2Wire 2701HGV-E aka mio Box

cerealz

Reaction score
Hi Experts!

Can i check if this modem can be used with pacific net ADSL package?
Or only singtel can use? thx!!

liteScribble

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey gents, im using this 2701hgv-e,

im able to access the router, and view connections, change settings and everything. but when i try to click on anything that will access the firewall page nothing happens the net connect just seems to freeze awhile, and i can never access that page.

any idea whats going on?

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
just dumped the 2wire router/modem and replaced it with Prolink H2701 (Aztech has one as well.. should be either DSL605 or 705EU) for about $45.
No more random disconnects, very stable now :s7:

Last edited:

XpressFix

Reaction score
Recently I have diagnosed one of my customer's 2Wire 2701HGV-E modem, According to customer Singtel told him, the modem is malfunctioning and customer should buy new modem as persistent disconnection/intermittent connection issues continues. I have tested with different/better quality AC adaptor and issue resolved. I have also measured the output of original AC adaptor, it seemed to have some periodic ripple/spike which is related to dead output capacitor.

2Wire 2701HGV-E is actually has good features although singtel's own firmware limits some of the features. Biggest common issue due to the low quality AC adaptor. 2Wire 2701HGV-E manufactured in Malaysia and AC adaptor mass produced with in China.

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Recently I have diagnosed one of my customer's 2Wire 2701HGV-E modem, According to customer Singtel told him, the modem is malfunctioning and customer should buy new modem as persistent disconnection/intermittent connection issues continues. I have tested with different/better quality AC adaptor and issue resolved. I have also measured the output of original AC adaptor, it seemed to have some periodic ripple/spike which is related to dead output capacitor.

2Wire 2701HGV-E is actually has good features although singtel's own firmware limits some of the features. Biggest common issue due to the low quality AC adaptor. 2Wire 2701HGV-E manufactured in Malaysia and AC adaptor mass produced with in China.

You meant 2700HGx adapter instead.
PS: 2701 later batches are fully MIC instead.

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
any idea what router/modem to replace this junk?

Read post #929 for the modem
Router-wise any one will do, but pick a better one like dlink DIR-655 if u do BT or expect heavy traffic.
Do note that if u do this, Mio-TV will no longer be supported.

teryho

Reaction score
Router-wise any one will do, but pick a better one like dlink DIR-655 if u do BT or expect heavy traffic.

2wire is ADSL + VOIP _ MIOTV all in one, DIR-655 is router only.

For complete replacenent of 2wire, Speedtouch 706WL ADSL Voip router is a choice.

By the Way, ADSL modem + 3rd party router can never be completely replace ADSL all in one device, the sepapate ADSL Modem + router combination cannot have PPPoA connection which is better then PPPoE.

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
unfortunately all-in-ones lack gigabit ports, and cannot beat a good modem+router combination when it comes to BT/gaming.
You lose some, you gain some.

shin89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

hmm thanks for the advice, im not using any miotv/digital phone service, so should be ok buying a router and setting the 2wire to bridge.
which one would you guys recommend? was looking at the dir-655 and ASUS RT-N56U.

zyhopper

Reaction score
unfortunately all-in-ones lack gigabit ports, and cannot beat a good modem+router combination when it comes to BT/gaming.
You lose some, you gain some.

Yes, lose some, gain some.
BT is the pain for the AIO device, since its processor is not so powerful.
But for game, the response time is important, so PPPoA connection will win.
For the gigabit port, just add a switch will do.

Last edited:

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
hmm thanks for the advice, im not using any miotv/digital phone service, so should be ok buying a router and setting the 2wire to bridge.
which one would you guys recommend? was looking at the dir-655 and ASUS RT-N56U.

If you are having disconnection problems with the 2wire, setting it to bridge will not help.
I tried doing that, and ended up getting a separate modem.

Can't go wrong with either routers.
The reason im using dir-655 is .. it has been with me for 4 yrs and still running well. ASUS definitely looks good (will get it next if dir-655 dies on me).
RT-N16 boasts "Support up to 300,000 sessions for extensive P2P clients" :s7:
Engenius ESR9850 is a dark horse though; cheap (about 1/2 the price) and fast.

Last edited:

shin89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are having disconnection problems with the 2wire, setting it to bridge will not help.
I tried doing that, and ended up getting a separate modem.

Can't go wrong with either routers.
The reason im using dir-655 is .. it has been with me for 4 yrs and still running well. ASUS definitely looks good (will get it next if dir-655 dies on me).
RT-N16 boasts "Support up to 300,000 sessions for extensive P2P clients" :s7:
Engenius ESR9850 is a dark horse though; cheap (about 1/2 the price) and fast.

the 3 you mentioned were on my list to check lol. anyway so to solve the dc problems due to heavy bt traffic need to get a new modem? whats the one that you got?

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
Using prolink h2701.
Can't go wrong with Aztech DSL705EU either.
Both are around same price.
Didn't have time to do more research before i bought, but prolink boasts a "enhanced lightning arrestor" for $4 more, and the casing looks better designed with better ventilation.

cyberet

Reaction score
for those mio plans with 10mbps.

I understand st provides another phone line foc.

but what about modem? two as well? one for tv, the other for broadband/voice?

Thanks!

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for those mio plans with 10mbps.

I understand st provides another phone line foc.

but what about modem? two as well? one for tv, the other for broadband/voice?

Thanks!

Yup. The other is non wireless aztech 1000er

blade007

Master Member
Reaction score
There is a new modem/router from Singtel now for Mio. I saw my cousin got it. its a black box.

any idea anyone? is it much better? Will try to get the model no. to post here.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.