US help.

devilish_me

Reaction score
SPR - Singaporean PR?
U can hold on to SG PR even U get your greencard. it is not like U are becoming citizen.
US allow duo citizenship. SG do not allow duo citizenship.

who are the they?

depending on education level greencard can take very short time.
with a Phd (non PRC or Indian) usually takes 1yr+.
PRC or Indian takes longer still its like 2yrs.

those without US masters would required 5yrs of working experience and meet min salary requirement or bach and 10yrs of experience and min salary requirement. with that takes around 2yrs for non PRC or Indian. for them I heard ~5yrs.

others takes around 8-10yrs.

benefits of greencard, can claim social security when the time comes even U stay outside USA. can claim unemployment benefits if U are btw jobs. Can find job easily and demand higher $$, most companies today don't want to sponsor H1 so for one to find job most ppl ask for lesser money.
even on work VISA your spouse is paying social security tax and unemployment insurance. don't need VISA to come in and out of USA. H1 VISA only have 6yr limit.

issue is cost, paper work may cost US$4-5K but legal fees may cost US$4-20k depending on lawyer. company may get U to pay these fees.

thanks for all the info....very very very useful for us indeed! perhaps we really shld explore the option of getting a greencard if it's really so fast like what you've mentioned (we've been here for slightly over a year already).

right now, his employer is working on renewing his visa. they didn't mention that it could be easy for him to obtain a greencard. THEY = employer/colleagues (& indeed some of them are indian nationals). maybe they just want to avoid the hassles/costs for now....as renewing visa is prob easier and free for them.

that's actually quite alot of money to pay for a greencard based on your upper $ limit!!! is there an expiry too on the greencard?

yah...SPR is SGP PR.

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think even at the regular outlet prices....might still be cheaper than in SGP....so most SGPoreans won't mind paying.

i don't shop much at the outlets...instead i shop a lot at TJMaxx and Marshall over my side....always can find cheap and good (branded) stuffs (i.e. clothings/shoes/bags/sunglasses/cooking utensils) regardless of season. and in my opinion....at much better prices than at the outlets.

Thanks :) Will find out more about those 2 stores after I do more detailed planning on the itinerary. (Those are in NY right?)

patryn33: Wah. $30 timberland boots. sounds good. those factory outlets will have this price o not? hehe.

Anyway I'll most likely be travelling from 29mar-14apr. Taking qatar airways possibly. Seems to be the cheapest at $1451. China Eastern is about $1301. But...I rather pay $150 more for better food, better service and a personal TV for IFE infront of you. Mmm.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks :) Will find out more about those 2 stores after I do more detailed planning on the itinerary. (Those are in NY right?)

patryn33: Wah. $30 timberland boots. sounds good. those factory outlets will have this price o not? hehe.

Anyway I'll most likely be travelling from 29mar-14apr. Taking qatar airways possibly. Seems to be the cheapest at $1451. China Eastern is about $1301. But...I rather pay $150 more for better food, better service and a personal TV for IFE infront of you. Mmm.

those are outlet price when season is just over.
other wise outlet prices are usually ~US$50.

TJMaxx and Marshall in expensive residential area sells very good stuff.

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the info....very very very useful for us indeed! perhaps we really shld explore the option of getting a greencard if it's really so fast like what you've mentioned (we've been here for slightly over a year already).

right now, his employer is working on renewing his visa. they didn't mention that it could be easy for him to obtain a greencard. THEY = employer/colleagues (& indeed some of them are indian nationals). maybe they just want to avoid the hassles/costs for now....as renewing visa is prob easier and free for them.

that's actually quite alot of money to pay for a greencard based on your upper $ limit!!! is there an expiry too on the greencard?

yah...SPR is SGP PR.

renewing VISA?
H1B-1 VISA cannot apply for greencard, this VISA is for Singaporean can renew indefinately
only H1B is eligible and each VISA is for 3yrs, only can be renewed once.

renewal is cheaper, fees cost ~US$2.5k legal feels ~US$1-5K.

there is expiration on greencard, last for 5yrs and U have the option to become citizen. if u don't want to just keep it

devilish_me

Reaction score
renewing VISA?
H1B-1 VISA cannot apply for greencard, this VISA is for Singaporean can renew indefinately
only H1B is eligible and each VISA is for 3yrs, only can be renewed once.

renewal is cheaper, fees cost ~US$2.5k legal feels ~US$1-5K.

there is expiration on greencard, last for 5yrs and U have the option to become citizen. if u don't want to just keep it

sorry to hijack the thread =:p

my spouse is on H1B. his current one is only valid for 2.5yrs. employer is planning to renew it. employer is the state...so renewal is FOC.

