View Single Post
Old 19-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #1983
sunset73

Exclamation Tips on buying air con

Tips on buying air con for your house:

1. Consider your needs (Window/Casement/Sys 1-5)

Never over commit on something that you do not need. An air con which is left unused for long periods does not mean that it will work when you want it to.

2. Always service your air con regularly.

For new air cons (<1 year and frequent use, initial servicing period can be 6 months once. From 2nd year onwards, try to do it within a 3 to 4 month interval. Always make sure and ensure the technicians clear your drainage pipe (the source of evil for water leaks).

3. Always ask for advice from friends and relatives on good companies/installers to approach when you install air con. That would save you a lot of unnecessary problems in the future (even though the best technicians may also screw up )

4. Try to ask for discounts when buying air con.

Don't be too harsh too. The sales person needs to earn their commission too.

5. If your flat has a very weird design or a mansionette, always talk to the salesperson and try to arrange for a site visit.

This will prevent any mis-communications when the technicians come down to install air con subsequently.

6. If possible, upgrade your insulation.

If you have money to buy air con, spend a bit more to upgrade your insulation for a peace of mind. It really makes a difference a few months/years down the road.

7. Recommended brands with lesser problems are: Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Sharp, Daikin, Sanyo.

I have a reason why i do not want to mention the other two non jap-brands, but seriously no offense.

This is what i can share based on my experience. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited by sunset73; 19-01-2011 at 11:29 AM..