calmex Abalone

bundy

Master Member
Reaction score
hmm, so where can i can calmex, when to a few coldstorage and NTUC no stocks..lol

tourniquet

Reaction score
point to take note

On the top or btm of the can, you can find out what kind of abalones is inside by looking at the code on the can top or bottom.

If they say F1, it means it is First Grade with only 1 large piece of abalone.

F2 means First grade and with 2 pieces making up the weight.

FF1 means first grade with 1 and a half pieces.

F1C means first grade but the abalone is cut from a whole abalone so that it matches the 213g international standard.

B or S means second grade where the colour is not so nice and has not a nice shape. It is usually sold frozen.

Net Weight means the brine and the abalone excluding the metal can, which is usually 425g. The drained weight which is only the abalone itself with the brine, is usually 213g, 180g, 160g, 140g and 120g.

Then drained weight is 255g means what. Cause i just bought it, super ex 135 sia...

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
point to take note

On the top or btm of the can, you can find out what kind of abalones is inside by looking at the code on the can top or bottom.

If they say F1, it means it is First Grade with only 1 large piece of abalone.

F2 means First grade and with 2 pieces making up the weight.

FF1 means first grade with 1 and a half pieces.

F1C means first grade but the abalone is cut from a whole abalone so that it matches the 213g international standard.

B or S means second grade where the colour is not so nice and has not a nice shape. It is usually sold frozen.

Net Weight means the brine and the abalone excluding the metal can, which is usually 425g. The drained weight which is only the abalone itself with the brine, is usually 213g, 180g, 160g, 140g and 120g.

Yes, your guideline is standards but only for American. Local or regional produce does not rely on your above standards.

Starlight, New Moon etc etc all having their own coding, you will no find your standards on their can of abalone.

babyanjel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, your guideline is standards but only for American. Local or regional produce does not rely on your above standards.

Starlight, New Moon etc etc all having their own coding, you will no find your standards on their can of abalone.
ish info from angmo site bah.. local i think most people go by... how many abalone per can.. 1? 1.5? 2? :p

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
I just bought mine California mexico (black can only) at $88.80 (Limited number) at Cold Storage (vivo). Free gift include "Xue Ha" 6 packs. Forgot the brand liao, given to my Mum0in-law.

I was considering the new moon XL abalone 454gm at $68 (NZL) and duno nice or not.

The moment I told my dad it is the new packaging for Calmex (wheel brand), he knew its good. He again dug from me $200 for ingredients for CNY dinner at home.

$$$ fly...away...

Last edited:

(^@^)"

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just bought mine Calmex (black can only) at $88.80 (Limited number) at Cold Storage (vivo). Free gift include "Xue Ha" 6 packs. Forgot the brand liao, given to my Mum0in-law.

I was considering the new moon XL abalone 454gm at $68 (NZL) and duno nice or not.

The moment I told my dad it is the new packaging for Calmex (wheel brand), he knew its good. He again dug from me $200 for ingredients for CNY dinner at home.

$$$ fly...away...

Calmex got black can? What's the diff?

$68 for NZ abalone sounds ex. So what's with the XL abalone? It's almost twice the price of normal NZ abalone.

bundy

Master Member
Reaction score
was at the Shi Ma lu (queen st) shop, they are all selling the original package calmex at $125. anyone know which other super market sell it at a lower price ?

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
abalone-620%281%29.jpg

Above Califorina Mexico Abalone is not the real Original Calmex from Ocean Garden. Please see below.

http://www.oceangarden.com/

Predominantly, Calmex is the original best abalone are caught wild off the coast of Mexico/california border by "ocean garden"

California Mexico is another company "South China Sea Farming" also catching the same wild abalone from same area. Newly launched in late 2009, it got world renowned food critics "Mr Cai Lan" as ambassador for its abalone.

220px-%E8%94%A1%E3%81%95%E3%82%93.jpg

I took the buy because I trust the ambassador and also Dr Leslis Tay recommendation with thumb up.

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
Calmex got black can? What's the diff?

$68 for NZ abalone sounds ex. So what's with the XL abalone? It's almost twice the price of normal NZ abalone.

Calmex can is only pink.

California-Mexico brand have black & red. Black can contain is yellow lip abalone (best) and red can contain blue abalone larger. Usually 255gm weight.

New Moon NZ Abalone having larger size can at $68 weighing 455gm which I called it XL can.

Normal abalone standard weight best at 250-255gm.

babyanjel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
abalone-620%281%29.jpg

Above Califorina Mexico Abalone is not the real Original Calmex from Ocean Garden. Please see below.

http://www.oceangarden.com/

Predominantly, Calmex is the original best abalone are caught wild off the coast of Mexico/california border by "ocean garden"

California Mexico is another company "South China Sea Farming" also catching the same wild abalone from same area. Newly launched in late 2009, it got world renowned food critics "Mr Cai Lan" as ambassador for its abalone.

220px-%E8%94%A1%E3%81%95%E3%82%93.jpg

I took the buy because I trust the ambassador and also Dr Leslis Tay recommendation with thumb up.

from the same regions in baja california. friend says the black can one is very tasty. may buy some give my father in law this cny

i'm trying another brand now and some other smaller sizes.. found something really tasty.. better than mexican ones :p or at least during my steam boat last nite had positive reviews from everyone there

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.