i don't mind getting a greencard but i don't think i wanna become a citizen....yet.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
public school/uni is free?
I have ppl working in Uni still need to pay fee, no legal cost which is really good.
its like paying from State to Federal, accounting still needs to be clear I believe.
VISA thingy is managed by Federal gov not state gov.

anyway. U there for 1yr visa valid for 2.5yrs and renew so soon? on offense, add paper work and slow down others.

devilish_me

Reaction score

hi erwinlow...yup...lots of tjmaxx in NY. i highly recommend checking tjmaxx/marshall out. it's the only place that i go to for the better (slightly more branded) stuffs.

it's not the neatest, most well-organised place to shop though....it'd take some patience to rummage through the racks. it's not difficult to find coach, kate spade, juicy, MK, CK & many other high end designer stuffs at tj/marshall.

you can find clothings, bags & accessories, shoes, kitchenware, home goods, food stuffs, furniture, stationery, perfume, watches & jewelry, computer/iphone/ipod accessories, toiletries, books and all sorts of stuffs that you can possibly imagine.

if you are into cooking/baking...there are lecreuset, kitchenaid, cuisinart etc too. prices waaayyyy lower than retail prices. i get ALL my kitchen stuffs from there!

and no 2 shops are the same....they might carry different stocks or have a wider selection of different stuffs. so if you can't find what you want at one store....don't lose heart, just pop into the next one you see to check it out. it's also a good place to buy suitcases if you find yourself shopping way too much...the samsonite prices at tj are very attractive too.

all the best with your trip planning. let us know what you finally decide on - east or west coast.

devilish_me

Reaction score
public school/uni is free?
I have ppl working in Uni still need to pay fee, no legal cost which is really good.
its like paying from State to Federal, accounting still needs to be clear I believe.
VISA thingy is managed by Federal gov not state gov.

anyway. U there for 1yr visa valid for 2.5yrs and renew so soon? on offense, add paper work and slow down others.

no la...not renewing so soon (can only renew earliest 1/2yr prior to expiry anyway)...the school just informed that they are starting the tenure process soon but they'll do the H1B renewal first 'cos tenure process takes awhile (or so they claimed). plan is to apply for greencard after my spouse gets his tenure (or at least we thought that's the best way to go).

they ask us to check on the renewal procedure 'cos they've not done it before (small school no manpower....so everything must do ourselves..haha!).

i've checked regarding the renewal sometime ago....based on the instructions for I-129...institutions of higher education are exempted from the filing fee? at least that's what i've read on paper.

all these immgiration stuffs and tax filing stuffs always give me a massive headache. i'm so not looking forward to tax filing time....bleahh..

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no la...not renewing so soon (can only renew earliest 1/2yr prior to expiry anyway)...the school just informed that they are starting the tenure process soon but they'll do the H1B renewal first 'cos tenure process takes awhile (or so they claimed). plan is to apply for greencard after my spouse gets his tenure (or at least we thought that's the best way to go).

they ask us to check on the renewal procedure 'cos they've not done it before (small school no manpower....so everything must do ourselves..haha!).

i've checked regarding the renewal sometime ago....based on the instructions for I-129...institutions of higher education are exempted from the filing fee? at least that's what i've read on paper.

all these immgiration stuffs and tax filing stuffs always give me a massive headache. i'm so not looking forward to tax filing time....bleahh..

thats so sweet. so fast can get tenure.
tax is easy, just buy taxcut and do it.

living in USA have to learnt how to file tax, health insurance, if buy house the mortage is the icing on the cake, things break got to learn how to fix (pluming/fix dry wall, tiling install ceiling fans etc), buy car how to get interest rate down etc.

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
don't get kitchenaid cookware the mixer is alright.
lecreuset and cuisinart make better products. I buy alot of kitchen stuff from there too.

costco price on Samsonite is cheaper but as a traveler cannot shop without membership card. I got a carry-on Samsonite not too long ago from marshal and it cost me US$59.99. at costco a carry-on and check-in cost US$120.

issue with TJ max and Marshals sizes for guys are usually L or XL or XXL.
for ladies can try Loehmann.

Home Goods offer very good discount too. Its arranged very neatly prices are still low.

