Is book depository the cheapest place to buy books?

whyearth

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
book depository got worldwide shipping?

amazon.com i also nvr buy before, got worldwide shipping or must use those external coys?

tonytrigger

Reaction score
Very disappointing, my book was dispatched on 13 December but it has not arrived yet. Really slow service. Same goes for their customer service, they take a hell of a time to reply to my emails.

deadbeat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
to be fair, thats xmas/new year shipping. the whole world also facing slow shipping around this time as its the busiest period of the year coupled with holidays

tonytrigger

Reaction score
Just got my book from the postbox. Well it isn't wrapped, but just in an air-sealsed package with bubblewrap-theres a really small tear on the back cover, no other defects.

nightstalker2

Reaction score
The slow shipping is probably due to Royal Post, and more recently, SingPost's slowness.

My seller shipped a cable out from Hong Kong on 4 Dec.
I have yet to receive it. I think SingPost lost it or screwed up somehow.

deadbeat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The slow shipping is probably due to Royal Post, and more recently, SingPost's slowness.

My seller shipped a cable out from Hong Kong on 4 Dec.
I have yet to receive it. I think SingPost lost it or screwed up somehow.
my shipment from HK, normal post on the 28th of dec reached me yesterday, so i think your parcel is MIA already

zhirui84

Reaction score
Textbooks i get them second hand on eBay, receive them in around 2 weeks. cheapest prices for textbooks.. get them for SGD$10~30 for second hand
Self-help/business reading books/novels I get them from secondhandbooks
Some firsthand books I buy them at bookdepository if the price is worth it.. definitely cheaper than the bookstores. and free postage too.
Edit: Bookdepository takes 3 weeks~1 month for me. (around 4 weeks)
Edit: I just received my order from Bookdepository a few days ago. I ordered it on 14th Dec 2010. Orders take time to process, a normal order by Royalmail would take around 12~14 days (not working days) to arrive from UK/US. I received a textbook from eBay delivered from USA in about 10 days, and some from the UK in 15 days.

Last edited:

sugarfin

Reaction score
Do check both bookdepository.co.uk and bookdepository.com. Their prices are different.

I just ordered a book from .co.uk and later discovered it was US$14 more than the listed price on .com. :s27:

Their customer service is horrible. My simple question on the book cover took them 4 days to reply.

sugarfin

Reaction score
Just to update my issue...I took to Twitter to get replies from Bookdepository. And they are really quick on Twitter. They will be giving me a refund of the price difference. So now I'm back in the arms of Bookdepository. ;) Will be more alert when I shop next time though.

So anyone having trouble getting whole of Bookdepository's CS, try Twitter.

nightstalker2

Reaction score
gosh! I never realised there is a difference between the .co.uk and the .com site!
and indeed, .com seems to be cheaper by a bit!

Reaction score
Cheapest doesn't usually get you the best service. Bookdepository may be cheap but tracking number is not available, and they ship using bubble envelope. It won't sustain knocks from UK to Singapore.

But if you don't mind damages, bends etc, and delays it can be a good source of books

sugarfin

Reaction score
Honestly I haven't gotten any damaged books from Book Depository...*yet*. And the deliveries r predictably 2 weeks.

Still the best prices around...especially for hardbacks. My best buy so far is a leather bound copy of Chronicles of Narnia with cardboard sleeve. Postage was around S$30 and I paid only S$50+ for it. Don't think I can find that edition anywhere else for that price. :)

bykte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am able to get books at cheap prices...cheaper than what you can get online due to bulk orders...pm me if interested

anumericalevil

Master Member
Reaction score
it's cheaper than say, kino for manga! anyway i made a mistake with my order (wanted to put 10% disc code) but ended up making the whole txn, and i sent an email 4 days ago, but no reply as of yet.

does not look good to me. i hope my mangas arrive...

anumericalevil

Master Member
Reaction score
alrighty guys, i think most of the delays in delivery services nearing the end of the year is due to the higher volume of orders (christmas, new year, etc.), so it's expected to have delays.

i just got my manga delivered to me yesterday, exactly 2 weeks after the shipping date! it arrived unscathed and in perfect condition. im extremely pleased with my delivery and was so ecstatic, i sent them a letter of appreciation, lol. xD

pictures here:

A. The bubble-wrap envelope that keeps your book safe

179261_1613177126166_1138424683_31308555_2122258_n.jpg

B. The back view~

167520_1613177006163_1138424683_31308554_7507934_n.jpg

C. A peek inside!

168982_1613176166142_1138424683_31308551_4985793_n.jpg

D. Book in perfect condition with the order details sheet!

168002_1613179366222_1138424683_31308557_3994988_n.jpg

i'm just soooo happy with my purchase, and i still have more pre-orders to expect. im gonna order more non-mangas. i'll update with the pictures when they arrive.

oh btw, i ordered this on the 18th of Jan, it was shipped on the 20th of Jan and it arrived on the 3rd of Feb :D

it's cheaper than say, kino for manga! anyway i made a mistake with my order (wanted to put 10% disc code) but ended up making the whole txn, and i sent an email 4 days ago, but no reply as of yet.

does not look good to me. i hope my mangas arrive...

and as for this, they replied to me 9 days later with apologies and promptly refunded me the difference by crediting my bank account. lol.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.