared buying direct from the importer.

and to be honest, airport wines aren't that super cheap anyways as we always think they are. at most no gst/alcohol tax and some discount. wine sales/fairs can sell wines that are much cheaper. airport wines are also brought in by an importer (not the airport) and the importer needs to make profits too right?

reign

Reaction score
I also Think So... Cos most of the time i asked my friend who isn't any liquor to help me as i had the thinking that it is cheaper..

Baggio10

Reaction score
Doubt will buy due to leftover Stock in my cupboard. Btw, was told by some wine supplier that the shop bottles and Bottles is cheaper for Aus wine much cheaper than airport. Can confirm?

Black opal is about the same price as in crystal wines or 1 or 2 dollars difference..guess more or less ba..

anyway i still got one bottle of black opal from DFS..last time can't find it locally..

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tomorrow i am going to try a sparkling wine from the Limoux appellation in the southern region of France (Languedoc). Most famous for being the place in the world where the first sparkling wine was made.

i found a bottle at Jasons/marketplace and some CS selling at a very attractive price of $29.90. If this is a good tasting sparkling wine, this could be a game changer for me and I will definitely recommend it to you guys as a more QPR (quality price ratio) purchase for sparkling wines, which are dominated by the big champagne houses that are above $80 even for their 'entry' level ones; that are totally not worth the price.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.