A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones (HBO)

playground

Reaction score
Synopsis (from HBO official site):
Summers span decades. Winters can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.

It will stretch from the south, where heat breeds plots, lusts and intrigues; to the vast and savage eastern lands; all the way to the frozen north, where an 800-foot wall of ice protects the kingdom from the dark forces that lie beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars, lords and honest men... all will play the "Game of Thrones".

A new original series based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. Winter is coming soon to HBO.

Teaser trailer:

I can't wait for this series to be out! Any other anticipating fans? It's currently scheduled to premier on HBO in 2011. The cast features big names like Sean Bean and Lena Headey (300).

6prv3q.jpg

If you have not read the books but count yourself as a fantasy lover - I highly recommend it. You will be hooked! I really hope the TV series will not disappoint.

Last edited:

GrimaH

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping it's not bummed down too much.

Still not sure a fantasy epic of this scale can be crammed into a TV series. Plus, Martin said some (admittedly minor) characters would be taken out.

playground

Reaction score
All the plot points are very intertwined, it would be hard to leave out anything without affecting the main story. Although yea - they've just confirmed that Season 1 will have 10 episodes. Not sure how they're going to cram everything in.

Kahlan

Master Member
Reaction score
Synopsis (from HBO official site):
Summers span decades. Winters can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.

It will stretch from the south, where heat breeds plots, lusts and intrigues; to the vast and savage eastern lands; all the way to the frozen north, where an 800-foot wall of ice protects the kingdom from the dark forces that lie beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars, lords and honest men... all will play the "Game of Thrones".

A new original series based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. Winter is coming soon to HBO.

Teaser trailer:

I can't wait for this series to be out! Any other anticipating fans? It's currently scheduled to premier on HBO in 2011. The cast features big names like Sean Bean and Lena Headey (300).

6prv3q.jpg

If you have not read the books but count yourself as a fantasy lover - I highly recommend it. You will be hooked! I really hope the TV series will not disappoint.

how many books in this series? Is it complete?

Kahlan

Master Member
Reaction score
ok thanks wah 3 more books to go. Sometimes i cannot stand the wait.

playground

Reaction score
*Update*

HBO has launched an entire site dedicated to the production of the series. Check it out at http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/

Interview with the George Martin, the writers, and Sean Bean (features scenes from the set)

Interview with production designer Gemma Jackson

CAN'T WAIT!

playground

Reaction score
*NEW TEASER*

Press impressions thus far:

Cannot. Wait. I won’t bother parsing the bits of footage frame-by-frame (Winter Is Coming is one fan blog that does a good job of that; also westeros.org), but overall I’m very encouraged by the visuals, which have the dirty look that Geroge R. R. Martin’s books convey.

James Poniewozik – Time Magazine

If you watched the True Blood finale last night on HBO then you know that the best part about it was definitely…the new behind-the-scenes footage of the upcoming Game of Thrones series.

Matt Fowler – IGN TV

Extracted from http://winter-is-coming.net/

Zetsuei

Reaction score
whenever I saw tv series with this kind of theme, I always think of Xena and Hercules tv series, low budget and somewhat meh..

so like this one, legend of the keeper, other similar series, is it like Xena and Hercules ?

Gr3yham3

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
waiting for this show as well.. big fan of the books... those asking if the book is good.. just go read it.. unless u are not fans of big plots and multiple character viewpoints that can be quite confusing if you are not used to it..

as for the tv series, keeping my fingers crossed that they can replicate the feel of the books.. e trailer doesnt do it justice now as there's still post-production to be done to touch up those loose ends n stuff..

still waiting for Dance of Dragons to be out.. so many years liao.. george martin really taking his time..

playground

Reaction score
A glimpse at the Castle Black lift (interview with production designer)

ON SET: Bronn the sellsword
2z8c9s8.jpg

More at http://www.makinggameofthrones.com

Yeah George Martin is really taking his time with Dance of Dragons! I'm lucky as I only finished the series last year, so I haven't been waiting that long..

Film Addict

Reaction score
whenever I saw tv series with this kind of theme, I always think of Xena and Hercules tv series, low budget and somewhat meh..

so like this one, legend of the keeper, other similar series, is it like Xena and Hercules ?

I usually think the same way too..oh and theres also Merlin and Robin Hood.

But I like the look of this one. From the trailers it seem to have a more gritty look. Unlike the others that seem too costumey.

And with Sean Bean in this one, I almost thought I'm seeing an LOTR clip. He is so at home in these type of period pieces.

playground

Reaction score
Yup, this is obviously a big production by HBO, with names like Sean Bean, Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey. As a fan of the books, I'm really thrilled by the quality of the previews so far.

The latest teaser looks really good:

I usually think the same way too..oh and theres also Merlin and Robin Hood.

But I like the look of this one. From the trailers it seem to have a more gritty look. Unlike the others that seem too costumey.

And with Sean Bean in this one, I almost thought I'm seeing an LOTR clip. He is so at home in these type of period pieces.

halcyonstar

Reaction score
WINTER IS COMING!!! omfg best tv show ever!!! and we're already at the end of the season and there are no discussion about previous episodes?? pfft!!!

rECKleSSfElla

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WINTER IS COMING!!! omfg best tv show ever!!! and we're already at the end of the season and there are no discussion about previous episodes?? pfft!!!

Guess not many people following this series..well i am and have thoroughly enjoyed every single episode so far except the parts of the storyline with the khalesi....every scene with Peter Dinklage(the midget) is an absolute joy to watch! Caught a couple episodes of Chamelot and i must say G.O.T is way way way much better. My only complain is that the writers are seemingly milking the story and the developments in the last few episodes are kinda slow. Cant believe they took 4 episodes to progress from the hunting "accident" of the king to the execution of Eddard.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.