I have to agree with devilish_me no 2 stores are alike.

devilish_me

Reaction score
thats so sweet. so fast can get tenure.
tax is easy, just buy taxcut and do it.

living in USA have to learnt how to file tax, health insurance, if buy house the mortage is the icing on the cake, things break got to learn how to fix (pluming/fix dry wall, tiling install ceiling fans etc), buy car how to get interest rate down etc.

not fast...it's part of the terms of contract. my spouse was a tenured staff in his previous employment so they had to match the offer.

last year...i did the tax on my own without any help. had to read tonnes of stuffs to make sure i'm doing it right. we wanted to get around certain stuffs. this year...i might just get professional to help if it's not too costly.

ya...good thing about renting is...my landlord does everything!!! love him!! =:p

devilish_me

Reaction score
lecreuset and cuisinart make better products. I buy alot of kitchen stuff from there too.

costco price on Samsonite is cheaper but as a traveler cannot shop without membership card. I got a carry-on Samsonite not too long ago from marshal and it cost me US$59.99. at costco a carry-on and check-in cost US$120.

Home Goods offer very good discount too. Its arranged very neatly prices are still low.

i can tell you are a great cook!!!

lecreuset/cuisinart are fantastic...so tempted to lug a few cast iron cookware back to SGP. unfortunately can't bring back kitchenaid mixer :(

i don't have costco around here....but i've been hearing so much about it.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not fast...it's part of the terms of contract. my spouse was a tenured staff in his previous employment so they had to match the offer.

last year...i did the tax on my own without any help. had to read tonnes of stuffs to make sure i'm doing it right. we wanted to get around certain stuffs. this year...i might just get professional to help if it's not too costly.

ya...good thing about renting is...my landlord does everything!!! love him!! =:p

most Professional use tax software.
U can get them to once and in future get the software to do it.
it is easier that way.

yes renting is good in a way, landlord takes care of every little thing!!!
too bad not every state can claim tax refund on rent.

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Decided on heading to the east side. Will definitely go New York and Orlando.

Gonna start reading up on tripadvisor and google for more info. Any specific websites which have detailed info of those 2 cities?

Would it be cheaper to rent an apartment or stay in a hotel?

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

aww. so, we dont have to bring too much stuff. go there can buy a new samsonite then dump all our purchases in it? =:p

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi erwinlow...yup...lots of tjmaxx in NY. i highly recommend checking tjmaxx/marshall out. it's the only place that i go to for the better (slightly more branded) stuffs.

it's not the neatest, most well-organised place to shop though....it'd take some patience to rummage through the racks. it's not difficult to find coach, kate spade, juicy, MK, CK & many other high end designer stuffs at tj/marshall.

you can find clothings, bags & accessories, shoes, kitchenware, home goods, food stuffs, furniture, stationery, perfume, watches & jewelry, computer/iphone/ipod accessories, toiletries, books and all sorts of stuffs that you can possibly imagine.

if you are into cooking/baking...there are lecreuset, kitchenaid, cuisinart etc too. prices waaayyyy lower than retail prices. i get ALL my kitchen stuffs from there!

and no 2 shops are the same....they might carry different stocks or have a wider selection of different stuffs. so if you can't find what you want at one store....don't lose heart, just pop into the next one you see to check it out. it's also a good place to buy suitcases if you find yourself shopping way too much...the samsonite prices at tj are very attractive too.

all the best with your trip planning. let us know what you finally decide on - east or west coast.
mmm! but I guess I'll probably be buying clothing/bags etcetra. Probably not home goods/kitchenware as it'll be difficult to lug them back to singapore..

any of you guys have any hotels/apartments in mind already? preferable somewhere that is not too shabby, safe, and convenient?

appreciate all your help!

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Samsonite I usually wait for the discounts for the sets, get 5 pieces for like $100 or $80. Think I gave my costco card to friend liao, don't think it is in sg anymore, if not can just pass to you, not sure how long membership remaining though. Even factory outlet samsonite store, I don't find them cheap.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have not seen Samsonite that cheap before. $80 for 5 piece set? nice deal
U can find entry level ones for ~US$120 today.
http://www.buy.com/prod/samsonite-5-piece-travel-set/q/loc/16234/201649174.html
http://www.luggage.com/Samsonite-17386-1041-FE1443.html

costco membership is only valid for 1 yr.
at times they check the photo behind the card or name on card and ID, don't match they don't let U use.
BTW: Costco only take AMEX or Cash

Sam's Club is own by Walmart also requires membership to enter. They only take Discover Card or Cash.

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mmm! but I guess I'll probably be buying clothing/bags etcetra. Probably not home goods/kitchenware as it'll be difficult to lug them back to singapore..

any of you guys have any hotels/apartments in mind already? preferable somewhere that is not too shabby, safe, and convenient?

by home goods she also mean sheets. U can find RL or tommy sheets very cheap.

how many days U staying in NYC and Orlando? skipping Philly, Boston, DC, Niagara?
iirc there is a Tag Heuer outlet in NYC and Orlando, on a good day all items 50% off.

what is your budget for lodging a day?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.