My Melbourne Itinerary

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really appreciate your advise :)

Thanks for the suggestion of staying at Apollo bay instead of Lorne. We're really not into Nparks or trails, more to food & "little" shopping, weather, breathtaking views, as well as R&R.

Did you go to the Amaze N Things and Ascombe Maze? Any idea which one is better?

May I ask what is at Nobbies Centre?

Is 1N in MP enough?

Hmm..if stay at Apollo bay means a long drive from MP (approx an hour more from Lorne) guess is more worth for us ya?

Thot of make a trip to Soverign Hill from Port Campbell, do you think is worth staying overnite (although i read that you're not too keen on SH huh). The 1N stop is mainly to break the journey to Melbourne instead of driving all the way.
Do you have any suggestion other than SH?

Many thanks :)

Didn't go Amaze N Things or Ascombe. Maybe in the next visit when the kids become more energetic. Nobbies Centre is actually a point on PI. On it is a seabird colony. Lots of birds! the boardwalk a lot of jiao sai. You cannot come closer than this to all the seagulls nesting.

1 nite in MP is OK. Nothing much but vineyards and stuff. BTW, if you pick strawberries, it is more expensive than buying them off the supermarket.

SH is well a letdown. The main attraction there is the Blood on the Southern Cross. Very good presentation on how Oz got this democracy movement going on. Other than that nothing much to offer but the town is rather quaint. Lots of old buildings. There is the gold museum if you are interested in all things gold. The kids might like it and tell of it to their friends. If not for the education, rather hard to justify going to SH. We witnessed gold being smelted and made into an ingot.

I know our experience with parks is with NParks. Hot and humid but that is not the case for VIC. The forests are cool. Well depending on when you go. I went in spring. I think now is summer progressing towards fall.

Last edited:

funnyclown

Reaction score
Yeah thanks.. we know is cool..done enough NParks in WA and NZ..hence no more forest for us =:p

Arghhh..SH to go or not :s22: Actually we'd been to Mel in 2003 F&E but did't drive. We join the coach tour from APT to puffing billy, dandenong, GRO and Mt.Buller but didn't go SH, thus wondering if I should do it this time. Not sure if it's the same as Arrowtown in NZ.

Well..gotta do more homework, just booked my flight will be in Mel for 12 days in early June.

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah thanks.. we know is cool..done enough NParks in WA and NZ..hence no more forest for us =:p

Arghhh..SH to go or not :s22: Actually we'd been to Mel in 2003 F&E but did't drive. We join the coach tour from APT to puffing billy, dandenong, GRO and Mt.Buller but didn't go SH, thus wondering if I should do it this time. Not sure if it's the same as Arrowtown in NZ.

Well..gotta do more homework, just booked my flight will be in Mel for 12 days in early June.

Since you have been to all those, then I would say MP and PI should be in. As for Ballarat and SH, up to you to put them in. I actually enjoyed the Grampians more than SH and Ballarat.

funnyclown

Reaction score
Grrr...should I skip Warrook Cattle Farm and get the 3park pass from penguin parade to do the Churchill heritage farm :s11::s11:

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Churchil Island is nice. Good for a short morning visit. Can even get the kids to milk Bessie the cow. They will be scared and maybe pinch once. I showed them all a full-blooded male technique of holding both teats and massaging them alternately. :D

Spikes

Reaction score
What's with the Chinese Shutter Infantry?? What's that exactly?

I'm reading to Melbourne in late May to early June this year too. Want to know more about the place =)

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's with the Chinese Shutter Infantry?? What's that exactly?

I'm reading to Melbourne in late May to early June this year too. Want to know more about the place =)

Tourists from China loh.

redtrooper

Reaction score
Excellent thread bro..

Hav been contemplating a roadtrip to VIC n u might hav just saved me time researching.

Lols..Thanx man..

Icycoolz

Reaction score
seriously if u are intending to go philips island and be impress by the so call 'penguin parade'. Either you get the premium seats, or don't watch at all. The general seating will always be crowded with people standing up, especially those chinese personal, whom will also take out their iphone and start shooting non stop. The penguin was not that impressive either. they gather in groups of 3 or 4 rarely 5. Not like how the photos describe them to be, where a huge group walking together. A tip for people that want to get a close up to those fairy penguin, by the time around 8 to 9 +pm when the penguin was already back their burrow. You can start to walk back, and occasionally u get to see those penguin outside the bush. Very interesting, and i bet it much better than that parade.

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
seriously if u are intending to go philips island and be impress by the so call 'penguin parade'. Either you get the premium seats, or don't watch at all. The general seating will always be crowded with people standing up, especially those chinese personal, whom will also take out their iphone and start shooting non stop. The penguin was not that impressive either. they gather in groups of 3 or 4 rarely 5. Not like how the photos describe them to be, where a huge group walking together. A tip for people that want to get a close up to those fairy penguin, by the time around 8 to 9 +pm when the penguin was already back their burrow. You can start to walk back, and occasionally u get to see those penguin outside the bush. Very interesting, and i bet it much better than that parade.

Was told by someone they saw penguin tio rape.

A bunch of them were heading back and right in front of the premium seat audience, one of the birds fell down. Then one of them walking behind ran up to the fallen bird and started humping it. :s13:

The whole premium seat audience burst out laughing.

Seriously. There is a "lost colony" of penguins if you know where to look. You don't need fees and they are right there in Melbourne itself.

funnyclown

Reaction score
Hi

Isn't adviseable to stay 2nites in Lorne or Mornington Peninsula (MP) instead of staying 1N in Lorne and 1N in Ballarat?

My dilemma now is -

We've not been to Sovereign Hill, thus wonder if it's worth a visit (with kids 11,13)?? Will it add any value to them? DH is reluctant to go as he "thinks" is not worth it.

Hence, if we are not travelling to Ballarat, should I change my route to:

1N in Phillip Island
1N or 2N in MP... OR
1N or 2N in Lorne

Are there more things to do in Lorne or MP?

Appreciate all advise & comments. Thanks :)

takuyazzz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any accomodation for 4pax to recommend at Port Campbell and Melbourne CBD? Preferably with cheap parking. TIA.

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

Isn't adviseable to stay 2nites in Lorne or Mornington Peninsula (MP) instead of staying 1N in Lorne and 1N in Ballarat?

My dilemma now is -

We've not been to Sovereign Hill, thus wonder if it's worth a visit (with kids 11,13)?? Will it add any value to them? DH is reluctant to go as he "thinks" is not worth it.

Hence, if we are not travelling to Ballarat, should I change my route to:

1N in Phillip Island
1N or 2N in MP... OR
1N or 2N in Lorne

Are there more things to do in Lorne or MP?

Appreciate all advise & comments. Thanks :)

Read this late. SH is not worth it. Seriously not worth it. What is worth it is the Blood on the Southern Cross show but they very evil. Bundle SH with the show.

I think Ballarat is still worth a visit if you like walking around and taking pictures of old buildings that are still standing.

2N at MP might be worth it. There is a night safari of sorts on MP. Lorne is more like go there and chillax. Cool whether from the state park, waterfalls if you like some hiking.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.