calmex Abalone

bundy

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone know which supermarket outlet is selling it now ?

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Heard this year risen up to $110-120? Family likes to buy this brand but I've never liked abalone. To me, machiam eating rubber like that.

(^@^)"

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sexpensive. I only buy those Australian and New Zealand ones. $50 still ok. Anything above that, really can't part my money for it.

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
why mexico one so ex?

Last time i go australia.. i buy those non branded or ''oem'' one ish very cheap..

raven1019

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
why mexico one so ex?

Last time i go australia.. i buy those non branded or ''oem'' one ish very cheap..

Calmex's abalones are "golden" abalones from Gulf of Mexico. According to an uncle, abalones from the Mexico/Chile area are naturally "clean" so there is no need to boil/bleach it before tinning. Whereas the Australian ones... many of them are blackish/dark green when they are picked. Hence to clean it to a presentable abalone colour as we know it, they are usually bleached. Hence, eating the cheaper grades as we know them, is like eating bleach. Yucks!

I guess this also explains why Calmex abalones have a unique great taste non other canned abalones can duplicate! Many other brands just taste like tasteless rubber bands!
the quality is there , that is y i alway buy calmex even when it is more exp

Last edited:

raven1019

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
point to take note

On the top or btm of the can, you can find out what kind of abalones is inside by looking at the code on the can top or bottom.

If they say F1, it means it is First Grade with only 1 large piece of abalone.

F2 means First grade and with 2 pieces making up the weight.

FF1 means first grade with 1 and a half pieces.

F1C means first grade but the abalone is cut from a whole abalone so that it matches the 213g international standard.

B or S means second grade where the colour is not so nice and has not a nice shape. It is usually sold frozen.

Net Weight means the brine and the abalone excluding the metal can, which is usually 425g. The drained weight which is only the abalone itself with the brine, is usually 213g, 180g, 160g, 140g and 120g.

raven1019

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if they say 双头鲍

it means 2 abalones make up 一斤

compared to a 四头鲍, which needs 4 to make 一斤,

双头鲍 is better.

becuz it's heavier and bigger.

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
if they say 双头鲍

it means 2 abalones make up 一斤

compared to a 四头鲍, which needs 4 to make 一斤,

双头鲍 is better.

becuz it's heavier and bigger.

1 kg ? gosh.. very heavy.

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
point to take note

On the top or btm of the can, you can find out what kind of abalones is inside by looking at the code on the can top or bottom.

If they say F1, it means it is First Grade with only 1 large piece of abalone.

F2 means First grade and with 2 pieces making up the weight.

FF1 means first grade with 1 and a half pieces.

F1C means first grade but the abalone is cut from a whole abalone so that it matches the 213g international standard.

B or S means second grade where the colour is not so nice and has not a nice shape. It is usually sold frozen.

Net Weight means the brine and the abalone excluding the metal can, which is usually 425g. The drained weight which is only the abalone itself with the brine, is usually 213g, 180g, 160g, 140g and 120g.
now got a few other mexico brands for abalone also. around 80? taste pretty much the same as calmex imo.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.