Interactive Brokers - SGD now available for funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldray

Reaction score
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/ibg/main.php

Claims to have very low trading fees, but the description seems complicated, anyone has any experience with this company?

Hi chienwei, yes Interactive Brokers is indeed a established broker in the US.

You need a initial deposit of USD $10k or roughly around SGD $13k to start trading. After registration, you have to wire transfer the amt to your account.

Advantage is in their trading fees; US Stocks is USD $1 for 200 shares. In US, they dont have minimum amount of shares that you need to buy, such things as 1 LOT (1000 shares). You can buy 1 share of GOOGLE. Basically, if you buy 1000 shares of APPL, you only pay USD $5.

For Forex, you only pay 1 pip for EUR/USD, other currency pairs i am not too sure.

The disadvantage is that their customer services is lousy (you can take it as there is no customer service) and as for charting, you can take is as no charting tools provided as it sucks also. But if you have a IB account, you can hook up to http://www.ninjatrader.com/ to provide you with a better charting platform for free.

Each month, you need to make a minimum trades, otherwise they will charge you USD $30+ or so.

[This is my own personal advice and does not represent any HWZ Money Mind Moderators]

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/ibg/main.php

Claims to have very low trading fees, but the description seems complicated, anyone has any experience with this company?

I don't have first-hand experience with them, but in short - yep, they're legit. They offer such low brokerage because they cater to professionals, they trade vast volumes, and they internalise a lot of their flow (so they pick up the bid-ask spread on the trade as well as the brokerage).

Their minimum activity fee is $10 USD a month, which still makes them cheaper than your average Singaporean broker as long as you trade at least once a month. They've got an HK arm as well, if you'd rather not set up an account with their USA-ian arm for whatever reason.

IB is not for n00bs, though - apparently their Trader Workstation software is pretty user-unfriendly, and as aldray says, their customer service can be a bit hit-or-miss. (Also, they don't offer Singaporean stocks, which is a bit of a downer - if they did, I'd switch my accounts there in a heartbeat.)

jimbb80

Reaction score
I was about to open an account with them as well but SAXO makes life easier and possibly worth the higher fees.

I had 2 questions i never had answered regarding Interactive Brokers. perhaps someone here knows the answers

1) Is all SGD funding automatically exchanged into USD regardless if you are investing into USD funded assets or just keeping the cash in the acct? or can you hold both SGD and USD in the account at any one time

2) You need a min. 10k usd to open the account but does this also mean the value of the acct can not go below this?

3) How does taxation work. do they withold US taxes and then make us fill out a form to get it back? or they let us take care of everything ourselves?

thanks for the help guys.

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Only US$.
2. $10K to open. Don't think you need to maintain a minimum of $10K.
3. You can file W8 form electronically. No US tax withholding.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Only US$.
2. $10K to open. Don't think you need to maintain a minimum of $10K.
3. You can file W8 form electronically. No US tax withholding.

Are you sure about #3? I thought IB automatically withheld the 30% dividend tax on US equities (I know Saxo does).

Regarding #1 - you might only be able to fund in USD, but you can hold non-USD cash balances in your account, and switch your cash between currencies as well.

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't think they have multi currency account. As for W8 submission... I did many times liao.... fill the electronic form ... type in your full name in signature box and click submit button.:o

jimbb80

Reaction score
thanks guys.

out of curiousity - do you guys have a USD based acct or a SGD one and exchange SGD for USD each time you take USD based positions? trying to figure out which one is best to have

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you don't trade much US stock then just use any local broker. If you use local, best to have US$ and S$ currency account. If not, you suffer conversion loses for each trade. Keep in mind that local broker charge can easily double that of US and there is custodian charges for holding US stock in your local broker account.

sAVaGEmP5

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about #3? I thought IB automatically withheld the 30% dividend tax on US equities (I know Saxo does).

Regarding #1 - you might only be able to fund in USD, but you can hold non-USD cash balances in your account, and switch your cash between currencies as well.

I think everyone, regardless US citizens / non-US suffer this 30% tax on dividends. But if im not wrong US citizens suffer taxes on capital gains whereas we don't.

zratter

Reaction score
Since this is a US brokerage, is account opening more difficult compared to local brokerage that can trade in US stocks? How do you transfer the funds back to Singapore?

chienwei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks people. Seems more complicated than I imagined, will stick to using local brokerages for US stocks for now, while i try to find out more abt IB

sAVaGEmP5

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1 tip for u.. u definitely losing out alot alot more if u use a sg broker to trade a us exch stock, compared to using a us broker to a us exch, unless ur trading is low vol, or say <20k a month that type.

chopra

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to withdraw funds in foreign brokerages like IB or OptionsXpress?

Does any of you open a USD current account here?

I realised it costs alot if we convert to SGD and deposit it in bank...the forex spread is v. wide.

sAVaGEmP5

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to withdraw funds in foreign brokerages like IB or OptionsXpress?

Does any of you open a USD current account here?

I realised it costs alot if we convert to SGD and deposit it in bank...the forex spread is v. wide.

Welcome to the markets ? Thats how currency works.

Buggier

Banned
Reaction score
dont know if any of you need still interested with IB, but i have been with them for over 2 years and i love their commissions..

dont have keep your funds in USD because you can convert your $$ with them (like i can convert my USD in my IB account into EUR through their FX platform and TT the euros to my euro denominated bank account in europe :s13: crazy cheap interbank rate)

sAVaGEmP5

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hows the comms like ?

I m having -
$9.95 usd for stock trade
$1.25 usd for option contract

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IB charge $1 per trade for stock. Not sure of others, as I trade stock only in IB.
You need to have 30 trades per month, otherwise, another $30 per month.

cardiozee

Reaction score
IB charges decently compared to others. Also, they provide access to a lot of equity exchanges world wide just incase you want to trade stocks from different countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.